Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Tequila?
Keep guessing

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 09:57 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Rent regulation laws effect everyone in this city with perhaps exception of single family homeowners, this whether some of you know it or not.

Co-ops and condos are taxed as rental housing, so if your building is in an area full of low rent paying RS/RC units, you pay less in property taxes.

If you are paying market rate for rental housing most likely you rent is higher than it otherwise would be due to large majority of NYC rental housing falls under some sort of government control or subsidy.

If you work, and especially those who earn pay a vast amount of taxes that go into the support and creation of rent regulated units. This includes tax breaks/subsidies for creation right down to free attorneys in housing court, and all that is in between.

On a more philosophical note, play with the thought for moment if rent regulation were not renewed. It will never happen, but just imagine the consequences.

Want more? Just what do you think will happen if democrats get their way and spread rent regulation down to buildings with less than six units? Or, force even market rate landlords to offer renewal leases and or prevent them from handling their business as they see fit.

Some of you either weren't around or maybe have forgotten what set off the co-op conversion boom in the 1980s through good part of 1990's.

If most or all of the democrat platform on rent regulation succeeds it likely will mean the end for small landlords. They will sell to large investors or the already big NYC real estate royal families.
If it will never happen, then what was the point of the entire thread? I ask again, then why the concern? Like it doesnt take much effort at this point man. I would like to engage in meaningful dialect, but it is a fruitless effort. Just look at what I bolded, and re-read!

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,687,781 times
I also agree it's not a mod's job to question why people make posts. It's a bad look.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thank you. TBH I can't imagine NYC without a good amount of rent control/subsidy. I heard in San Francisco a lot of the poor/working class have 2+ hour commutes due to not being able to afford rent. I don't know what to say. A lot of people complain about how expensive the rent is in NYC. We've gotten a lot of people from NY here in the Atlanta suburbs. It's one of the things I worry about when I consider moving back to NYC. I imagine myself living upstate and commuting to the city if anything. Rent control or not, I can't stand the idea of living in a shoe box and paying out of my a** for something I don't own. But then again, I suppose depending on the place, the benefits can outweigh the cons. Just thinking out loud.
The problem is rent stabilization and net worth and income have nothing to do with each other .... rent stabilization was not put in place to be some kind of affordable housing program..it was only a deal with landlords to prevent rent gouging ...

Landlords were promised market rents .... politicians used rents as a political pawn to win votes so they fell behind in some situations.. the building we live in is at market pretty much ...we have very wealthy tenants. , many are doctors , lawyers , business owners ... they stay for a year looking for a house and then leave so turnover is very high ..

These visions of poor people living in stabilized apartments is not really true ..it is very mixed ... it is just renters as a group tend to range from very poor to very wealthy

Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
OMG, this crap again? Just STOP with these ridiculous posts questioning good, solid posters’ motivation for posting certain topics that somehow you find offensive or boring or whatever your problem seems to be. This is not your job. Please go back and read your moderators handbook.
Henna, if people are being paid to post for political or whatever reasons it’s an issue. Paid posters are one of the reasons this forum has deteriorated so much in the last few years. So, it could well be within Seventh’s discretion to question motivation if he suspects that.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:37 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,687,781 times
Are there really paid posters on this forum?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,236,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You cant handle the truth
What's your motivation? Are you living in a rent controlled apartment? I find your attacks on free speech here suspicious. Are you getting paid?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:47 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,236,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Henna, if people are being paid to post for political or whatever reasons it’s an issue. Paid posters are one of the reasons this forum has deteriorated so much in the last few years. So, it could well be within Seventh’s discretion to question motivation if he suspects that.
Except his suspect is Bugsy, a very long time poster with a history of quality contributions that far surpasses anything Seventhfloor himself has done.

Bugsy literally posts on every imaginable topic that relates to NYC and offers almost expertise insight into many areas. Without him, this forum would be mostly about affordable housing lotteries and uninteresting to anyone else.

Seventh has become a bully and instigator that adds little to topics other than off topic dissension like this. This is not appropriate moderator behavior. Anyone else doing this and they'd be reprimanded.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:49 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,615,709 times
My guess is the Democratic controlled administration will steamroll landlords in favor of tenants and somehow find a way to throw blame at Trump.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 AM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Who the heck would pay anyone to post in this forum?

In no specific order activity in this group falls into four main categories:

NYC Civil Service Hiring/Testing (mainly DSNY, Court Officer and Parking Enforcement)

Affordable Housing Lottery

Mitchell-Lama Housing

I Don't Live In NYC But Have A Question

Besides it would be stupid to pay posters on a forum that is already very active. OTOH there are plenty of state/local CD forums where the only sound is crickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery