Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:04 PM

145 posts, read 149,065 times

Advertisements

I'm preparing for my upcoming housing lottery interview, and there's a few documents that I need to get from my landlord that seem like they can all be included in the same document, but I want to be sure as I want to make sure I have everything I need. The documents are:

1. Copy of your current lease, if you rent your own apartment. If you do not have a lease, a notarized letter from your landlord.

2. If you do not rent your own apartment and you are living with someone else, bring a notarized letter from your housemate along with a copy of their lease and copies of their utility bills

3. Proof of the amount you are supposed to pay in rent monthly, like your lease, a notarized affidavit from the building owner or manager, etc.

I don't have a lease, so I need documentation from my landlord, but it seems that everything above (besides the copy of the utilities) can be included in the same document.

For those who have experience with this, do I need all separate documents are can I just have one with all the requested information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM

494 posts, read 557,397 times
My landlord pays all the utilities and he included that in his notarized letter. You should have proof of rent payment, that should be a rent receipt. Possibly your landlord can write that you are in good standing and the amount you pay. But if you have the receipts just use those. Life is easier when you give them what they ask for.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
My landlord pays all the utilities and he included that in his notarized letter. You should have proof of rent payment, that should be a rent receipt. Possibly your landlord can write that you are in good standing and the amount you pay. But if you have the receipts just use those. Life is easier when you give them what they ask for.
These documents aren't asking for proof of payment. That's a separate document that I will provide. My question is, since these are all roughly asking for the same thing (basically stuff that would be included in a lease), could they all be combined into the same notarized letter instead of 3 separate letters.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:51 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
These documents aren't asking for proof of payment. That's a separate document that I will provide. My question is, since these are all roughly asking for the same thing (basically stuff that would be included in a lease), could they all be combined into the same notarized letter instead of 3 separate letters.
Yes you can. It's exactly what I did.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Yes you can. It's exactly what I did.
Thank you! I actually ended up calling the person I'm having the interview with, and she said that it can be just 1 document.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:09 PM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Thank you! I actually ended up calling the person I'm having the interview with, and she said that it can be just 1 document.
Good Luck! Come back and let us know how it went! Also, which development are you interviewing for?

Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Good Luck! Come back and let us know how it went! Also, which development are you interviewing for?
Just leaving the interview and it was pretty quick and painless. However, it’s concerning that they ended up asking for documents that weren’t required on the list. They asked for my SS card which wasn’t on the list, and my birth certificate, which is on the list but it says only for minors. They also asked for my 2018 W’2s, but on the list, they ask for last years W’2s, so I only had my 2019 W’2s.

They give you a few days to send the documents over and lucky for me I have them, but it’s concerning for people who may not have them readily available. She said that if they’re not supplied in 5 days, I’d be denied.

And the building is The Frederick in Harlem. Fingers crossed!

Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Just leaving the interview and it was pretty quick and painless. However, it’s concerning that they ended up asking for documents that weren’t required on the list. They asked for my SS card which wasn’t on the list, and my birth certificate, which is on the list but it says only for minors. They also asked for my 2018 W’2s, but on the list, they ask for last years W’2s, so I only had my 2019 W’2s.

They give you a few days to send the documents over and lucky for me I have them, but it’s concerning for people who may not have them readily available. She said that if they’re not supplied in 5 days, I’d be denied.

Make sure they confirm receipt when you do send it. They can be shifty and deny you saying you did not send in the required documents.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:

That's a pain smh but glad that you are able to access those documents easily. Good Luck! I have an interview next week for a development in hell's kitchen and I think i'll bring a couple years of tax returns even though they only asked for last year's... just to be on the safe side!

Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
That's a pain smh but glad that you are able to access those documents easily. Good Luck! I have an interview next week for a development in hell's kitchen and I think i'll bring a couple years of tax returns even though they only asked for last year's... just to be on the safe side!
This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't give them any "extra" documents like tax returns unless you are asked specifically for them.

I haven't seen my Social Security card in years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery