Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 02:32 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,750,988 times

Advertisements

I ended up deciding not to proceed. It was a very tough decision. Ultimately, for that much of a jump in rent, I needed something near-ideal, and that particular microneighborhood is not a neighborhood. I didn't like the idea of spending years dealing with the insanity of Delancey as it becomes the feeder to the Williamsburg, and when I went there at night it didn't seem actively dangerous, but nor did it feel like somewhere I'd feel comfortable as a woman running out to the drugstore at midnight, as in my current neighborhood. (Actually the Duane Reade on that block isn't even 24 hours...)

I'm feeling a little gloomy, as this was easily the closest to a lottery unit I'd want to take I've ever seen. But I could just picture myself feeling isolated and stuck in the building at night. There are good neighborhoods within reasonable walking distance, but you still have to get to them.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 14,382 times
I grew up in this neighborhood. Went to high school several blocks away. The transformation of this area is amazing. There was nothing here. Its wasnt the best neighborhood back then and its most definetly safer and more diverse now. For us back then this was our Union Square. Where we went to do all of our shopping and never needed to pass 14th street.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM

73 posts, read 75,112 times
I also grew up in the neighborhood way from 80’s. It’s way safer now than back then. I went to ps 20 and jhs 25. I’m just dying to get into this building

Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,199 times
I signed my lease today,recieved keys and we were advised we could move in....am excited and scared at the same time.....I signed for a 2bedroom and it is a little more than what we are paying now so I am very nervous, it is closer to our jobs and definately has its advantages,
Just hope we did the right thing!!??

Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,750,988 times
RoMo, I hope my post didn't discourage you! I truly could not decide til the last second--it was very close. As a single woman who tends to come and go relatively late and on her own, I just couldn't quite get comfortable with it. But not everyone will have those same concerns. I think especially families who are in for the night relatively early would be fine. I hope you love it!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 AM

just out of curiosity...when they ask for the signed consent forms to be sent for approval...does anyone have experience with application being denied? We already went to the interview, submitted all paperwork and was approved under the guidelines, and viewed the apt. Now final submission.
There are just so many paperwork/steps to this process that I naturally have doubts. Its seems there’s always another process after another which increases my anxiety.... any experience/advice?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 AM

105 posts, read 243,377 times
Anyone in the 165% AMI get called for this?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 6,199 times
@randomperson2, No worries I am just reading so many mixed comments back/forth my mind is foggy and actually dont know what to think anymore ! After the stressful year with all the paperwork I should be joyous but just mixed feelings I guess of the unknown, I am just terrified they will raise our rent next year by double or something...I guess you can sense I am an extreme worry wart, but cannot help it I think that area will drastically change in the coming years, it is a colorful diverse part of NYC history. I wish you the best with your decision.

@Tryingtowin we were in the 165%

@manon09 I know that the paperwork submitted must be up to 120days, if they pass certain dates then they keep asking for
new updated stubs, papers, statement.

Someone above mentioned that amenities were free for lottery winners, they are NOT, which is a shame, perhaps
they will change their minds down the line.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,621,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I ended up deciding not to proceed. It was a very tough decision. Ultimately, for that much of a jump in rent, I needed something near-ideal, and that particular microneighborhood is not a neighborhood. I didn't like the idea of spending years dealing with the insanity of Delancey as it becomes the feeder to the Williamsburg, and when I went there at night it didn't seem actively dangerous, but nor did it feel like somewhere I'd feel comfortable as a woman running out to the drugstore at midnight, as in my current neighborhood. (Actually the Duane Reade on that block isn't even 24 hours...)

I'm feeling a little gloomy, as this was easily the closest to a lottery unit I'd want to take I've ever seen. But I could just picture myself feeling isolated and stuck in the building at night. There are good neighborhoods within reasonable walking distance, but you still have to get to them.

Good luck to everyone!
Tis interesting you felt this way. While I do have to say, the McDonalds attracts an unsavory crowd, I have felt like safety is a non issue for me and my girlfriend. That being said, I've lived on Allen St near Delancey for the last 3.5 years, and the vibe is different (chill, Chinese). My girlfriend, however, suffered through Ave D and that's one stretch of 14 streets I hope I never live on (far from the subway, ghetto)!

Come party on the weekend and Friday night! There's a rave down at The Delancey playing old school Jungle/Drum n Bass on Mondays too. You can usually see me at La Caverna drinking my $4 whiskey mixes haha. I'm such a regular, everyone who works there knows me. Same with Antlers, Marshal Stack, Grunhaus, etc. Wish you the best on your apartment search!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 AM

@randomperson2, I too am a bit a worry wart as we live in a similar size apt paying below market rate. No guarantee if building will be sold etc and then I will be paying over what Essex apts are asking for hence I too was skeptical whether to move on with paperwork or stay in our current living situation... We too are in the 165%. We submitted initial paperwork mid Dec 18 and was told 2bd were already filled. Fast fwd to Jan 2019 and got a call if we were still interested in 2br and scheduled viewing. After they asked for signed consents for further checks and some other paperwork verifying financials... Did you experience the same process?
How much more for the amenities??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery