Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:29 AM

32,167 posts, read 27,401,378 times

Advertisements

Was just thinking about this thread. Heat has been on pretty much all week, and certainly this morning. Still have convectors shut and windows open as it is too warm otherwise.

Was thinking last week that it is stupid to have a heating season that ends on Memorial Day weekend; but considering return of chilly weather this week who knows. Know the elderly would moan they are "cold" even if it is a chilly but damp 55F outside. Of course those with kids/babies might want that heat as well.

Still walking around am seeing plenty of windows wide open, and or if they are closed the AC is on. I know it is AC and not fan because can hear water sloshing inside, that indicates the condenser is on and cooling inside air.

No wonder ACs don't last very long in NYC. Running them in this kind of weather, never mind the building still is giving heat is hard on air conditioners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 06:33 AM

25,444 posts, read 37,306,585 times
Chava you missed my point.
I was illustrating what the OLD rules WERE until they were very recently changed to 68 degrees day and night and the longer heating season.
In fact, unless the temperature went below 40 overnight, NO heat was required no matter WHAT the indoor temperatures registered.

I to have had both convectors off for months. If we get a cold snap this weekend, I am sure merely closing my window will keep me comfy for a couple days.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:46 AM

32,167 posts, read 27,401,378 times
Leave us just cut to the chase, shall we?

Basically as of heating season 2017 city required landlords who provide central heating to maintain an indoor temp at night of 62F (up from 55F) regardless of outdoor temperature. Previous law only required heat if outdoor temps were < 40F.

NEW HEATING LAW CHANGES IN NYC* | Gonchar Real Estate

The old law was based upon logical and proper thinking that people would be asleep from 10PM to 6AM and thus under the covers or whatever. However the usual suspects moaned and wailed that they were cold at night. This some kind of madness was brought to you by then council member Juame Williams (or whatever his name is), who now is public advocate. During his victory lap after law was passed he went on that "our seniors, our children shouldn't have to be cold at night...".

Problem is providing all this (largely wasted excess heat) raises fuel bills and LLs are rightly seeking to be compensated for RC or RS units. Market rate housing landlords don't need any such approval and simply are raising rents to cover any added fuel expenses.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:35 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,264,283 times
No heat today and I’m freezing

Old 04-27-2019, 08:39 AM

34,193 posts, read 47,630,301 times
Spring and fall are always tricky when it comes to the weather in NYC

It will be summer soon, this too shall pass

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 AM

198 posts, read 120,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
All I can glean from looking out the window is whether or not people have umbrellas up.
One thing I've learned over the years about umbrellas:

1) If a woman over 50 is not using an umbrella, then it's definitely not raining

2) If a young teen-early 20s guy *is* using an umbrella, then it's POURING

Said differently, young guys will walk around in a light rain and not care, and older women will walk around with an umbrella when it's only cloudy and *might* rain.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:33 AM

^^^^^ Good observations react

It is 50 outside and gloomy, apartment holding 70F. I got chilly, especially my legs and arms and was tempted to turn a convector on for a few minutes, but instead just closed the window and put on a pair of flannel, microfiber, lounge pants.
I can tell from my wall's warmth, that there is steam in the riser.
I it stays 50 all day, I might take a half hour of steam.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 AM

With closed windows I stayed at 70 all day and night and this morning, with sunlight flooding the apartment the temperature is 72 indoors with the 40's outside, so I cracked open my window a bit to break the vacuum in my apartment, which sucks smells/ sometimes cigarette smells in from neighbors.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:20 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,586,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
One thing I've learned over the years about umbrellas:

1) If a woman over 50 is not using an umbrella, then it's definitely not raining

2) If a young teen-early 20s guy *is* using an umbrella, then it's POURING

Said differently, young guys will walk around in a light rain and not care, and older women will walk around with an umbrella when it's only cloudy and *might* rain.
Bull.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:18 AM

The new heat law seems to indicate that nobody bothered to inform the City Council about Global Warming. They seem to be preparing instead for the next Ice Age.(Watch out for glaciers and mastodons.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: