Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,595 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Most of the information that I am finding online concerning what projects are the best/safest projects in the Bronx to move into is very old and outdated information.

My guardian pass away last month. I was on the lease so NYCHA transferred everything over into my name. However the apartment is too big so I am being compelled to move out. I also no longer wish to live in the development were I grew up so my eyes are looking outward.

However, I am so lost and don't even now where to began. Although I grew up in NYCHA projects in the south bronx. I grew up very VERY sheltered. I need help. I do not want to leave the Bronx however I don't know where to move as a single young lady. Any and all advice is welcomed. I need to know what NYCHA Bronx projects are more or less relatively okay/safe for me to transfer to. I had heard that Pelham Parkway was more or less safe however my housing manager said there were no openings for that development and informed me I needed to pick something else. Please help I have to give my manager a response ASAP!

Thank you in advance. I also wish good health and safety for everyone during these trying times. (4/27/2020)

Last edited by JoylynaTemple; 04-27-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 12:05 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your guardian. I know that can be rough.

If I am being totally honest, NYCHA is not for you. If you are a sheltered young woman, you should be thinking about living somewhere else. You should try looking at Mitchell Lamas with vacancies or short waiting lists as they are far safer, cleaner, and better than any NYCHA out there.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:50 AM

2 posts, read 11,595 times
Default Sometimes you just have to make the best with what you are give.

Thank you. Let me mention that although I did grow up sheltered, growing up in the projects in the South Bronx there was still that unavoidable exposure to certain things. I am not naive, nor am I incapable of making educated decisions or using common sense. Unavoidably, this was that hand that I was dealt in life, and in a time like now, I aim to make the best of it. However I still want to thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate that very much. Thanks again. Take care and be well.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,352 times
I lived in NYCHA in the South Bronx for more than 20 years before moving out. What did it for me was a few things but mainly I was paying more money to live in deplorable conditions than what my colleagues were paying to live in affordable housing apartments with luxury amenities.

Which Projects do you live in now? Im asking due to growing up in the south bronx and still living here, ive been in almost all of them due to having friends who lived in them or still live in them. From the terrible dangerous Bronx River Houses, Soundview Projects, Cypress, Mott Haven, Melrose, Forest, to the less dangerous ones Parkchester, Morrisania, Millbrook.
Im not even going to touch on anything inside Claremont Village (that entire strip from 168th to 171st between Webster ave and 3rd ave). That entire strip needs to be demolished and rebuilt with less density. Its so bad I cannot even begin to describe it.

Do you want to stay in NYCHA? I know the whole 30% of household income is rent but if you make enough and save, a Mitchell Lama might be a better alternative. There are also Affordable Housing lotteries if you happen to fall into the magical category that gets you the 1 bedroom apartment for the lowest rent.

Do you really want to move? Long story short, I know many people that got NYCHA apartments passes on to them and they just got roommates and split the costs. Illegal? Yes, but if your in a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom and the rent is only based on 30% of your income alone, your now only paying 1/2 or 1/3rd of that meaning more money for you to save and get out of NYCHA.

How old are you? This ties in to how long do you think you will be living in NYCHA and do you have plans to get out?.

Do you plan to have kids? Its better to keep a big empty apartment rather than downsizing to a 1 bedroom only to have kids later then going back on the waiting list to get a bigger apartment. Selfish? yes i know but it is what it is and you do not want to be stuck in a 1 bedroom while sitting on a waiting list.

How do you get to work? This ties in with mass transportation and which lines are closest to you now and how do you get to work in the new location. Living somewhere like Eden Wall Projects means getting to the train station will be a journey.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoylynaTemple View Post
Hello everyone,

Most of the information that I am finding online concerning what projects are the best/safest projects in the Bronx to move into is very old and outdated information.

My guardian pass away last month. I was on the lease so NYCHA transferred everything over into my name. However the apartment is too big so I am being compelled to move out. I also no longer wish to live in the development were I grew up so my eyes are looking outward.

However, I am so lost and don't even now where to began. Although I grew up in NYCHA projects in the south bronx. I grew up very VERY sheltered. I need help. I do not want to leave the Bronx however I don't know where to move as a single young lady. Any and all advice is welcomed. I need to know what NYCHA Bronx projects are more or less relatively okay/safe for me to transfer to. I had heard that Pelham Parkway was more or less safe however my housing manager said there were no openings for that development and informed me I needed to pick something else. Please help I have to give my manager a response ASAP!

Thank you in advance. I also wish good health and safety for everyone during these trying times. (4/27/2020)

Sorry for delayed reply, but I wasn't having access to replying when you posted your inquiry. Parkchester condo complex would be perfect for you, but it is not NYCHA, no connection with NYCHA, rents are market rate for the Bronx, and Section 8 or similar vouchers are not widely accepted. Still, if you have a reliable source of rent payment and good references, it is worth taking a look. You sound like a person that would be happy living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery