Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times

Advertisements

well we don't yet what will happen .. but i can tell you when the day comes we have to feed the 2 remaining apartments , no matter what they are worth , we are done .we will walk away and the building can have them . we looked in to donating them but charities won't take them with stabilized tenants for the same reasons .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,501,899 times
How old are the current tenants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well we don't yet what will happen .. but i can tell you when the day comes we have to feed the 2 remaining apartments , no matter what they are worth , we are done .we will walk away and the building can have them . we looked in to donating them but charities won't take them with stabilized tenants for the same reasons .

Old 06-14-2019, 10:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Quote:
Why would charities take land with stabilized tenants because they know it will cost them money after they take it off your hands. They would be doing you a favor.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,734,981 times
Quote:
I would say, sell it to the tenants. Line up a 30-year mortgage for them and structure it so the mortgage payment is roughly the same as their current stabilized rent. You pay their down payment and the mortgage minus that amount is your net sale price. From the tenants perspective thy stay in their home, their "rent" increase is zero, and they own the place outright after 30 years to sell for a huge windfall (or sell any point before then).

Of course the problem is that they are now responsible for maintenance fees and property taxes, so you might have to structure the mortgage even lower to make them "whole" (actually making out like bandits). But the bottom line is there is no way you walk away from this for ZERO, there's got to be ways to make this work.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
How old are the current tenants?
one is in their 70's and has been playing games with a grandson staying over trying to get succession rights ..the other is about 60 with a 26 year old son there

Old 06-14-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I would say, sell it to the tenants. Line up a 30-year mortgage for them and structure it so the mortgage payment is roughly the same as their current stabilized rent. You pay their down payment and the mortgage minus that amount is your net sale price. From the tenants perspective thy stay in their home, their "rent" increase is zero, and they own the place outright after 30 years to sell for a huge windfall (or sell any point before then).

Of course the problem is that they are now responsible for maintenance fees and property taxes, so you might have to structure the mortgage even lower to make them "whole" (actually making out like bandits). But the bottom line is there is no way you walk away from this for ZERO, there's got to be ways to make this work.
the one apartment with the 26 year old is at a slight loss . if they got the apartment free the maintenance and assessments is more then their rent .

the other apartment is at a slight profit but with any assessments it can flip negative .. i will go no lower than 40 cents on the dollar to them .. i don't want to see either one benefit from a deal . i would rather hand them over free to the building and walk away .... we offered them the apartments many times and they had no interest.. at this point it is just on principal that i would not let them get a windfall. especially because of the way they orchestrated the succession rights .

hopefully this week we may get a deal at the 400k .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-14-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why would charities take land with stabilized tenants because they know it will cost them money after they take it off your hands. They would be doing you a favor.
Charities like corporations do not have life expectancy...they can outlive us all ....so they can eventually reap very large rewards

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-14-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 984,748 times
what if the landlord forecloses the building? then no one will take care of those stabilized units?

Old 06-14-2019, 01:54 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
what if the landlord forecloses the building? then no one will take care of those stabilized units?
Landlords don't foreclose on their own properties, banks, lenders or whoever else provided financing. Even then it has no effect on rent regulated tenants. If the bank, investor or whoever is successful in their foreclosure proceedings they become new owner of property but that includes taking on all rent regulated tenants. Leases are just transferred from previous owner to new; it has happened before plenty of times.

Savings and Loan crisis of 1980's, Lehman Brothers going bankrupt, etc... all involved real estate loans and when places went belly up person or persons and or investors/corporations go around looking for deals.

Truth to tell since the S&L crisis and other events afterwards banks have been very conservative and or cautious with RE lending. Much of the money flowing into market for past decade or so has come from investors or raised on foreign bond markets. A bank might get involved at some point when risk has diminished, but just giving out loans to any phisher who asks is totally over.

Loan to own however is a different story, and isn't totally unheard of still; that is banks, investors or whoever giving a LL or someone looking to buy property money even though they know things won't work out. Then all they have to do is sit back and wait...

Raphael Toledano owns this story: https://www.thevillager.com/2017/02/...ano-buildings/

Old 06-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
It is a co-op ,there is no landlord so to speak.. if I don’t pay my maintenance then the co-op can take my shares
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery