Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,866,838 times

Advertisements

I think the issue is that there's going to be a TON of appeals with lower log numbers than you have, but they have to market the apartment to a certain number of people to get the leasing on track. Everyone basically appeals so it slows the process down and many times they win just based on the incompetency of the non-profit agencies running these lotteries and if someone wins an appeal with a lower log number than you, they will get the apartment... which is fair, but it makes it a very hairy process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Also, there's housing lottery "coaches" now. a niche industry that basically helps people get their appeals won. You pay them to fight for your apartment, and they win a LOT! I noticed this in all my interviews inside the Au Bon Pain at MetroTech on the days where I was there for my intakes and stuff. I noticed multiple families being coached by people with all their documents on the tables and giving them advice. My hearing sucks so I wasn't always able to evesdrop as much as I wish I was able to. There's also housing advocates that are paid by the city to make sure some tenants get their foot in the door before randos like people like us. There's a ton of shade in the entire process and most of it is legal, but it's still shady. Poverty pimps are definitely making bank on trying to get the homeless bumped up on these lists and fast-tracked.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:31 PM

^ to edit. I don't mean my interviews took place in that au bon pain.... i mean i was just sitting there drinking coffee and overhearing/witnessing a lot of housing lottery coaching going on since it's right downstairs from where all the interviews take place.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:15 AM

22 posts, read 34,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
^ to edit. I don't mean my interviews took place in that au bon pain.... i mean i was just sitting there drinking coffee and overhearing/witnessing a lot of housing lottery coaching going on since it's right downstairs from where all the interviews take place.
wow that's nuts. good to hear that people are actually winning these appeals with coaching - would suck if they were just getting scammed by these "coaches". my process dealing with mhany has been helped by the fact that i work right at metrotech, so passing along documents hasnt been a hassle

Old 01-11-2018, 08:44 AM

6,698 posts, read 6,075,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhamilton View Post
wow that's nuts. good to hear that people are actually winning these appeals with coaching - would suck if they were just getting scammed by these "coaches". my process dealing with mhany has been helped by the fact that i work right at metrotech, so passing along documents hasnt been a hassle
What would suck more is if there are people without any real issues and they get bumped or put on a waitlist because the rejected applicant with the loser boyfriend who is going to live with the lottery girlfriend was finally able to prove on his documents that he's unemployed with one of these housing coaches

Old 01-11-2018, 12:21 PM

220 posts, read 196,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynguy123 View Post
We saw some apartments there today, now we're just crossing our fingers that all goes well after they send the paperwork up to HDC (I believe that's the next step). The building itself still feels very incomplete, but the apartments are done well and feel spacious. The two band 4 and one band 5 apartments we saw were ~650 square feet. So close yet so far !!! Has anyone gotten this far and been turned down?
I think you are good so far. It took about a month to two months after I saw the apartment when I got the call that I was approved. Hang in there.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,370 times
Well its good to know that I may still lose out here and not too keep our hopes wildly high. We actually have both CB and municipal employee preferences so I was thinking that my low log number might not be as much of a factor. Seeing the apartments and losing out now would be such a tease, I hope it doesn't come to that, my partner would be devastated. At the same time, I would totally understand someone with better numbers and a good appeal getting in ahead of us, I would just look back at the experience in general as bad.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 PM

quote:
What would suck more is if there are people without any real issues and they get bumped or put on a waitlist because the rejected applicant with the loser boyfriend who is going to live with the lottery girlfriend was finally able to prove on his documents that he's unemployed with one of these housing coaches

totally

Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 AM

220 posts, read 196,967 times
LOL building concierge has informed me that they need a $500 certified check that will be returned to me after I complete my move in. Apparently this is insurance so I don't mess up the lobby, hallways etc

Moving is expensive! -__-

Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,878,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynpad View Post
LOL building concierge has informed me that they need a $500 certified check that will be returned to me after I complete my move in. Apparently this is insurance so I don't mess up the lobby, hallways etc

Moving is expensive! -__-
A lot of buildings do this, my sister had to when she moved in (another building) but got it back literally 5 minutes later. I think this applies to self moves only, if moving company they would/should have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery