Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 03:40 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

As far as I can tell, you have to take those descriptions with a grain of salt. I have gone all over the floor plans countless times, and I have never seen anything that I would really consider to be a sleeping alcove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 03:44 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
This is where my lack of visualization skills come into play!

Because when you read the chart of the prices of the studios, some are 2.5 (living room, kitchen, small dining area) or 3-3.5 rooms, so where is the sleeping alcove? LOL
I have already gone over each studio layout, picked new furniture and placed where everything was gonna be based on the measurements . Here's hoping the furniture is still available when I move in.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:37 AM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
Does anyone know approximately how much closing costs are and does Carmen point you in the direction of an attorney to help you cover the closing? I'm trying to plan how much additional money I need to save for closing costs, moving expenses and purchase of new appliances. I've never bought property before so I have no clue how any of this works!

Old 01-27-2021, 07:03 AM

67 posts, read 94,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I have already gone over each studio layout, picked new furniture and placed where everything was gonna be based on the measurements . Here's hoping the furniture is still available when I move in.
Same! I have digital furnished plans for all of them. All I can do is look at them and dream of the day

Old 01-27-2021, 07:21 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Does anyone know approximately how much closing costs are and does Carmen point you in the direction of an attorney to help you cover the closing? I'm trying to plan how much additional money I need to save for closing costs, moving expenses and purchase of new appliances. I've never bought property before so I have no clue how any of this works!
closing costs figure about 4K.
no attorney involved nor inspection or appraisal. You're certainly free to get one to review the coop documentation but it's not like there's negotiations to be had.

moving expenses? depends on your property and furniture.
purchase of new appliances? you need a stove and a fridge. depends on what you want. we bought full size oven and counter depth french door fridge with water/ice dispenser from PC Richards. That cost us about 3K with delivery charges.

You'll need flooring for the kitchen at least and someone to do it unless you do it yourself.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
closing costs figure about 4K.
no attorney involved nor inspection or appraisal. You're certainly free to get one to review the coop documentation but it's not like there's negotiations to be had.

moving expenses? depends on your property and furniture.
purchase of new appliances? you need a stove and a fridge. depends on what you want. we bought full size oven and counter depth french door fridge with water/ice dispenser from PC Richards. That cost us about 3K with delivery charges.

You'll need flooring for the kitchen at least and someone to do it unless you do it yourself.
Thank you so much for all the information over the years, you've been an amazing resource. I was just going by what I read on Google about needing an attorney for a purchase of a coop in NY. LOL

And I'm not a cook by any means so I'll be getting the cheapest stove and fridge I can find.

Good note about the flooring. So I'll expect to have to save at least another 8-9k on top of the down payment!

Old 01-27-2021, 12:34 PM

Actually, Trisky, I did find a studio with a foyer that can be used as a sleeping alcove:

https://static.pennsouth.coop/floor_...eleft_20_e.pdf

But it's only on the 20th and 21st floors, I believe, so it's very rare.

A person can position a bookcase or some kind of room divider to separate the alcove from the front door. By my calculations, the alcove is 8 feet by 7 feet.

And I think this would fall into the 2.5 room category, but hard to say.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Actually, Trisky, I did find a studio with a foyer that can be used as a sleeping alcove:

https://static.pennsouth.coop/floor_...eleft_20_e.pdf

But it's only on the 20th and 21st floors, I believe, so it's very rare.

A person can position a bookcase or some kind of room divider to separate the alcove from the front door. By my calculations, the alcove is 8 feet by 7 feet.

And I think this would fall into the 2.5 room category, but hard to say.
Yes, see I could visualize that as a place to put a bed, but I can't see it in any other studio layout, like where do they squeeze a whole other .5-1 rooms out of in the other layouts?

Right now I'm planning to save as if I'm going to be offered the $106,000 3 room studio and then if I get a cheaper one, great, I'll have more money to put towards the downpayment.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 PM

27 posts, read 29,789 times
We looked at 2 studios in October that had sleeping alcoves. I think they were both on 9th Ave and on the 20th and 21st floors. The living area had a distinct alcove that was not a foyer. They were mirror images of each other and were quite nice but the kitchens were tiny. Big balconies, though. West facing, if I recall.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:51 PM

Did your daughter have either of them as an option?

Also, the one your daughter picked, was that considered a 3 room studio or 3.5? I recall you saying that it has a balcony and the larger kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery