Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 56,548 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the helpful information I had my interview this week as well and i feel like i didn't receive as much information so this has been super helpful. Also i was curious as to whether if they took credit and background checks from the applicants within the first interview? did you happen to have this happen to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 AM

31 posts, read 52,989 times
So much great info here. I've been a lurker as well just trying to glean some info on all of this. I had a log number of 27XX and CB preference and got called in for an interview. Had it on Monday, obsessed and stressed and overprepared for it all. My husband and I are both self-employed as of this year (He started a new business and I got laid off in Dec and am now freelancing) so calculating our income was an absolute crapshoot. Last year I was making a salary that would have put us in the highest tier but now that we're both freelance we are in the 2nd band and just barely. We also sublet our apartment so we had to provide a bunch of docs from our current landlord and proof of payment as well as a letter from them stating that we are reliable and respectful tenants.

Because of our somewhat confusing situation I brought in a veritable truckload of documents - unemployment, severance letter, business losses, stock options, 401K, letters of projected 2017 income from our accountant. I think I might have intimidated the guy we interviewed with. I mean I had a cover letter with a synopsis of everything that was in the packet. And triplicates of the packet. Hoping all of that would mean less back and forth and asking for more docs and lead to a quicker approval. He did seem impressed with the organization though so if you haven't interviewed, I highly recommend creating a cover sheet with your log number, name, building you are applying to and then bullet point list of everything that's in the packet. The easier you make it for them, hopefully the easier the approval process will be.

Our guy (who was very sweet and informative) told me that it would be a minimum of 3-4 weeks before we might hear something back. He said that's optimistic but that I can reach out to him and the management company after that timeframe to check on the status.

I have a feeling this is going to be worse than the waiting game on the actual lottery. It's only been 4 days and I am even more obsessive. Checking all over the interwebs for info and news from others who are or have been in lotteries to glean as much info as possible and just try to feel like I am actively doing something even though it's now a waiting game.

Very glad I found this thread and people are updating on it - makes me feel less in the dark. Good luck all!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM

125 posts, read 211,561 times
From what I remember the credit/background check is done if you move forward. I believe thats what he said ...but dont quote me on that

Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 24,500 times
I had to sign papers for them to do background/credit checks last Friday during my interview. Maybe they won't actually run them unless I move forward, but I definitely signed them.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 PM

25 posts, read 56,548 times
Yea i signed as well just wondering when will they run them. I wonder when they'll start doing employment verifications? I also wonder if this building is as hyped up as 461 dean cause going through that thread is scary lol.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl2791 View Post
Yea i signed as well just wondering when will they run them. I wonder when they'll start doing employment verifications? I also wonder if this building is as hyped up as 461 dean cause going through that thread is scary lol.
It looked agonizing! I'm so worried I'm going to miss a letter in the mail. Do you think they'll send rejections only by mail as they did at Dean? I wish they'd do both mail AND email...

Old 07-20-2017, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl2791 View Post

I'm pretty sure that HDC (aka "the city") is the one that does employment verification. According to my interviewer, they will send your information to HDC only *after* they invite you to see the apartment. Basically, they don't want to waste HDC's time until they know for sure you want the apartment. (Some people don't like what they see and decide to withdraw.) So after the interview you're waiting for a phone call to see the apartment. That's the next step.

Also, this development sends rejection letters by email and you can only appeal through email.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Panda View Post
I'm pretty sure that HDC (aka "the city") is the one that does employment verification. According to my interviewer, they will send your information to HDC only *after* they invite you to see the apartment. Basically, they don't want to waste HDC's time until they know for sure you want the apartment. (Some people don't like what they see and decide to withdraw.) So after the interview you're waiting for a phone call to see the apartment. That's the next step.

Also, this development sends rejection letters by email and you can only appeal through email.
That's good to hear. Should make keeping up with things easier. Your interviewer told you that?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM

125 posts, read 211,561 times
So was last week just for people who have some sort of preference ? When I went on last Wednesday my interviewer said he thinks so.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdsimmons View Post
So was last week just for people who have some sort of preference ? When I went on last Wednesday my interviewer said he thinks so.
I have CB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery