Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,135,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Are there really paid posters on this forum?
I am pretty sure there are on most forums these days. Some are paid to promote a specific agenda or point of view. Sometimes the agenda is just to foment.
Since Seventh has been on here longer than me, which is a very long time, I would tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been here since the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM

107,122 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Damn , i wish I got paid to post, I wouldn't have to be an investor to earn our income

Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,135,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Damn , i wish I got paid to post, I wouldn't have to be an investor to earn our income
Mathjak, you should be paid to post because unlike a lot of posters on here you post useful information...and nice photos.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 AM

You can be my agent

Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM

15,883 posts, read 14,562,445 times
Are we actually discussing the rent law renewal any more, or has this thread gone completely off the rails?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times
^ It's gone off the rails because the "moderator" had a personal vendetta and attacked the OP because he thinks that rent control is not a NYC worthy thread.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,385,448 times
Quote:
The problem is rent stabilization and net worth and income have nothing to do with each other .... rent stabilization was not put in place to be some kind of affordable housing program..it was only a deal with landlords to prevent rent gouging ...

Landlords were promised market rents .... politicians used rents as a political pawn to win votes so they fell behind in some situations.. the building we live in is at market pretty much ...we have very wealthy tenants. , many are doctors , lawyers , business owners ... they stay for a year looking for a house and then leave so turnover is very high ..

These visions of poor people living in stabilized apartments is not really true ..it is very mixed ... it is just renters as a group tend to range from very poor to very wealthy

Thanks. Yeah, I can understand that because the more wealthy can afford market rent. If the rent is too high, then the market is suppose to correct itself as they would lose tenants. My concern is that with a city like NYC, whether it's people from other states, other countries, very wealthy in NYC looking to invest in multiple properties, couldn't this demand drive the middle class and poor out of the city? An economist would say it's fine because there was demand and demand said market rent should be here.

I didn't mean to make it seem as if it's just poor people. I was thinking of the middle class too but poor people have fewer resources and so I guess that's why I wrote what I wrote.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,270,115 times
Quote:
You kind of were when you won for best post.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I can understand that because the more wealthy can afford market rent. If the rent is too high, then the market is suppose to correct itself as they would lose tenants. My concern is that with a city like NYC, whether it's people from other states, other countries, very wealthy in NYC looking to invest in multiple properties, couldn't this demand drive the middle class and poor out of the city? An economist would say it's fine because there was demand and demand said market rent should be here.

I didn't mean to make it seem as if it's just poor people. I was thinking of the middle class too but poor people have fewer resources and so I guess that's why I wrote what I wrote.
supply and demand certainly can drive anyone out of the market they are living in . but that is just how markets work ... they can go up or down based on that ..many areas used to be great areas when i grew up ...today they are no longer prime areas .
it seems the worse areas became prime and the prime like canarsie where i grew up was no longer a hot area

many tenants luck out too when areas are gentrified and tenants catch a windfall to sell their lease ...we offered our tenants 100k to sell us back there leases , which most did

Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 PM

32,035 posts, read 27,248,802 times
Quote:
Leaving aside the hot mess that is the politics forum, there are really only a finite number of really active posters to all others. For some this means not just their own local, but various others as well.

If you examine CD forums closely you'll see the same names on average over and over. No, they aren't "paid to post", but never the less generate considerable traffic for this site. Without them, or specifically the threads they create and or participate in this place would be a graveyard far as activity is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery