Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,258 times

Advertisements

Bit of a long story but I'll try to make it short. This summer my bf moved down (with lots of stuff in boxes) and we started searching for a new apartment (My Mom currently lives with me). She gets news a few months ago that she was finally approved for a studio in a ML coop (after 6 years)!! Bf and I put our apartment search on hold because I am on our current lease and we would love to keep our rent stabilized apartment of 30+ years in Greenpoint. I went with her to her ML appointment today to see the studio and we were both very happy (also happy for my Mom because she is getting older and a walk up and 2 br apartment is hard for her to maintain). The only thing getting us nervous is the home visit. We w)are not hoarders but we do have a lot of stuff and some boxes and bins to store seasonal stuff/clothing. We actually moved my bed into a storage unit so we could store my bfs stuff in the other bedroom while we searched and just slept on our pull out couch. A family friend currently living in this same ML development said she knows people who have gotten denied because they has boxes on top of their closets that were considered "clutter" and now I feel we are panicking to get our apartment in "pristine" shape (it really is not bad tho but I am worried and I really really need my elderly Mom to get this ML). My Mom also lives partially with my brother most of the week because she takes care of her grandbaby while they work.

Anyone have experience with the home visit? What did they look for? Should I be panicking about our boxes? I'm scared and don't feel like we have much time The guy said to take our time with the paperwork but I dont want to take too long. Am I crazy for starting to lose sleep over this. Also, I thought I read an article saying that home visits were now abolished or is that only for housing connect lotteries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 10:42 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Rent another storage unit and move the extra stuff in there.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:33 PM

345 posts, read 853,164 times
Ask your neighbors, family or friends if you can keep some stuff in their places temporarily until the inspection is over.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:42 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Similar to macnyc, why not keep your BED in the bedroom and put all the CLUTTER in a storage unit. Maybe you still have time top do this.

Get everything except furniture OFF the floor.

On one home inspection, the inspector asked why we would ever want to move...he was so impressed with our apartment...a lot nicer than the Mitchell Lama I have now.

He said "You would be SURPRISED the things we see. Last month we saw a bed with 4 tires on it."

Old 01-03-2020, 09:04 PM

That’s hilarious! Those people can say they’re literally “tired”!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:34 PM

494 posts, read 557,397 times
The way things are going this year we will see a Tire bedframe sold at some high priced retail store. Then have the cheap copy dropshipped from China.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the tips! Prep has been great. We dont have anything on our floors that isn't furniture and made lots of room in our closets and really just did some early spring cleaning. Paranoia hit me hard but we all feel better now. I also had moved my bed into storage because it was a twin so my bf and I could not both fit on it. Now we just are crossing our fingers and waiting for our appointment ✌

Old 01-05-2020, 07:22 AM

Good luck! Many buildings have had a serious problem with residents hoarding, so any evidence of that may have kept you out! Plus it’s good to get rid of stuff periodically

Old 01-12-2020, 09:06 AM

We had our apartment inspection today. The woman came in, took a picture of my Mom and then promptly left. She only stepped into our kitchen and went no further. Good news, I guess? We really cleaned up well so spring cleaning will be a breeze this year haha. Thank you everyone for all the information!

Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Good luck! Please let us know when you’ve been approved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery