Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 AM

220 posts, read 196,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1451 View Post
Not sure if current residents are checking this but curious how everyone is liking it? My main concern is the noise from the Barclays center when there are shows/games and the general feeling of being in the middle of chaos when walking around or getting home.

I toured a studio last week and it was gorgeous, much bigger and well laid out than the one i saw at 535 Carlton.
Hi Jessie,

The noise don't really come from the Barclays but rather construction across the street during daytime or the fire trucks as the fire station is across the street. Closing the window helps to mute the city sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 AM

26 posts, read 15,650 times
Thanks for responding brooklynpad! I'm on the waitlist for now but it's good to know the noise isn't too bad

Old 07-24-2018, 02:42 PM

23 posts, read 37,531 times
I face Barclays, and am not very far up. The Barclays green roof is the view outside my window. And I don't hear a thing. Total silence. No need to worry about it.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 12,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1451 View Post
Not sure if current residents are checking this but curious how everyone is liking it? My main concern is the noise from the Barclays center when there are shows/games and the general feeling of being in the middle of chaos when walking around or getting home.

I toured a studio last week and it was gorgeous, much bigger and well laid out than the one i saw at 535 Carlton.
Apparently, the building is only wired for Fios.

As for noise, sometimes there's street traffic noise on a friday night before a big concert but I don't find it that bad if your windows are closed and it doesn't last all night. I never feel like its chaotic, sure a little busy sometimes but you have great convenience with that also.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
Happy to find this thread still active! We just turned in our application and it will be sent soon to HDC. I've waded through the thread a bit, but curious if anyone who has applied recently (through Pinnacle, not MHANY) could tell me about how long it takes to hear back from HDC, and from that point, how long until move in? Also, is first month + last month required at signing, or is there a different deposit amount? Thanks!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 AM

22 posts, read 34,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut8473 View Post
Happy to find this thread still active! We just turned in our application and it will be sent soon to HDC. I've waded through the thread a bit, but curious if anyone who has applied recently (through Pinnacle, not MHANY) could tell me about how long it takes to hear back from HDC, and from that point, how long until move in? Also, is first month + last month required at signing, or is there a different deposit amount? Thanks!
It's 1st + security deposit

Old 08-03-2018, 11:35 AM

22 posts, read 34,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentrifiedScallion View Post
The building parking is market rate. No discounts. Expect $400+ monthly and it's the only lot on the block of Barclay so expect traffic.

The gym is rather small, so I think the no guests policy makes sense.

If you have big things to throw out (ex. bed frames), did they say how that's handled?
big stuff seems to go in the side door next to the elevators on the ground floor. I suppose you can ask the folks in the lobby to use the service elevator if it's free and transport it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollyimgully View Post
Anyone have spectrum in the building?
I feel like when i did my walk through many moons ago, they said spectrum and verizon, but it turns out to be fios only. not a problem for me, but i hope they've made that clear by now

Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 8,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg11231 View Post
I don't know if anyone is still checking this. I have been reading this thread for the past few weeks and it has made me much more informed. I wish I had come on here back in August when I first got called for this lottery. My lottery number is 88,xxx, which is very high, but I had CB preference. Band 4. I interviewed in August and got all of my paperwork approved. I never viewed an apt. Then, I was told that I was only eligible for a Band 4 studio and put on the waitlist (I got the waitlist notification in early 2018). I was surprised by this because my salary fell in the range for a Band 4 studio and 1 bedroom, as well as a Band 5 studio. I figured they must calculate income differently and didn't push the issue because the 1 bedroom is hundreds of dollars more expensive than my current 1 bedroom in a very desirable part of Brooklyn. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I saw 38 sixth being put on the open market and wondered if they had gone through all the lottery candidates. I reached out to MHANY to see if all of the band 4 apartments were filled and asked why my income didn't qualify for the 1 bedroom. They were very nice and responded quickly. The person who responded was different than the person who originally managed my case. She had me send updated financial documentation, which I did immediately. She confirmed that I qualified and set up a viewing for me. When I spoke to her, she said that I "must have gotten a raise." However, I have not. My salary is exactly the same as it was in August and as was stated in my employment verification back then, so the person who initially viewed my file obviously screwed up.

If justtonyny viewed a Band 4 1 bedroom in May and did not have CB preference, then I definitely got skipped in line by who knows how many people. I bring this up because I viewed the remaining two Band 4 1 bedrooms today and they were abysmal - small, terrible views, miniscule windows (not to mention someone had taken a dump in the bathroom toilet). I immediately told them I was no longer interested in continuing with the lottery. But now I wonder if there were other Band 4 1 bedrooms (or even Band 5 studios) that were considerably nicer that I missed out on because of their screw up. I can't imagine anyone paying that rent for the apartments I saw. Those of you who saw Band 4 1 bedrooms, what was your experience (for some reason, the images and floorplans that other people posted do not show up on the thread for me)? Or were apartments in the other bands just better than band 4?

justtonyny, did you end up taking an apartment in 38 sixth?

I viewed band 4 but they ended up not being available by the time I was up. Decided to go ahead with the band 5 1 br.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,440 times
Just got contacted an apartment for this building. Was wondering what’s the deal with parking over there. Does this building have a garage? Where is it located? Can’t seem to see an entrance for it. Anyone know what the rates are? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:36 AM

9 posts, read 12,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovercetti View Post
Just got contacted an apartment for this building. Was wondering what’s the deal with parking over there. Does this building have a garage? Where is it located? Can’t seem to see an entrance for it. Anyone know what the rates are? Thanks.
The garage is tucked away on the Dean side of the building. I don't know the monthly rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery