Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 AM

23 posts, read 33,995 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I just want to get your opinion on this part of the Bronx.

I've been looking at apartments in Riverdale, north of W250th Street, and I like what I see. It seems to be mostly working class people and mom and pop restaurants (thumbs up). More importantly, it looks safe from the couple of times I've walked by during apartment viewings and walking around on my own.

How is the Kingsbridge area like? Is it safe? The areas in the vicinity of the train station seems kind of sketchy but hey I could be wrong.

I just graduated from college last year and look to purchase a co-op in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
I've never had issues with that area. Used to grocery shop at 230th and go to a few places on 238th. Sometimes they do movies in the park in Van Cortlandt. In general, north of around 230th to the west of Broadway and north of Albany Cresant to the east seem better to me. The Land and Sea Restaurant makes some good hot chocolate.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh1005 View Post
Hi everyone, I just want to get your opinion on this part of the Bronx.

I've been looking at apartments in Riverdale, north of W250th Street, and I like what I see. It seems to be mostly working class people and mom and pop restaurants (thumbs up). More importantly, it looks safe from the couple of times I've walked by during apartment viewings and walking around on my own.

How is the Kingsbridge area like? Is it safe? The areas in the vicinity of the train station seems kind of sketchy but hey I could be wrong.

I just graduated from college last year and look to purchase a co-op in this area.
You are talking about two different areas entirely. North of West 250th street is above Fieldston (the estate area east of Henry Hudson Parkway) and Hudson Hill (another estate area but west of Henry Hudson Parkway near Wave Hill). North Riverdale is a solid middle to upper middle class neighborhood. The areas west of Riverdale Avenue where you find houses (particularly around West 254th are upper middle class). The co-ops you are viewing are likely in the middle class parts of North Riverdale. North Riverdale isn't as tony as Fieldston, Central Riverdale and parts of Spuyten Duyvil (the southern parts of Riverdale are the most wealthy), but it offers a very safe, family-oriented suburban feel; mainly Irish and some Jews and Japanese as well from the old days.

Kingsbridge meanwhile has historically been working class, though it has been becoming more expensive thanks to Riverdale just up the hill, as west of Broadway (particularly from Tibbett Avenue on is very safe, and mainly homeowners). That little area has historically been white and Irish as well, though there's a mix now, though still mainly white in most parts. Kingsbridge will offer you closer access to the subway, but Riverdale is known as the rich uncle of Kingsbridge, so while Kingsbridge (west of Broadway and particularly west of Tibbett Avenue) is relatively safe, I would pick Riverdale over Kingsbridge easily. It has great transportation (two Metro-North stations and three express buses to Manhattan). I say that because a lot of people don't want to put up with the 1 train. It's become much more crowded as Inwood, Kingsbridge and the like become more popular and it is all local stops to 96th street which can be annoying late at night and even more annoying if you work on the east side of Manhattan given the numerous transfers needed.

Shopping along Broadway is what it is, and many either go to Manhattan or Westchester. I don't find the quality along Broadway to be that great, so if you have a car keep that in mind. Kingsbridge is much smaller so you'll have FAR fewer co-op options compared to Riverdale.

Riverdale includes all subsections, which consists of:

1. Spuyten Duyvil (the very southern part of Riverdale also called "South Riverdale" sometimes)
2. Central Riverdale (the Downtown part of Riverdale, which is also the most walkable with the shops and stores along West 235th and Johnson Avenues)
3. Fieldston (the estate area - wealthiest part of Riverdale - many mansions in the millions)
4. Hudson Hill (the estate area west of Henry Hudson Parkway)
5. North Riverdale

It's worth nothing that both neighborhoods are VERY hilly (especially Riverdale - all areas), so I hope you're up for dealing with them.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
You find Riverdale to be working class?

