Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,027 times

Advertisements

I have to revise my application from 1985 (yes, that's right; 34 years ago!) and choose between a studio apt & a one-bedroom, since I no longer qualify for a 2-bedroom (I did back in 1985---or else there wasn't a minimum # of occupants for the 2 bedroom list----it was so long ago I actually can't remember.

I recnetly got word that I'm #10 for the 2 bedroom list, which sounded great, but now, since I no longer qualify for the 2 bedroom (nor do I need it), I'm told I find I have to get at the end of another list. That's the rule if you change your request.

Does anyone out there know which list is shorter? Intuitively, I would guess the studio is shorter than the one-bedroom, but for all I know there are more people in need of a smaller cheaper apt---perhaps internal residents who need to downgrade because of retirement, for example.

Of course the management office won't give me any advice about this.

And has anyone out there ever heard of waiting 34 years on the waiting list?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 05:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,784,991 times
How did they contact you? Mail or phone? If mail does this mean you have live in your current place for 34yrs? Sounds like a good situation to stay somewhere that long.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 6,629,057 times
If they put you on the end of the old list, the one from 2014, you might get called soon because there’s a new list coming out at some point.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:44 PM

15 posts, read 21,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aninalee View Post
I have to revise my application from 1985 (yes, that's right; 34 years ago!) and choose between a studio apt & a one-bedroom, since I no longer qualify for a 2-bedroom (I did back in 1985---or else there wasn't a minimum # of occupants for the 2 bedroom list----it was so long ago I actually can't remember.

I recnetly got word that I'm #10 for the 2 bedroom list, which sounded great, but now, since I no longer qualify for the 2 bedroom (nor do I need it), I'm told I find I have to get at the end of another list. That's the rule if you change your request.

Does anyone out there know which list is shorter? Intuitively, I would guess the studio is shorter than the one-bedroom, but for all I know there are more people in need of a smaller cheaper apt---perhaps internal residents who need to downgrade because of retirement, for example.

Of course the management office won't give me any advice about this.

And has anyone out there ever heard of waiting 34 years on the waiting list?

Thanks.
Was your application on hold during this time? Since the Penn South policy (from what I've heard) only allows you to turn down 2 apartments, I'm curious as to how you were able to stay on the list this long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery