Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:00 PM

31,994 posts, read 27,162,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
2008 was one of the highest for 1 year leases at 4.50% . that was at a time many non stabilized apartments were falling in rent or offering incentives like 13 months for the price of 12 . we saw them all over .

In 2008 the financial sector was going through major upheavals; so it is natural that market rate tenants would be affected. People were losing jobs and or worried about keeping them; so all those high rent apartments were going empty. Financial Crisis Enters New Phase - The New York Times

Then you have things like this, which are driving the current administration in its goals to keep RS increases low: Testimony At New York City Rent Guidelines Board Public Meeting | Community Service Society of New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:04 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,864,067 times
I know and work with a number of people who gloat about their rent-stabalized apartments, and it's been so aggregious in the last few years with the zero percent increases in rent. Personally, I don't think it's fair. I believe in rent stabalized apartments, but having zero percent increases is just disgusting. None of the people I am talking about are anywhere near destitute. It just means more money for gazillions of Amazon packages and high fashion clothes that are rented for a few weeks and then returned. barf. meanwhile i'm eating store brand boxes of mac and cheese and wandering the streets for free clothes left out on stoops :/ so tired of this lol

Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 PM

107,026 posts, read 109,313,415 times
if you are old enough ,you could have moved in one 30 years ago too and stayed for 30 years and maybe caught a break in rent . everyone back then had the same opportunity . it was hard to find a building not stabilized ,especially in queens

Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 PM

So yeah, once again, those filthy boomers got all the breaks! Millennials would say that, but as a Gen-X'r (the SERIOUSLY forgotten generation... wtf?) I'm not sure where I stand anymore.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I know and work with a number of people who gloat about their rent-stabalized apartments, and it's been so aggregious in the last few years with the zero percent increases in rent. Personally, I don't think it's fair. I believe in rent stabalized apartments, but having zero percent increases is just disgusting. None of the people I am talking about are anywhere near destitute. It just means more money for gazillions of Amazon packages and high fashion clothes that are rented for a few weeks and then returned. barf. meanwhile i'm eating store brand boxes of mac and cheese and wandering the streets for free clothes left out on stoops :/ so tired of this lol

To be fair you have no idea how some of these RS tenants live, and that includes those with higher incomes.

Most RS apartments that are below market rate often look like who did it and ran. Landlords have no incentive to put money into the units while current tenant remains, so they usually don't.

Yes, painting is required every three years; but only if a tenant asks. Even then many LL's use the cheapest slop artist/contractor they can find, who equally uses the worse paint. All and all for the prep and post work involved (moving/covering furniture and so forth) versus the results, many don't bother. So they live with peeling drywall/plaster and or other issues.

If appliance breaks down lower rent tenants usually get some second hand unit from another apartment or wherever LL can lay hands; that is unless they agree to a "new" unit which the cost is added to rent.

Have issues with other tenants? Especially the younger ones likely paying market rate? Below market tenants are often told *tant pis*, don't like things? Move.

And so it goes, while not by far blanket coverage, for below market rate RS tenants it is pretty much how things roll. Can walk all over UES/Yorkville and looking through windows it is easy to spot such units; they look as if nothing has been touched since 1970's or before.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:16 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
2008 was one of the highest for 1 year leases at 4.50% . that was at a time many non stabilized apartments were falling in rent or offering incentives like 13 months for the price of 12 . we saw them all over .
I just had a 4% increase in 2014. So I'm not sure I'm I want to continue on this low increase and risk next year possibility being 4% again or just take the 2 year at 2%. I have doubts next year a 1% or lower increase will be approved. I feel it will be at least 2%.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I just had a 4% increase in 2014. So I'm not sure I'm I want to continue on this low increase and risk next year possibility being 4% again or just take the 2 year at 2%. I have doubts next year a 1% or lower increase will be approved. I feel it will be at least 2%.

Groups representing landlords of RS units and themselves for that matter were *NOT* happy with either the rent freeze and or low to nil increases voted for the past three years. While they did bring legal action (and lost), noises have and are still being made about doing so again if BdeB continues down the same path.

Whole thing is like many other elected officials in this state BdeB needs the RE industry. Not just for their campaign contributions, but his entire so called "affordable" housing scheme pretty much rests upon developers/landlords buying into the various rezoning or whatever that create not just market rate housing, but the less fortunate that get to ride those coat tails.

BdeB is obviously laying down some sort of framework for a life post mayor of NYC. For that he will need friends in high places and deep wallets.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 PM

quote:
For that he will need friends in high places and deep wallets.

Well he is tall enough, and slimy enough to get both of those done.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:17 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Groups representing landlords of RS units and themselves for that matter were *NOT* happy with either the rent freeze and or low to nil increases voted for the past three years. While they did bring legal action (and lost), noises have and are still being made about doing so again if BdeB continues down the same path.

Whole thing is like many other elected officials in this state BdeB needs the RE industry. Not just for their campaign contributions, but his entire so called "affordable" housing scheme pretty much rests upon developers/landlords buying into the various rezoning or whatever that create not just market rate housing, but the less fortunate that get to ride those coat tails.

BdeB is obviously laying down some sort of framework for a life post mayor of NYC. For that he will need friends in high places and deep wallets.
Unfortunately, I have to decide before the election on what lease to take.
But BB has been better to me than any other mayor so I'm not complaining.
I use to always just take the 1 year lease but now I realize I'm at where I am.
I'm pretty certain to, I could break my lease if need be. I did on my last apt and just had to forfeit my security.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 AM

107,026 posts, read 109,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
perhaps you need to look at what you need to do to get your own income improved and employment situation rather than worry about the housing arrangements others have because they lived in a building for decades which not many would do since the apartments are rarely renovated or updated as long as you live there .

blame politicians for using rents as pawns to win votes , that has no bearing on those tenants who just want to live where they always lived and moved in at market rents . . in fact many had to live in a stabilized building because most housing was stabilized in many parts of the city 30-40 years ago.

being stabilized today as a new tenant is no bargain anymore as rents are well up there for anyone moving in . it is like saying you wished you lived in the times of 13% cd's . those days are gone .

today you can have stabilized studios at 3500 , 1 bedrooms at 4500 and 2 bedrooms at 5500 a month . a stabilized 2 bedroom in our bayside building is 2400 a month plus 200 a month for parking . that is more than many pay for a non stabilized apartment

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-28-2017 at 02:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: