Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times

Advertisements

people need to start settling in smaller cities to build them up. Everyone is trying to live in the same place and there's not enough room for everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlight207 View Post
This housing lottery is a joke. The "affordable" apartments are not even affordable.

I have been applying for years and have gotten two rejection e-mails recently (an improvement actually because I usually don't get any response from them) on the account that I don't make enough to qualify for an apartment. They said if I can prove that I should not have been turned down for these two apartment lotteries I applied for then it could change the outcome but what I make is what I make. Can't change that right now (though I'm always looking for higher paying jobs and also thinking about going back to school).

Anyway, I have mainly applied for housing in Flatbush/PLG. I was turned down for a one bedroom apartment in this area because I didn't make $80,000 a year or whatever the crazy salary range was (but it was close to that figure).

I grew up in this area and I like it here. It's very convenient for me with the train for getting to work or going to the city and I enjoy being close to Prospect Park, Botanic Gardens,etc. I think it's outrageous that long time residents like myself are being priced out. I have to share an apartment with a relative because I can't afford to live on my own.

I remember when NO ONE wanted to live in this area. Now they are charging $1800 minimum for a studio or one bedroom in this area. Even with the "NYC housing lottery". How is this affordable?!

I only make in the mid 50's range salary yearly. What is someone like myself supposed to do? This is so depressing.

Maybe it's time to leave NYC.

Come on over to Jersey. We'd love to have you.

Seriously, I make about $95 and have dreams of living in the West Village. It just ain't happening for right now. So I'll stay across the river until I meet the qualifications to stay in the neighborhood I want.

I used to work in Brooklyn Metrotech. They built a building across the street with Studios a couple of years ago. I was interested, but after seeing starting rent at $2,500. I decided to just stay in Jersey.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
The same scam that Democrats ran on calling the ACA "Affordable" Care Act when any working middle class person logs on and find every NYC silver level insurance with a deductible under $2k costs over $1400/month.

It is only affordable to people who scam the system with no income.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:41 PM

20 posts, read 13,315 times
It's affordable for a luxury condo building (24 hour doorman, gym, lounges, rooftop facilities). You can't expect to want something and not pay for it. It's like saying I want a Hermes bag but only want to pay Michael Kors price for it, and then complain because I deserve to be with that bag but the stupid corporations priced it so much when it doesn't even cost that much.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Your mistake was not buying. You could have structured a mortgage with way lower payments than rent over the time you lived in the area. When you live in someone else's building you can't expect to be there forever
Not everyone wants to own and live in the same place forever.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:54 PM

86 posts, read 52,285 times
YOU ARE RIGHT, the house lottery is totally a joke in the world.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:10 AM

200 posts, read 219,367 times
it wasn't, during the Pandemic. They couldn't give apartments away 2020-2021, there were very few takers. Now everyone wants one, and they can't build fast enough. I do see 8 buildings out of my windows - 30-57 stories - currently going up though. I'm sure rents will be half market rate, but market is already back above the previous record highs. Inflation, you know. Between 2020-2021, there was a brief depression

Old 02-15-2022, 04:57 AM

603 posts, read 599,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
it wasn't, during the Pandemic. They couldn't give apartments away 2020-2021, there were very few takers. Now everyone wants one, and they can't build fast enough. I do see 8 buildings out of my windows - 30-57 stories - currently going up though. I'm sure rents will be half market rate, but market is already back above the previous record highs. Inflation, you know. Between 2020-2021, there was a brief depression
Yup, I think that's why I was able to get an affordable unit with a relatively high log number - at 130 AMI.

Old 02-15-2022, 05:19 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
Yup, I think that's why I was able to get an affordable unit with a relatively high log number - at 130 AMI.
You guys keep coming back to same conversation in many ways over and over.

Way these "affordable" or "low income" lotteries are structured makes qualifying suits only a very narrow range. This is why certain persons keep entering and winning units again and again, there just aren't enough households in long run that will meet requirements.

As rent increases for these "affordable" units they aren't so much below market rate to encourage those who likely would qualify to subject themselves to the intrusive, complex and rather demeaning process of being vetted.

Higher rent goes for these "affordable" units only real chief benefit is they are under rent regulation. But not everyone plans on ending their days in these units, and again if they do have options....

Old 02-15-2022, 07:20 AM

580 posts, read 728,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Higher rent goes for these "affordable" units only real chief benefit is they are under rent regulation. But not everyone plans on ending their days in these units, and again if they do have options....
Yeah 130% def helps because not everyone is scrambling in that range. It helped me too. @dime99

@BugsyPal Bingo. The focus in my opinion is no longer if it's "affordable", but simply the benefit of rent regulation so you won't be caught off guard. It sucks but that's what we have right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery