Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times

Advertisements

Hello!!! Im new to this forum. Searched up 38 Sixth Ave and found this. Anyways I got selected back in November. Went in for the interview last week Wednesday. I'm just curios if the process will take long. Desperately looking for an apt right now and with my credit not looking good this gave me a bit of hope......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM

14 posts, read 17,436 times
Captkirk0915, Soooo get ready for the long haul. I was selected back in July and interviewed a week later. They requested some clarification on some financial papers involving my retirement. Then I got rejected for not responding but I did so I appealed. This was all in late August. Skip to mid October I get a call stating that my income had been approved and that they had pulled my credit and background. They wanted to send my file to HDC. But my employment had changed and to be honest I had given up on the apartment. So I told them I had a new job which took more verification and paperwork. I had about 5 explanation letters notarized. But I followed through and they were enough to finally send to HDC about 2 weeks later. They called me into the office to sign a bunch of concent forms for the HDC process. But lol they called me in a week later again to provide one last paper which I had to get a notarized affidavit for. Finally silence for a week and a half. Then on December 1st I was called and told I was approved by HDC and the apartment manager would get in touch with me. The emailed a week later to schedule a time for me to come in to sign the lease. I said as soon as possible. So this past Thursday I went in, signed, and requested my move in date for February 1st. (Had to push it off to find someone to take over my lease as when it ended I gave up on this place.)

So unless you have some crazy financial situation like payouts from retirement or savings accounts like I did the process should be a lot shorter. They are trying to fill up that place as fast as possible so they are moving quicker now. But get ready for at least another 2-3 months of waiting possibly. So my advice to you under your lease is to try to go month to month. Once your income is verified and they send your info to HDC it's pretty much a guarantee.

Hope this helps

Old 12-14-2017, 05:55 AM

220 posts, read 196,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BratNeeBee View Post
Captkirk0915, Soooo get ready for the long haul. I was selected back in July and interviewed a week later. They requested some clarification on some financial papers involving my retirement. Then I got rejected for not responding but I did so I appealed. This was all in late August. Skip to mid October I get a call stating that my income had been approved and that they had pulled my credit and background. They wanted to send my file to HDC. But my employment had changed and to be honest I had given up on the apartment. So I told them I had a new job which took more verification and paperwork. I had about 5 explanation letters notarized. But I followed through and they were enough to finally send to HDC about 2 weeks later. They called me into the office to sign a bunch of concent forms for the HDC process. But lol they called me in a week later again to provide one last paper which I had to get a notarized affidavit for. Finally silence for a week and a half. Then on December 1st I was called and told I was approved by HDC and the apartment manager would get in touch with me. The emailed a week later to schedule a time for me to come in to sign the lease. I said as soon as possible. So this past Thursday I went in, signed, and requested my move in date for February 1st. (Had to push it off to find someone to take over my lease as when it ended I gave up on this place.)

So unless you have some crazy financial situation like payouts from retirement or savings accounts like I did the process should be a lot shorter. They are trying to fill up that place as fast as possible so they are moving quicker now. But get ready for at least another 2-3 months of waiting possibly. So my advice to you under your lease is to try to go month to month. Once your income is verified and they send your info to HDC it's pretty much a guarantee.

Hope this helps
Thanks for this post and congrats. I was told my application was approved by HDC on 11/16 and that i would hear from the building manager for lease signing but its been about a month now and nothing... I am wondering if i should call MHANY now...

Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Called Mhany yesterday and today I viewed my unit and signed the lease. Since I choose Feb 1st as the lease start I have to redo the employment verification again since my file expires January 18th. Sighs...but almost there I guess

Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM

23 posts, read 37,555 times
Congratulations, Brooklynpad! Almost there!

I've sent in more paperwork for HDC, but have yet to go sign the affidavit.

I have a question for anyone that may know: Was the apartment shown to you by the leasing agent the one you were ultimately offered? Or did you have more of a choice once you were approved?

I was shown an apartment on the second floor, and the leasing agent seemed to think that would be the only one I would be offered, but MHANY insists that those are only sample apartments and that I may ultimately be offered a different apartment, and may have more choice. I'm confused and not sure who to believe...

Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyneer View Post
Congratulations, Brooklynpad! Almost there!

I've sent in more paperwork for HDC, but have yet to go sign the affidavit.

I have a question for anyone that may know: Was the apartment shown to you by the leasing agent the one you were ultimately offered? Or did you have more of a choice once you were approved?

I was shown an apartment on the second floor, and the leasing agent seemed to think that would be the only one I would be offered, but MHANY insists that those are only sample apartments and that I may ultimately be offered a different apartment, and may have more choice. I'm confused and not sure who to believe...
Thank you!

Initially I was shown a model 1 bedroom unit on the 3rd floor before my file was sent to HDC. After I was approved I was shown my official unit. I thought I would see both a studio and 1 bedroom since I qualified for both but I had said I was only interested in the 1 bedroom so that’s all I was shown.

It may be also that I only saw my official unit since it has an added disability accommodation as requested in my application.

Side note there was some water damage in my official unit so I was shown an apartment on the 12th floor with the exact same layout as well. They plan to fix the leak and replaster a wall before my move in.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 17,436 times
I was shown the 1 bed apartment on the 9th floor that I originally saw. I was expecting to get a different to be honest.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,038,144 times
I just got a notice about submitting documents and coming in for an interview for this - my log was 13,xxx with no preferences, it said I was randomly selected. I actually span two bands for a studio and one band for a 1 bedroom, but looking at the rents I'd only consider the cheaper studio, of which there are fewer units and likely leased up already. Even then the cheaper studio would be a stretch, so I am not sure it will be worth me pursuing this even though that location is about as Brooklyn-central as it gets.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:58 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,867,870 times
I received an invite as well but was approved today for another building in the same area (a building I wanted more) I won’t respond until I sign my lease, I have until 1/4.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I received an invite as well but was approved today for another building in the same area (a building I wanted more) I won’t respond until I sign my lease, I have until 1/4.
I saw your other thread congrats Marsha Your building looks amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery