Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,588,113 times

Advertisements

Less than a year for two calls, one random, one a lucky number on the list. Rejected both times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 06:06 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,222,694 times
16 years for the current spot, probably one of the couple best deals in the City...but I have been in this game for maybe 40 years in two states.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-11-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM

151 posts, read 155,313 times
Less than 2 years applying for lottery. Received initial rejection letter, appealed, interviewed, secured apartment. Took almost 4 weeks from interview to acceptance.

Compared to all these other stories it moved extremely fast.

Ask, believe, receive

Old 04-11-2017, 09:13 AM

127 posts, read 216,707 times
About a year or so, but am fortunate to live in a part of the BX experiencing a large volume of new construction every few months. All of which is usually affordable housing.

Since getting the apt. I have been picked for 2 different lotteries. I would say it comes down to equal parts luck and where you currently live.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 AM

20 posts, read 34,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
Only took me 6-8 months both times I won a lottery apartment (5 years ago and 1 month ago). This timeline is from when I initially started applying to my initial interview. I've been extremely lucky though.
You were able to move from one lottery apartment into another without any issues? Why did you move? I'd think that they'd be less inclined to accept people who are already in. Just curious because this is something I might like to do at some point to be able to move from a studio to a 1BR.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 AM

274 posts, read 486,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggletoggle View Post
You were able to move from one lottery apartment into another without any issues? Why did you move? I'd think that they'd be less inclined to accept people who are already in. Just curious because this is something I might like to do at some point to be able to move from a studio to a 1BR.
Bigger household size (and income). I went from a 2 bed to a 3 bed.
Although, I do not believe there is any law stating you can't move from 1 lottery building to another. I'm unsure though as I moved due to my household size increasing. They did request for me to send a notarize letter stating I'll relinquish my current apartment once I move into the new apartment. Might want to check in with HPD to see if it's possible for you.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:27 PM

20 posts, read 34,029 times
Got it. It sounds like it wouldn't be an issue. Now that they're phasing out the home visit it's probably less likely to cause any problems.

I wonder if a transfer within my building could be possible. I know when I was initially being considered for the studio and had mentioned my preference for a 1BR, they'd said if I stayed on the waitlist to I'd be a "low priority" to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: