Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,749,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it took us 8 months to evict ..
Just another example of how important it is to start the clock early. Rent is due on the 1st, with a grace period extending to the 5th, which triggers a certified written 1st notice that rent is overdue and must be paid immediately, followed by a 2nd notice on the 10th that if not paid within 7 days proceedings will be initiated in court. Sounds harsh but even if you start proceedings on the 17th it's an 8-12 month process (which can be withdrawn at any time should the tenant start paying in a timely manner)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
You obviously did not read the end of my comment. This is why issues cannot be resolved!

You managed to post nothing but rants even though a 42K can barely get you anything in the five boroughs while having to obey the laws of the city that clearly state you must live within city limits if working for the local government.

Luckily I lived with my parents. My co workers on the other hand were not lucky. Plus growth in the public sector is very slow so even if they work super hard their pay raises are scheduled.

I rented my first apartment (less than one year after migrating here) for $600 monthly when I earned $10 hr. That was less than $21k a year, pre tax.

I lived in the ENY because that is all I could afford. I commuted to Westchester because that is the only place I could find a job at the time.

I was happy to find a reasonable priced, clean apartment. I didn't complain that my landlord was greedy and owed me cheap rent.

Live where you can afford/get a roommate or stay in your parent's house. Let them subsidize you. Why should an unrelated adult provide you with cheap rent?

Apply for promotions or change agencies.

When we barely made money and wanted to buy a house (also needed to pay for an increase in rent and other bills)we both got a part time job.

If someone's salary can't afford rent then move to a cheaper state, get a better paying job or stay with your parents until you can afford more.

By your logic everyone's housing cost should be capped and subsidized who are forced to live in the boroughs because of their job. You should demand that the gov't provides you cheap housing not a private landlord.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,948 times
Quote:
Lol wtf?

If you work for the local government you have no choice but to live where you work. I forgot people like you are out of touch with reality and do not know much. Plus if people do not have a right to live where they can’t afford then I better not see you at any regular restaurant or retail store in the city.

I hope you’re driving a lambo and only shopping at Hermès and eating at Michelin star restaurants.

As far as I’m concerned people who work for the public sector of any city should be granted the right to live in the city which they are working for. It makes no sense that any city job will demand that you live in NYC and then turn around and tell you your starting pay is 40K.

I’ve had many co workers at the DOT who wanted to move to Jersey but were prohibited from doing so.

Well require/demand gov't provided housing. Your job is the one who is forcing you to live here, not a private landlord. Maybe an expansion of NYCHA for the exlusive use of gov't workers is what is needed.

If they can't hack it working at a particular agency on the salary offered, move.
Change jobs within the agency for higher pay, move to a different state or a different agency.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:34 PM

106,912 posts, read 109,176,429 times
If is only about lowering the bridge Few want to raise the water. Heck if I am having trouble meeting the requirements for better pay let’s knock everybody else down

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM

15,880 posts, read 14,520,852 times
No, but if large numbers of lower end workers left, and they had hard a hard time filling jobs, they'd have to pay more to attract workers.

Note that for a long time minimum wage was essentially meaningless in NYC, because no one would work for it. Employers, including fast food, had to pay at least $9 to get anyone to come in the door and work.

Quote:
employers don't care what someones standards or living arraingments are . they pay what the market says the job and benefits are worth .

should singles get paid more then married people since married may have two incomes ?

or what about you get paid less because you chose a studio apt and i took a 2 bedroom ?

i am living in bay terrace , in queens , should i get paid more then Brownsville brooklyn ?

Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 PM

The job market all over the country is pretty good. And J Crew is a national operation. If you work for it in NYC you can work for it in Duluth.

Quote:
This sound silly. So who will take over the low wage jobs that’s dominate the streets of NYC? So according to you all the workers who work at the J Crew store I shop at should leave? And leave to a place outside of NYC where the job market is most likely scarce?

Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM

I don't think you can do that in NYC. I don't think you can give legal notice until 30 day after the day the rent is due. And I think you can't file with the court for some period after that. But it's been a long time since I had to deal with this.

But you're correct. If you miss the right date, or don't give the notice correctly, you have to wait until the end of the next 30 day period from the rent due date to try and give notice again. They intentionally make the process nitty and difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Just another example of how important it is to start the clock early. Rent is due on the 1st, with a grace period extending to the 5th, which triggers a certified written 1st notice that rent is overdue and must be paid immediately, followed by a 2nd notice on the 10th that if not paid within 7 days proceedings will be initiated in court. Sounds harsh but even if you start proceedings on the 17th it's an 8-12 month process (which can be withdrawn at any time should the tenant start paying in a timely manner)

Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Basically here is how some see things will roll: https://therealdeal.com/2019/06/18/a...zed-apartment/

Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 AM

106,912 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No, but if large numbers of lower end workers left, and they had hard a hard time filling jobs, they'd have to pay more to attract workers.

Note that for a long time minimum wage was essentially meaningless in NYC, because no one would work for it. Employers, including fast food, had to pay at least $9 to get anyone to come in the door and work.
it is not reality because nyc is the low wage capital of the country ... we tend to attract a lot more low wage earners then anywhere else ...

nyc has lots of perks for low wage earners , welfare wise and program wise , we have a comprehensive mass transit system , we have ethinic areas for anyone who wants to live with their own and we have tons of low wage jobs .

Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 AM

They they're going to compete with each other an drive wages down. And now with the $15 minimum, a lot of low wage jobs are going to go away.

Quote:
it is not reality because nyc is the low wage capital of the country ... we tend to attract a lot more low wage earners then anywhere else ...

nyc has lots of perks for low wage earners , welfare wise and program wise , we have a comprehensive mass transit system , we have ethinic areas for anyone who wants to live with their own and we have tons of low wage jobs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery