Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM

532 posts, read 786,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Then the PJs are across the street. As was said surrounding area is not great and basic amenities are not close and/or lacking. Can go to Malcolm X Blvd or whatever, but didn't feel safe over there. Actually parts of the South Bronx feel safer.
aww you guys are killing my dream one reply at the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:06 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
aww you guys are killing my dream one reply at the time
If used to being in a *hood* environment, then will be fine. Am just pointing these things out. Would recommend you go for a *stroll* over the to see what you think of the supermarkets (can always to go Whole Foods on 125th which is opening this month) and see what you think about the vibe or whatever. Personally could not live there, but I pay market rent, so can be choosy. May work for you just fine. Just don't go in there blind *running* out of your dad's house or whatever. *Out of the pot and into the fire*. Am curious. How much would the apartment be in rent?

Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If used to being in a *hood* environment, then will be fine. Am just pointing these things out. Would recommend you go for a *stroll* over the to see what you think of the supermarkets (can always to go Whole Foods on 125th which is opening this month) and see what you think about the vibe or whatever. Personally could not live there, but I pay market rent, so can be choosy. May work for you just fine. Just don't go in there blind *running* out of your dad's house or whatever. *Out of the pot and into the fire*. Am curious. How much would the apartment be in rent?
i'm in the 1300 brackets

i'll wait to see if i get selected for another
I highly doubt it.
this lottery was open in 2016
I have to go there and see what it's like for sure

Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
i'm in the 1300 brackets

i'll wait to see if i get selected for another
I highly doubt it.
this lottery was open in 2016
I have to go there and see what it's like for sure
If willing to pay a little more, can get a nice studio in a better neighborhood. Would recommend Kingsbridge. Decent amenities, subway, express bus and MetroNorth nearby and *MUCH* safer.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
If willing to pay a little more, can get a nice studio in a better neighborhood. Would recommend Kingsbridge. Decent amenities, subway, express bus and MetroNorth nearby and *MUCH* safer.
haha can't pay more on a 55k salary
my social life will be gone

Old 07-05-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
haha can't pay more on a 55k salary
my social life will be gone
55k is actually not bad. Can certainly find a decent place at that price. If willing to pay $1300 - 1400, can find some decent 1 bedrooms or nice studios in much safer areas. Should search on Trulia and other places. Found one in Pelham Gardens. Price is very good, though may be in a finished basement.

https://www.trulia.com/rental/402588...-10469#photo-6

Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
55k is actually not bad. Can certainly find a decent place at that price. If willing to pay $1300 - 1400, can find some decent 1 bedrooms or nice studios in much safer areas. Should search on Trulia and other places.
i've searched
mostly crap for 1350+
you'd be paying for "safe area"

Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
i've searched
mostly crap for 1350+
you'd be paying for "safe area"
Am here to say you have to search in the Bronx and know the areas. As was said, can find something in that price range, but have to look or whatever. Can do Kingsbridge, Throggs Neck, Woodlawn and others. Would have to commute more, but would be in a safe neighborhood.

Can also try Parkchester. Rents are in your range. Area is mixed and safer than the current one you're considering:

https://www.trulia.com/rental/402586...-10462#photo-1

https://www.trulia.com/rental/400943...Bronx-NY-10462

Old 07-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Am here to say you have to search in the Bronx and know the areas. As was said, can find something in that price range, but have to look or whatever. Can do Kingsbridge, Throggs Neck, Woodlawn and others. Would have to commute more, but would be in a safe neighborhood.
thanks
i'll make a trip to this place and see if it's in my forte
otherwise i can always wait until i get another one
i'm in no rush to move out
i could stay at my dad until i'm 100 for all he cares lol
but i want to be independent

Old 07-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
thanks
i'll make a trip to this place and see if it's in my forte
otherwise i can always wait until i get another one
i'm in no rush to move out
i could stay at my dad until i'm 100 for all he cares lol
but i want to be independent
This one you should consider. Is in a co-op:

https://www.trulia.com/rental/402475...Bronx-NY-10451

Building is safe - has doorman. Express bus across the street and MetroNorth not far away. Also have subway nearby. Amenities aren't great, but can always get groceries elsewhere or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery