Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,311 times

Advertisements

So i was lucky enough to get chosen for an apartment in the city. I saw the apartment which was a small studio and decided to move forward and sign a lease next week. I was already assigned an apartment number but my question is, is it possible to see a bigger studio in the same complex? or because i was already assigned one i cant look at other? I dont want to seem ungrateful so i wanted to see if that was actually possible here first. Thank you!

p.s: i only qualified for a studio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,359 times
Good question. I'd be interested in the answer as well.
https://www.nycinsiderguide.com

Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 AM

204 posts, read 215,166 times
Your application is assigned an apartment prior to even being approved by HPD.

I do not think and have never heard of someone turning down the apartment they were assigned for another apartment.

I actually just got my lottery apartment and was told if I did not like the apartment I was assigned they would close my application immediately and I would not be given a chance to view another apartment.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:12 AM

60 posts, read 66,953 times
This happened to me.
I was offered a three bedroom and two baths. The guy who was taking care of the building was nice enough to show me the other units. Once I saw the other ones, I did not like mine. The rooms in my unit were super tiny, and I have three kids. I called the management and they were willing to move me to one of the units that I liked, but they were all assigned to other people already. I ended up not taking the apartment and now I really regret it.

I was a little bit ungrateful thinking that they were going to call me soon for an apartment that I was going to like. As a single mother, I worry a lot about my kids and want a descent neighborhood.
In my mind all I say is that, probably the person who got the unit that I rejected, needed it more than me and that was God's way of helping that family.

Right now I am just applying for everything and hopefully I get a call back soon.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:29 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,041,083 times
You were approved by HPD for a specific unit so once that happens, then no, you can't be changed to another apartment. Plus, if this is not an all-affordable building, then the developer has already told HPD the specific units that are to be for the affordable housing tenants - there might not be one that is bigger anyway as they tend to allocate the smaller units for those tenants.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 AM

6,695 posts, read 6,057,015 times
It actually depends on the developer:

When I won a unit in Queens, they took me on a small tour of the building and showed me two one bedroom apartments. They allowed me to choose one of the two. In fact, they were nice enough to allow me one week to make up my mind. One apartment had views to Manhattan and the other to the other side of Queens - that was basically the only difference.

Yet, when I won a development in Manhattan, I was shown one studio and that was it. I asked if I can see other studios or if I can get a one bedroom, and the answer was no to both questions. But they said if I have trouble making a down payment, that they will accept a partial payment and that I'd be allowed to provide the other half on a set date.
I said, "no that's not my problem, I'm just deciding if I should give up my 726 sq ft apartment for a 525 sq ft studio!"

I communicated with someone here who turned down a studio because it's a studio, and then were called back for a one bedroom.

Moral of the story, don't be afraid to ask what you may or may not do!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:40 AM

60 posts, read 66,953 times
Agree. It does not hurt to ask.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,311 times
Thank you All! i did ask and it turns out i cant switch. The units are already picked out for the tenants. I just so happened to peek into another studio and its way bigger than mine. I assume those studios are for the non-affordables. Thanks for the replies guys, i hope you guys end up getting an apartment, happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: