Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,200,740 times

Advertisements

Also co-op city is really on the up-and-up. In the past it was in really bad financial standing and needed a lot of repairs. All of the necessary structural repairs have been completed, there is a massive surplus in operating funds, and there is a good chance the city will be developing the waterfront in the coming 1-2 years as the community gets ready to vote on the citys proposal to do so. That would really add to the value of the community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM

965 posts, read 1,116,847 times
And the commute? How is the commute? I have thought about investing into this, but the location...

It's hard enough to get my friends to the Bronx as is; I couldn't imagine many people wanting to visit me deep in Co-Op. Haha

I know trains run all night, but what about the city buses? Seems like people could possibly get stranded unless they take a cab to the train if buses are out.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
I toyed with applying for Co-op City a couple decades ago, got all the paperwork set up but partner was dead set against it because of its location. I liked the floor plans.

I see his point though, 93rd St is far enough North.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,921,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
And the commute? How is the commute? I have thought about investing into this, but the location...

It's hard enough to get my friends to the Bronx as is; I couldn't imagine many people wanting to visit me deep in Co-Op. Haha

I know trains run all night, but what about the city buses? Seems like people could possibly get stranded unless they take a cab to the train if buses are out.
It'll likely be much better once the Metro North station opens. But as it is now, if you work in the city, that commute has to be awful. Your options are to either take the Express bus, pay $6.50 each way, and sit in traffic; OR take a bus to the train (not sure which train is closest, 5 at Dyre?) Either way, it's a lonnnnng commute.

If someone works in the Bronx or Westchester and drives, it's probably decent. I couldn't handle the commute from Throggs Neck, so the commute from Co-op City would send me into a mental institution.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM

Commute is not great if you work in the city. I'm moving more for my sanity when I get home. I'm tired of living in dirty, overcrowded, city streets. I want to go outside and have lots of park space. I work in the Bronx and drive so the commute is not an issue for me. It's not great for my partner she works in Manhattan but we currently live not far from co-op so the commute won't be much longer. She won't have immediate subway acces like we do now, but she will probably take the Express bus. The express bus is $50 per week for the unlimited with subway and regular bus included so it is a big monthly increase from a regular metrocard but i hear it is worth it. You have a comfortable seat on a coach bus, it's only 45-1hr commute to the city on the express bus. I imagine it doesn't get overcrowded like the subway does. She is gonna try both the regular bus to the train commute, and the express bus commute and see which one works better. If we live in section 1 the 5 train is a 10 minute hike away so that is another option if we get placed there. As for friends coming to visit, I live in the north Bronx already and so friends from outside the neighborhood already rarely visit me so it can't get much worse. Most of the people that come over and my friends from the neighborhood and other areas of the Bronx, so I imagine it will be the same in co-op too

Old 10-06-2017, 04:14 PM
bxt bxt started this thread

49 posts, read 200,038 times
Which 5 train stop is a 10 min walk away? I work in the city and will probably take the express bus, if I move out there but it's nice to have options.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxt View Post
Which 5 train stop is a 10 min walk away? I work in the city and will probably take the express bus, if I move out there but it's nice to have options.
I think it's the baychester stop on the 5 train? If you take the pedestrian bridge over the highway by Truman it's a 7 minute walk once you cross I think. The pedestrian bridge is right in front of Truman High School and so a lot of the kids that go to the schools in the educational complex use that pedestrian bridge after getting off the 5 train. It's kind of just long enough of a walk to warrant just taking the bus for some, but if you enjoy walking like me it's not so bad. This is really only convenient if you live in Section 1 and Section 3, If you live in 2 or 4 it makes more sense to just take the bus.

Same thing if you live in Section 5 there are some people that walk through Pelham Bay Park to the 6 train end of the line stop but it's a slightly longer walk I think 12 minutes.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,921,629 times
Not a chance the express bus is 45 min to 1 hour. From Throggs Neck which is a few exits closer on the highway, it's 1.5 hours minimum. Without traffic, can be 45 minutes, but rush hour is getting earlier and earlier.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:00 AM

81 posts, read 96,823 times
half the people commenting aren't from coop city- maybe haven't even been there. I don't live there but have family and friends that do... no trains are within 5-10 minutes walking from any section of coop city, maybe 15-20 minutes from the closest sections near Truman High. You have to walk over the high way it's dangerous. I personally know someone who was brutally attacked and beaten while walking over that overpass at night they couldn't travel at night, and the family ended up buying 2 cars to travel with because the parents had different schedules for a while they tried only 1 car but it was too much of a strain- the cars cost more than the apartment they live in... Coop city is nice in the day especially now with the updated mall, but at night it can be very dangerous if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. They have their own police squad- which is known for scandals but it is a police presence. Each section of coop has its own sub culture some of which are more relaxed than others if you don't know coop city go and ask people which are the better sections. In general buses are safer and take you directly to the train probably 15-25 minutes, maybe you can bike to the 5 train in under 10 minutes but you still have to take 2-3 minutes locking up a bike... for the most part express buses are your real options from/to coop city and depending on the time they do get packed there are 50,000+ people in coop city, many take transit. Express buses can be pricey. Coop city used to be exceptionally nice, it still is nice for the price, but comes with draw backs- expect to get a car, or spend 1.5hrs+ for door to door in one direction every day if you're going downtown

Last edited by candlestix; 10-09-2017 at 01:38 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Candlestick,

20 minutes for you because you walk slow. 10 minutes for me because I don't.

And as for the fear mongering...

Co-op city is far safer than it was in the past and far safer than many other Bronx neighborhoods.

In the 90s there were regularly 200-300 shootings per year. Last year there was like 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: