Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 31,187 times

Advertisements

I applied to a Mitchell Lama Co-op a few years ago. I'm currently on the list for a one bedroom. At the rate the list is moving, it seems as if I'll get called later on this year to move in. I'm getting married later on this year. When I initially applied, I was single, and only my toddler and I were on the application. With the marriage, will I be disqualified for the one bedroom and have to wait longer for the two bedroom instead? The two bedroom list is much longer wait. If we get married before they call me, how will this affect us getting in?
Once I'm in, I plan on requesting a transfer to a bigger apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,286 times
This is a tough situation. Yes, you will most likely not be allowed to move three people into a 1bdr apartment under Mitchell lama guidelines. I would call the management company of the co-op to confirm. The best strategy would be to wait until you get the apartment, and then get married, and then add your husband on the lease. HPD, HCR, and HUD will find out if you get married and don't include him on the lease but have a marriage license. Another option is to have the marriage ceremony, but wait to get the actual marriage license with the city until you have secured the apartment. Another option would be to call the management company after you get married and let them know that your family composition size has changed and that you are requesting a 2bedroom. Under Mitchell lama regulations, you cannot be penalized and so your name will be inserted into the 2bdr waiting list with time.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
They let people move into a one bedroom in the Mitchell Lama co-op I lived in with a toddler or baby. You could immediately put your name on the 2 bedroom list, but the wait could be YEARS. I know a couple who waited 7 years and had a second child before their name came up for 2 bedrooms. By then they also had their name on the 3 bedroom, but you could die on that waiting list.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Usually with a toddler you are entitled to a 2 bedroom apartment and that is the list you should have applied for. Yes, get on the 2 bedroom list ASAP.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They let people move into a one bedroom in the Mitchell Lama co-op I lived in with a toddler or baby. You could immediately put your name on the 2 bedroom list, but the wait could be YEARS. I know a couple who waited 7 years and had a second child before their name came up for 2 bedrooms. By then they also had their name on the 3 bedroom, but you could die on that waiting list.

I know someone in EXACTLY the same situation, but they DID get the 3-bedroom apartment 4 or 5 years after their second child was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery