Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 AM

515 posts, read 527,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBnative93 View Post
Thanks will do!
Do you typically get overtime? These lottery tend to calculate the higher amount because they use the "projected income" concept. SO if they see that you got overtime for the last year or two they are going to count it. Same thing for bonuses. If you get an end of year bonus that would be counted as well.

Rent is never adjusted in these lottery to match your income.
If your income does not fall within one the available brackets for your household size you will be denied.
BUT then you can always appeal as long as you can disprove what the marketing agent denied you far.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 8,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Do you typically get overtime? These lottery tend to calculate the higher amount because they use the "projected income" concept. SO if they see that you got overtime for the last year or two they are going to count it. Same thing for bonuses. If you get an end of year bonus that would be counted as well.

Rent is never adjusted in these lottery to match your income.
If your income does not fall within one the available brackets for your household size you will be denied.
BUT then you can always appeal as long as you can disprove what the marketing agent denied you far.
Thank you I will look that over for sure.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,750,988 times
Sorry it's so hard for you, KK.

I haven't had any problems in my lottery building. On the other hand, I'm a white almost-middle-aged professional and I dress like it, so I don't "not fit in" very visibly. POC or people in lower income bands might have a different experience. Not much in the way of camaraderie--though one of my neighbors I met via this board!

Old 11-25-2019, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 24,115 times
What happens if someone works per diem and has taken some time off but resumed work now. My sister has 2 paystubs as she just got back to work recently since the summer (she works per diem). Based on the two paystubs she falls within the bracket but if they go by the year to date she would not since she didn't work a lot prior during the year.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:35 AM

15 posts, read 21,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsNYC View Post
Has anyone NOT received this letter from Penn South? I'm on the 2 bed/balcony list and haven't received any communication from them. Really worried about this
I was on the studio balcony list. It's possible that they didn't send letters to people on the 2 bedroom balcony list but I'm not sure. The letter said that they were taking external applicants off of the studio balcony list because there are fewer balconies and they almost always go to internal applicants. The website says the same thing about all balcony apartments so I wanted to let everyone know. Did you call or email them?

I didn't like the fact that we had to resubmit a notarized application. They could just have said that we were being moved to the "no preference" list and if someone really wanted to be removed from the list completely, they could send back the removal request form. There was a very short window of time to respond and if someone was out of town for a few weeks, they would have missed it.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 37,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianapartmentlog View Post
I did my interview in may ms Pena had my file ... ms green seem okay she sent my file out last Thursday as well . But she seem cool .. she said that they trying to move people in by December. And someone should call me this week to view the apt
They didn’t tell us anything about calling to view the apartment this week. That’s good! Your 1 step closer than I am.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:57 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,040,004 times
I moved into a lottery unit (studio) in Brooklyn this year and have not experienced any problems. I am loving having a fitness room in the building, central heat and air, and just general newness of things. Plus it has made my commute and city travel times so much better, and I love being right next to Prospect Park. Super has been responsive to my requests and the doorpeople are nice. It is especially hard in my building to tell who got in via lottery and who hasn't since all the lottery apartments were for 130% AMI and many residents paying full rate are not all that far off the upper income range for 130% anyway. Plus in my building there are actually a number of POC professionals that are not lottery. Of the lottery winners I do know about, one is a dorky young white couple, two single middle aged African American women and then there's me, an older middle aged Newyorican. I am of an older demographic than about 80% of the building, but most of the neighbors seem nice - it's the uber-hipsters that seem the most stand-offish.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:15 AM

60 posts, read 66,853 times
Hi,

I got a message that they reached my log number but there are no more units available.

This is the message I received:

We have received your application for residency in the project indicated above. Although we have reached your log number, there are no more remaining available units. Your application will remain on the lottery log and you will be contacted if and when we reach your log number for any available units that correspond to your income and household size requirements.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:39 AM

515 posts, read 527,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kveras446 View Post
What happens if someone works per diem and has taken some time off but resumed work now. My sister has 2 paystubs as she just got back to work recently since the summer (she works per diem). Based on the two paystubs she falls within the bracket but if they go by the year to date she would not since she didn't work a lot prior during the year.

She took a break in the summer but she worked from January 2019 to June 2019 then from Sept 2019 to the present with the same employer. Is that what you're saying?
Those two paystubs might be used to calculate her future income IF it differs from past income.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought per diem refers to an employer covering expenses related to your job.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Income eligibility starts on page 45.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:08 PM

26 posts, read 24,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
She took a break in the summer but she worked from January 2019 to June 2019 then from Sept 2019 to the present with the same employer. Is that what you're saying?
Those two paystubs might be used to calculate her future income IF it differs from past income.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought per diem refers to an employer covering expenses related to your job.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Income eligibility starts on page 45.
Yes that's what I was saying.

No per diem means you work day by day as you chose for a per day pay. You technically don't have an annual salary because it's all about how many days you chose to work or not. Super tricky I feel for these kind of apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery