Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 12:15 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times

Advertisements

It's so funny, many years ago, back in the 80s, I thought about going on the Penn South list. But I had heard that there was a bad roach problem, and also that the elevators stopped at every other floor! (I don't know if that last part is/was true.)

I think any resident impacted by roaches should call 311 and file a complaint. The Department of Buildings will put a violation on the address. I don't know if a limited-equity co-op cares about that as much as a regular co-op, but Penn South will have to deal with the violation somehow.

I remember that Penn South had quite a problem with hoarders, which was uncovered after pipes needed to be replaced and residents were forced to open their doors. Penn South had to hire professionals to persuade people to get rid of their clutter, and I believe it added $1 million to the cost of the pipe project, as well as delays.

It sounds to me as if the resident in the roach apartment is refusing to let exterminators inside. God know what it looks like in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 PM

59 posts, read 65,718 times
I read some comment somewhere about Lindsay Park ML also having some roach problem?

Old 10-06-2020, 02:39 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
I noticed only 2 people from the 2019 lottery put themselves on hold for the Studio list. All the holds are from 2014 or earlier. 36 people are on hold out of the 375 spots.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:04 AM

67 posts, read 94,434 times
I've moved about 13 spots so far on the studio list. Is this standard or is the list moving slowing with COVID?

Old 10-08-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
I've moved about 13 spots so far on the studio list. Is this standard or is the list moving slowing with COVID?
There is no standard as you can't determine when people will want to move. You have to remember there are only 375 TOTAL studio apartments in all the buildings. I think you are in the 200's. So if you are exactly #200, then you need more then half the people in the apartments to move out.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Even though Penn South is still a great deal, Look at the prices from when this article was written in 2004

https://cooperator.com/article/affor...n-chelsea/full

" A two bedroom in Penn South goes for about $23,000, and a three-bedroom, $29,000"

Old 10-08-2020, 11:29 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Excellent article. Thanks for posting! I missed my chance to get in there in the 1980s!

I was surprised that many of the original residents moved in when they were close to retirement age. I pictured lots of young families, like Stuyvesant Town. I guess there was a combination of all groups at PS.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:41 AM

26 posts, read 32,659 times
When my Dad moved to Stuyvesant Town 26 years ago it was mostly older people. But that changed over tim and I believe they actively encouraged young families to move in. That was before it was sold. It’s nice to have a mix of people there but it got more expensive and lots of NYU students moving in and out which drives up the rents. Still a lovely place to live.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:49 AM

18 posts, read 25,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I've moved up 20 spots since I started, so there is definitely movement.

Also do any of you belong to the Penn South Facebook Group? Apparently there is a roach problem in building 10. Someone posted pictures of their neighbor's door with roaches crawling out of it constantly. Like 30 roaches on this one door. Ew.
Thank you so much for sharing this!! I have phobia from Roaches. If I found one, I could actually spend nights thinking where are they and open the light every few seconds. It's a real anxiety for me to live in building with roaches ( I couldn't even read this message more than one time so I don't imagine them). Could one of the current residents at Penn South please let me know if this a one time incident or there's a roach problem in Penn South?. Although it's a life time opportunity, this will certainly impact my decision moving there

Old 10-11-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwibaeltom View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this!! I have phobia from Roaches. If I found one, I could actually spend nights thinking where are they and open the light every few seconds. It's a real anxiety for me to live in building with roaches ( I couldn't even read this message more than one time so I don't imagine them). Could one of the current residents at Penn South please let me know if this a one time incident or there's a roach problem in Penn South?. Although it's a life time opportunity, this will certainly impact my decision moving there
Roaches are a part of living in NYC. Even if you are clean, buildings are old and they are in the walls and neighbors apartments. You truthfully can't escape them. But there shouldn't be a huge infestation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery