Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:33 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh1005 View Post
Thanks for the lengthy response!
I've put in offers for a couple of apartments: one past W254th and one by Fort Independence Playground on Sedgwick Ave. Is the area southeast of 238th Street subway shady during late nights?

I like that Van Cortlandt is closeby and it's a short walk from the 238th Street station but my biggest issues is buying from emotional sellers...
Well let's put it this way... If I were purchasing, I'd go with the one past West 254th street. I assume you're referring to Broadway when you say shady. There can be characters late at night and 238th isn't as busy as the 231st street station that's for sure. You have panhandlers and the like, and this is where you feel like you live in the Bronx for sure.

It's under an elevated subway so it feels darker and so on. Take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. A lot of people will simply take the express bus late at night since it is safer and usually much faster than the 1 train. The BxM3 doesn't run as late as the BxM1 and BxM2, but plenty of people get off at 230th and Broadway and are picked up or make their way to Kingsbridge or elsewhere. People who live in Yonkers even take the express bus to 230th and Broadway and then are picked up.

The thing about where you put in an offer is it can be very quiet in and around Sedgwick... Often times too quiet, and safety at times can be a block by block thing, so there you need to be aware of your surroundings too, and if you have a car, be sure to park in well lit areas. That area and Riverdale as well despite being very safe have issues with car theft, so get parking on-site or in a garage if you can regardless of which area you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 03:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Riverdale, Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Park and Kingsbridge Heights all have "step streets" because the neighborhoods are too hilly to walk up from one street to the next in parts. Riverdale has some of the highest elevations in the area with great views, but the same is true of Van Cortlandt Village. Very very hilly neighborhood. Riverdale has better transportation options to get around those hills though. Van Cortlandt Village less so, so a lot of people tend to drive. Bus service is not that great (Bx1, Bx2 and Bx10) as they all meander around those hills to and from to reach the subway (Mosholu Parkway station). From Mosholu Parkway it is a long ride to Manhattan.

For macnyc it would be. The area that they would be living in is quite hilly and reaching the main area where there is bus service of any kind would not be fun. However, if they're smart they'll use the less hilly roads and get off uphill here and there where possible. Always nicer walking downhill (most of the time save snowstorms ).
My final question is, isn't Kingsbridge a Hispanic majority neighborhood?

Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes it is why? The densest parts are generally east of Tibbett Avenue where there are a lot of apartment buildings. West of Tibbett Avenue tends to be homeowners with a few co-ops or condos thrown in. However, rents have increased substantially in Kingsbridge (1 bedrooms now go for $1500 - 1600). Landlords are gutting apartments and putting in washers and dryers in some cases and really highlighting the closeness of the 1 subway train but also trying to push Kingsbridge as if it were a part of Riverdale. This is turn has pushed some Hispanic families out. Kingsbridge has a substantial Dominican population. I know of one Dominican family that moved and went to New Jersey, so like Inwood, gentrification is happening and while the area is still majority Hispanic, if rents keep going up the way that they have that may not remain as so.

If we're talking historically, Kingsbridge like Inwood was an Irish neighborhood. When Inwood started to change, the Irish fled to places like Riverdale. The same is true with Kingsbridge, but west of Tibbett Avenue still has some Irish families.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-12-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM

461 posts, read 556,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes, and it has been for at least 20 years. But there is a noticeable number of long-standing Jewish residents in areas like Van Cortlandt Village (which is around the furthest north blocks on Sedgwick avenue), ditto for Irish and Greeks. There are also presences of Albanian and Russian immigrants in VCV and other parts of Kingsbridge, but it pales in comparison to Dominicans who are probably the neighborhood’s majority. I’d venture a guess that the number of white ethnics leaving is less than the number of white professionals moving in. Dominicans who get priced out of upper Manhattan also move in, but that’s slowing down as prices in Kingsbridge continue to rise.

Kingsbridge is a low crime area, as is much of Kingsbridge Heights until you get to its southern most tip. Obviously it’s not Riverdale but it has a charm of its own, lots of trees on some blocks, and as the gentrification continues I’m sure more bars and amenities will open up - there’s already been major development in this regard in the past 5 years.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes it is why? The densest parts are generally east of Tibbett Avenue where there are a lot of apartment buildings. West of Tibbett Avenue tends to be homeowners with a few co-ops or condos thrown in. However, rents have increased substantially in Kingsbridge (1 bedrooms now go for $1500 - 1600). Landlords are gutting apartments and putting in washers and dryers in some cases and really highlighting the closeness of the 1 subway train but also trying to push Kingsbridge as if it were a part of Riverdale. This is turn has pushed some Hispanic families out. Kingsbridge has a substantial Dominican population. I know of one Dominican family that moved and went to New Jersey, so like Inwood, gentrification is happening and while the area is still majority Hispanic, if rents keep going up the way that they have that may not remain as so.

If we're talking historically, Kingsbridge like Inwood was an Irish neighborhood. When Inwood started to change, the Irish fled to places like Riverdale. The same is true with Kingsbridge, but west of Tibbett Avenue still has some Irish families.
I asked because I thought you said that Kingsbridge is a white neighborhood. But yeah, the neighborhood is definitely getting more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Yes, and it has been for at least 20 years. But there is a noticeable number of long-standing Jewish residents in areas like Van Cortlandt Village (which is around the furthest north blocks on Sedgwick avenue), ditto for Irish and Greeks. There are also presences of Albanian and Russian immigrants in VCV and other parts of Kingsbridge, but it pales in comparison to Dominicans who are probably the neighborhood’s majority. I’d venture a guess that the number of white ethnics leaving is less than the number of white professionals moving in. Dominicans who get priced out of upper Manhattan also move in, but that’s slowing down as prices in Kingsbridge continue to rise.

Kingsbridge is a low crime area, as is much of Kingsbridge Heights until you get to its southern most tip. Obviously it’s not Riverdale but it has a charm of its own, lots of trees on some blocks, and as the gentrification continues I’m sure more bars and amenities will open up - there’s already been major development in this regard in the past 5 years.
Great post! I agree. Also there seems to be a decent amoubt of Mexicans in Kingsbridge.

I like that neighborhood a lot, it still feels like The Bronx without being hood.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post

What I do know is some professionals have been moving into Kingsbridge west of Tibbett Avenue. These are people who have higher incomes but not necessarily Riverdale incomes. I would imagine these are the kind of people landlords are targeting with such extensive renovations. For now there doesn't seem to be too much change in the ethnic make-up particularly east of Tibbett Avenue, and that may be due to the gritty feel of West 231st and around the subway itself. If that changes though, that's when things may get interesting.

With the way rents are ticking upward, I would think if prices get around $1700-1800 for one bedrooms that's when there would be some changes, as for a little bit more, you can live up the hill in Riverdale. Rents for one bedrooms in Riverdale can vary based on what part of Riverdale renovated or not, doorman and so on. Not uncommon to pay $2400 for a one bedroom at the high end.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 AM

15 posts, read 28,402 times
Default Riverdale Coop buyers BEWARE!

The Coop Boards are infamous for rejecting qualified buyers!! Even if you go into Contract, meet the financial requirements, get an approved mortgage the Coop BOARD will deny your application without an interview. Imagine spending hundreds on application, attorney fee and appraisal only to be rejected because the offer price was not high enough to for them and they want a sale OVER MARKET to over-value their Coop! Or because they simply have something against the Seller. I actually feel bad for the Seller who's unable to sell after over A YEAR on the market.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCliving21 View Post
The Coop Boards are infamous for rejecting qualified buyers!! Even if you go into Contract, meet the financial requirements, get an approved mortgage the Coop BOARD will deny your application without an interview. Imagine spending hundreds on application, attorney fee and appraisal only to be rejected because the offer price was not high enough to for them and they want a sale OVER MARKET to over-value their Coop! Or because they simply have something against the Seller. I actually feel bad for the Seller who's unable to sell after over A YEAR on the market.
What else is new? Picky co-op boards is nothing new. It's one big reason why Riverdale has remained so buttoned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City