Old 03-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You find Riverdale to be working class?
North Riverdale is more middle class overall. Historically it isn't the "splashy" part of Riverdale though very nice. However, there are a few parts closer to the Hudson that are indeed upper middle class. Overall income levels are around $82,000. Fieldston meanwhile has incomes well over $160,000 in the estate area and houses over a million. Spuyten Duyvil also has a few sections with incomes over $110,000 and houses over $800,000. Those are the fancier parts of Riverdale. The same is true of Central Riverdale. There are quite a few condos with apartments going into the millions.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:07 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I am interested in this thread, and I'm glad you pointed out the differences between Riverdale and Kingbridge. I was scratching my head, looking at the map of the Bronx.

I am on the waiting list for Amalgamated Housing, and I'm wondering how that neighborhood is. It is definitely Kingsbridge, located on Van Cortlandt Park South, east of Broadway. I will take a trip to the area and look around, but in the meantime, I was wondering if you have any advice for me. I would be retired by then and not needing to come into Manhattan every day.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I am interested in this thread, and I'm glad you pointed out the differences between Riverdale and Kingbridge. I was scratching my head, looking at the map of the Bronx.

I am on the waiting list for Amalgamated Housing, and I'm wondering how that neighborhood is. It is definitely Kingsbridge, located on Van Cortlandt Park South, east of Broadway. I will take a trip to the area and look around, but in the meantime, I was wondering if you have any advice for me. I would be retired by then and not needing to come into Manhattan every day.
Van Cortlandt Park South is very close to the Kingsbridge/Van Cortlandt Village neighborhood. Van Cortlandt Village is technically a subsection of Kingsbridge Heights (anything east of Broadway is technically Kingsbridge Heights). It is relatively safe, with families, older folks and the like. Like Kingsbridge, its proximity to Riverdale helps it for sure. For travel to Manhattan, you have access to the BxM3 express bus which I would recommend given how hilly the neighborhood can be, or if you can make your way down to Broadway and West 230th, you have the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 which come to and from Riverdale just up the hills. You being retired, taking those stairs to reach the subway may not be your cup of tea, and you would likely qualify for a half fare pass making the express bus fare more reasonable. There's also the Marble Hill Metro-North stop by Broadway and West 225th street for fast access to Grand Central. The BxM3 runs down 5th and Madison. The BxM1 serves East Midtown via Lexington starting from the Upper East Side, the BxM2 West Midtown from Mount Sinai and the Upper West Side, and the BxM18 runs below 56th street serving Midtown via 5th and Madison and the Wall Street Downtown area. For all of the talk about the subway, the express buses allow you to travel to more places for sure with fewer transfers which is why they are popular and well used. Keep in mind that the area has NO East Side access via the subway, so taking a bus to reach the 4 train is a must especially with the hills.

For shopping you'd pretty much be going to Broadway, or Manhattan like others do in the area.

Riverdale has always seen Manhattanites move there, but Kingsbridge and Van Cortlandt Village have been seeing far more Manhattanites making the move, which makes sense given that Manhattan is just a few stops over the border on the 1 train. The entire area feels like an extension of Manhattan to a degree, but Riverdale will be the most suburban and tony out of the three.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-12-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
North Riverdale is more middle class overall. Historically it isn't the "splashy" part of Riverdale though very nice. However, there are a few parts closer to the Hudson that are indeed upper middle class. Overall income levels are around $82,000. Fieldston meanwhile has incomes well over $160,000 in the estate area and houses over a million. Spuyten Duyvil also has a few sections with incomes over $110,000 and houses over $800,000. Those are the fancier parts of Riverdale. The same is true of Central Riverdale. There are quite a few condos with apartments going into the millions.
Quote:
Van Cortlandt Park South is very close to the Kingsbridge/Van Cortlandt Village neighborhood. Van Cortlandt Village is technically a subsection of Kingsbridge Heights (anything east of Broadway is technically Kingsbridge Heights). It is relatively safe, with families, older folks and the like. Like Kingsbridge, its proximity to Riverdale helps it for sure. For travel to Manhattan, you have access to the BxM3 express bus which I would recommend given how hilly the neighborhood can be, or if you can make your way down to Broadway and West 230th, you have the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 which come to and from Riverdale just up the hills. You being retired, taking those stairs to reach the subway may not be your cup of tea, and you would likely qualify for a half fare pass making the express bus fare more reasonable. There's also the Marble Hill Metro-North stop by Broadway and West 225th street for fast access to Grand Central.
Is it also hilly to get to.the 4 train from there?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Riverdale, Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Park and Kingsbridge Heights all have "step streets" because the neighborhoods are too hilly to walk up from one street to the next in parts. Riverdale has some of the highest elevations in the area with great views, but the same is true of Van Cortlandt Village. Very very hilly neighborhood. Riverdale has better transportation options to get around those hills though. Van Cortlandt Village less so, so a lot of people tend to drive. Bus service is not that great (Bx1, Bx2 and Bx10) as they all meander around those hills to and from to reach the subway (Mosholu Parkway station). From Mosholu Parkway it is a long ride to Manhattan.

Quote:
For macnyc it would be. The area that they would be living in is quite hilly and reaching the main area where there is bus service of any kind would not be fun. However, if they're smart they'll use the less hilly roads and get off uphill here and there where possible. Always nicer walking downhill (most of the time save snowstorms ).

Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM

23 posts, read 33,995 times
Quote:
You are talking about two different areas entirely. North of West 250th street is above Fieldston (the estate area east of Henry Hudson Parkway) and Hudson Hill (another estate area but west of Henry Hudson Parkway near Wave Hill). North Riverdale is a solid middle to upper middle class neighborhood. The areas west of Riverdale Avenue where you find houses (particularly around West 254th are upper middle class). The co-ops you are viewing are likely in the middle class parts of North Riverdale. North Riverdale isn't as tony as Fieldston, Central Riverdale and parts of Spuyten Duyvil (the southern parts of Riverdale are the most wealthy), but it offers a very safe, family-oriented suburban feel; mainly Irish and some Jews and Japanese as well from the old days.

Kingsbridge meanwhile has historically been working class, though it has been becoming more expensive thanks to Riverdale just up the hill, as west of Broadway (particularly from Tibbett Avenue on is very safe, and mainly homeowners). That little area has historically been white and Irish as well, though there's a mix now, though still mainly white in most parts. Kingsbridge will offer you closer access to the subway, but Riverdale is known as the rich uncle of Kingsbridge, so while Kingsbridge (west of Broadway and particularly west of Tibbett Avenue) is relatively safe, I would pick Riverdale over Kingsbridge easily. It has great transportation (two Metro-North stations and three express buses to Manhattan). I say that because a lot of people don't want to put up with the 1 train. It's become much more crowded as Inwood, Kingsbridge and the like become more popular and it is all local stops to 96th street which can be annoying late at night and even more annoying if you work on the east side of Manhattan given the numerous transfers needed.

Shopping along Broadway is what it is, and many either go to Manhattan or Westchester. I don't find the quality along Broadway to be that great, so if you have a car keep that in mind. Kingsbridge is much smaller so you'll have FAR fewer co-op options compared to Riverdale.

Riverdale includes all subsections, which consists of:

1. Spuyten Duyvil (the very southern part of Riverdale also called "South Riverdale" sometimes)
2. Central Riverdale (the Downtown part of Riverdale, which is also the most walkable with the shops and stores along West 235th and Johnson Avenues)
3. Fieldston (the estate area - wealthiest part of Riverdale - many mansions in the millions)
4. Hudson Hill (the estate area west of Henry Hudson Parkway)
5. North Riverdale

It's worth nothing that both neighborhoods are VERY hilly (especially Riverdale - all areas), so I hope you're up for dealing with them.
Thanks for the lengthy response!
I've put in offers for a couple of apartments: one past W254th and one by Fort Independence Playground on Sedgwick Ave. Is the area southeast of 238th Street subway shady during late nights?

I like that Van Cortlandt is closeby and it's a short walk from the 238th Street station but my biggest issues is buying from emotional sellers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City