Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:28 AM

120 posts, read 186,262 times

Advertisements

Yesterday we completed the final step in our application, the home visit. It was very simple. She only walked into our living room, asked a few questions, and took a photo of us. I thought she would look in every room but she didn't.

We received our letter that an apartment was available on August 22nd. The manager told us after the home visit was completed it could take up to four weeks to hear back from the city or state (whatever it is, can't remember). I can't see any reason we wouldn't be accepted.

How long did it take you to close? I read on another thread it took 6 months from the date they received their initial letter to closing. Our lease is up at our apartment the end of November and I am wondering if it is realistic that we could close by then.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 AM

36 posts, read 75,247 times
I would not renew the lease. I went threw the same process last year and after the Home visit was completed it took the city 2 weeks to approval and we were moving in the next 3 weeks after�� It All depends on if the management has the unit fixed and ready for move in good luck! You should be in by Christmas or sooner��������

Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 AM

May I ask is this a coop? And what is the name of the property?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasutie721 View Post
I would not renew the lease. I went threw the same process last year and after the Home visit was completed it took the city 2 weeks to approval and we were moving in the next 3 weeks after�� It All depends on if the management has the unit fixed and ready for move in good luck! You should be in by Christmas or sooner��������
It isa coop. It's Goddard Riverside. The kitchen in this place is a disaster. Some things are being held together with duct tape and a door is missing. It's original. When you say fixed up, is there a chance they will fix this? We are expecting to do a whole renovation job but it would be nice to have it somewhat fixed while we save the money to do so. I was under the impression it is "as is." and no fixing would be done.

It would be great if the approval only takes 2 weeks.

I wasn't worried about this before but I guess I am worrying about anything I can now...we have $50k in student loans. Could this ruin our chances of being approved? Anyone have experience with student loans and Mitchell-Lama?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:55 PM

If you are at the home visit processed, management already decided that they want you. HPD is just to make sure your income is correct. When shown our unit it was a mess also but management restored the unit to its original state. Plain walls and cabinets like a blank slate. We had to purchase our own fridge and stove but they will fix and clean everything for move in.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:55 PM

345 posts, read 853,164 times
I would assume if this is a coop and you're putting up money for it, and I'm guessing it's substantial. It should be cleaned and fixed up.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:57 PM

345 posts, read 853,164 times
By the way, how long was your wait for Goddard Riverside?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM

If you gave the student loan income already and they offered you a unit and prepared a Home visit already they decided that they want you. So don't worry about that. If the city says your papers are are in order your next step is to pay and move in. The unit will be clean but plain.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,138 times
It's varies from coop to coop. Mine was so desperate I was in there like two weeks after they showed me the place

Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 PM

I'm wondering why they haven't started cleaning the place up already if they plan on doing it before someone moves in. I find that odd.

Thanks Mamasutie, you have calmed me down.

Goddard Riverside's waitlist is now closed. At least that is what the manager told me. However, when it was open I was told the wait is 10-15 years. We waited only 2 years but my husband is a veteran so he gets put to the front of the line. We got really lucky because there were 3 people ahead of us but none of them responded to their letters. The manager said that was odd, usually more people respond.

Mamasutie and BoogeyDownDweller which M-L's do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery