Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 03:26 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information, thoughts, or ideas on how landlords of affordable housing will handle rent in the upcoming months? I think people in affordable housing units will probably be in the population most affected by the actions the government is taking to combat the Coronavirus. I also feel like Landlords with affordable housing units might take a different approach than regular landlords. Best case scenario, they would get government help and wave rent...but I could be dreaming.

I just recently moved into a unit which is amazing, however my employer today told everyone to go home for the rest of the week and he would re-evaluate Monday so naturally I'm concerned. Just missing 2 days of pay puts me in a difficult position and I feel like things are going to get worse before they get better.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 04:18 PM

515 posts, read 525,868 times
Evictions have been halted in NY, so there's that.
As for how things will be handled after we go back to normal there's no word on that yet.
It's one thing for landlords not to be able to open an eviction case right now but if you can't pay the late rent in the future because of loss of income due to all that's going on right now then the current no eviction order obviously won't do people any good in the future, just the present.
I think maybe some sort of rent repayment plan will go into effect or the government is also talking about sending people money starting next month. So maybe for those who qualify that would help in paying your rent.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Apply for unemployment insurance now. The 7-day waiting period is waived.

The rent control board votes in June for renewals starting in the coming October, I believe. Unless there's a miraculous turnaround, the pressure to freeze rents will be huge. So there's that.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:28 AM

16 posts, read 9,858 times
I called my office yesterday and they told me to pay what I can. The late fees and whatnot are being waived for now. She directed me also to check out the Access HRA section on ny.gov website for possible cash assistance.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:17 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Good luck to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery