Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 AM

99 posts, read 189,916 times

Advertisements

I've been looking through all of the Mitchell-Lama apartments, exploring different neighborhoods and checking out buildings. This one seems really nice, Waldo Gardens in Riverdale/Kingsbridge. At end of the 1 train, quiet neighborhood near Manhattan College. Area had some nice little restaurants and shop. Waldo Gardens is up on a hill and the views must be amazing! Anyone know anything about the building or area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
I've been looking through all of the Mitchell-Lama apartments, exploring different neighborhoods and checking out buildings. This one seems really nice, Waldo Gardens in Riverdale/Kingsbridge. At end of the 1 train, quiet neighborhood near Manhattan College. Area had some nice little restaurants and shop. Waldo Gardens is up on a hill and the views must be amazing! Anyone know anything about the building or area?
Waldo Gardens is on Waldo Avenue, which is in Riverdale, not Kingsbridge, just to be clear. It’s right on the border of Kingsbridge though, with a step street there. Manhattan College is a stone’s throw away just down the street, so there are lots of students in the area renting, and issues with noise and rowdiness are not unheard of on weekends when school is session. My personal opinion is that it’s too close to the college scene. However, as you noted, you have shopping just down the hill on Broadway, and the subway is there. I think it depends on what you’re looking for and what your budget is too. Usually if people want more quiet, they move further west.

I also don’t think it’s a great location transit wise. To reach the subway, you have to go up and down a step street or walk down Manhattan College Parkway to 242nd. The express buses and Metro-North are much further west. In terms of shopping and the food scene, that’s about as good as it is going to get in terms of options. The quality may seem lackluster though. That is a complaint that I have heard from many that move to Riverdale that I know, which is that the food scene is not so great. The most notable places are An Beal Bocht, which is around the corner (Irish place), Bronx Ale House (Broadway - Kingsbridge) and Kingsbridge Social Club (Pizza place - Kingsbridge).

You are however very close to Fieldston (the private estate area of Riverdale), which starts right by Manhattan College, but going west. That area is guarded by private security, so no issues there. Waldo Gardens is technically also in Fieldston (the greater Fieldston area), but not the private estate area. I would walk around the area though and see if it works. Parking is not great either, so that’s something else to think about.

Just remembered that there’s an express bus on Broadway. Runs down 5th and up Madison.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 10-20-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2019, 10:32 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
I am on the waiting list for Waldo Gardens. I LOVE the area. It's a nice place to live, OP, especially if you have a car.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:41 AM

185 posts, read 311,022 times
[quote=shadypinesma;56449727]I am on the waiting list for Waldo Gardens. I LOVE the area. It's a nice place to live, OP, especially if you have a car.[/QUOTE

Is the waitlist open? I don't see it on nyc housing connect Mitchel lama. Also is it a rental or cooperative?

Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I am on the waiting list for Waldo Gardens. I LOVE the area. It's a nice place to live, OP, especially if you have a car.
Yes, but parking can be an issue there. Does that building have parking on-site?

Old 10-20-2019, 03:14 PM

99 posts, read 189,916 times
I saw a parking garage there. It looked big and there was security and fencing so is very safe. The area seemed good too but the step street up to the building looks like a killer. I wonder if it's shoveled in the winter time? Slippery ice and snow would be extremely dangerous. Also noticed a Wendy's going up and a new McDonalds. Area seems like it has lots of good grocery stores, Stop and Shop, BJ's, Aldi's (not too far), etc. I'm wondering why I haven't heard much about this building. Seems ideal. If anyone lives there or has interior shots, please share. Thanks. Good luck everyone! Keep applying. You can't win if you don't play!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
I saw a parking garage there. It looked big and there was security and fencing so is very safe. The area seemed good too but the step street up to the building looks like a killer. I wonder if it's shoveled in the winter time? Slippery ice and snow would be extremely dangerous. Also noticed a Wendy's going up and a new McDonalds. Area seems like it has lots of good grocery stores, Stop and Shop, BJ's, Aldi's (not too far), etc. I'm wondering why I haven't heard much about this building. Seems ideal. If anyone lives there or has interior shots, please share. Thanks. Good luck everyone! Keep applying. You can't win if you don't play!
All of the step streets are usually handled by DOT IIRC, and yes there are a lot of them. I cannot imagine what it would be like carrying groceries and using them. There's lots of options for shopping. Doesn't mean the quality is good though, which is the problem. I've heard good things about Garden Gourmet Market though. You will have to see for yourself if that works for you, as I don't know where you're coming from and what your standards are.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:58 PM

[quote=Nyc246;56449782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I am on the waiting list for Waldo Gardens. I LOVE the area. It's a nice place to live, OP, especially if you have a car.[/QUOTE

Is the waitlist open? I don't see it on nyc housing connect Mitchel lama. Also is it a rental or cooperative?
It may be open. You've got to contact them directly to get on it. They're helpful and very nice.

It is a cooperative.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 PM

185 posts, read 311,022 times
[quote=shadypinesma;56452413][quote=Nyc246;56449782]

It may be open. You've got to contact them directly to get on it. They're helpful and very nice.

It is a cooperative.[/QUOT

Thanks shadypines.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:29 AM

No worries! Did you end up contacting them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery