Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 05:50 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMartin83 View Post
If you're ok settling for whatever they want to give you, then go right ahead...We, on the other hand, are paying for this, we are not getting anything for free, so yeah, I was complaining about the huge gap and the small fridge..This IS a luxury apt building after all, which means ss everything, and that was advertised from the very beginning. Like I've said before, and so have others, these developments get millions of dollars in tax cuts. Excuse the hell out of me for expecting the same treatment as everyone else.

Anyway, at the end of the day, we are super thankful that this apt is ours. We've moved in and it feels amazing, ended up putting our microwave on top! Best of luck to you beloved
Bare with me here. Im trying my best to understand this. So you put a microwave on top of the fridge?

So the fridge is so small that when you put the microwave on top and you can comfortable put items in and take items out of the microwave without overreaching or spillage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Curious what bracket you are in?
I would like to know the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
they're getting brand new apts with mice, inoperable dishwashers, no electric. smdh... the slums
Is there an article link?
I would love to get more insight on how luxury apartments have mice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 05:55 PM

77 posts, read 109,830 times
Quote:
If you're ok settling for whatever they want to give you, then go right ahead...We, on the other hand, are paying for this, we are not getting anything for free, so yeah, I was complaining about the huge gap and the small fridge..This IS a luxury apt building after all, which means ss everything, and that was advertised from the very beginning. Like I've said before, and so have others, these developments get millions of dollars in tax cuts. Excuse the hell out of me for expecting the same treatment as everyone else.

Anyway, at the end of the day, we are super thankful that this apt is ours. We've moved in and it feels amazing, ended up putting our microwave on top! Best of luck to you beloved
Glad you love your apartment!!!! I always say advocate. People act like we are living in an affordable housing unit as a favor to the landlord. No. We pay rent, regardless of how subsidized it is. I complain about things to my management that I'm certain other people would tell me it isn't a big deal (I ask for the windows to be cleaned), but I pay my rent in full and on time every month as I am contractually obligated. They are contractually obligated to provide certain services as well.

I'm glad your microwave fit the Gap and I definitely didn't think it was wrong to inquire about it.

I recently turned down a beautiful affordable housing unit in Manhattan because it didn't suit my needs. I wrote about how it didn't and some people said I should just be lucky that I received approval for one.

I think the anger at the housing situation in New York gets taken out on people unnecessarily. It isn't ungrateful to advocate for what you believe to be standard.

I agree certain appliances will not be placed in lower rate units, but I disagree that a $1600 fridge can't. Appliances depreciate on a standard rate. Not everyone who lives in affordable housing treats their home like trash and not everyone who lives in market keeps a pristine home.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:29 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Bare with me here. Im trying my best to understand this. So you put a microwave on top of the fridge?

So the fridge is so small that when you put the microwave on top and you can comfortable put items in and take items out of the microwave without overreaching or spillage?
I had an apartment with 0 counter space. I put a microwave on top of it. It'd guess her frid is probably 55-60 inches tall.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:32 PM

77 posts, read 109,830 times
Quote:

I could be wrong but it looks like Hell Up in Harlem was referencing some complaints listed by another brand new affordable housing unit. New residents have complained about spotty electricity, rodents and roaches, uninstalled or faulty dishwashers and other appliances.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 AM

111 posts, read 135,382 times
Quote:

Not only does it fit comfortably, but there is STILL space between the microwave and the ceiling cabinets..smdh...and i'm 5.3 tall...so, yeah they stuck a tiny fridge in here basically for a family. But whatever, we're working with it, because wth else are we supposed to do?

We're in the 80% AMI

Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM

111 posts, read 135,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemEsther View Post
Glad you love your apartment!!!! I always say advocate. People act like we are living in an affordable housing unit as a favor to the landlord. No. We pay rent, regardless of how subsidized it is. I complain about things to my management that I'm certain other people would tell me it isn't a big deal (I ask for the windows to be cleaned), but I pay my rent in full and on time every month as I am contractually obligated. They are contractually obligated to provide certain services as well.

I'm glad your microwave fit the Gap and I definitely didn't think it was wrong to inquire about it.

I recently turned down a beautiful affordable housing unit in Manhattan because it didn't suit my needs. I wrote about how it didn't and some people said I should just be lucky that I received approval for one.

I think the anger at the housing situation in New York gets taken out on people unnecessarily. It isn't ungrateful to advocate for what you believe to be standard.

I agree certain appliances will not be placed in lower rate units, but I disagree that a $1600 fridge can't. Appliances depreciate on a standard rate. Not everyone who lives in affordable housing treats their home like trash and not everyone who lives in market keeps a pristine home.
Yes, I don't understand why people assume that because we were awarded an affordable unit, that we have to kiss management's feet or something. I've been a landlord, and a tenant and I take care of my apt, regardless of who is paying the mortgage. I'm not asking for Viking appliances, I wanted an appropriately fitting fridge in the space that was built for it.

I actually had management come in to see our apt this wk because the panel on the side of the fridge was not finished. They just left the piece of wood against the wall and a gap. I refuse to be taken advantage of because I don't make $100k a yr. F That!

And good for you for not settling for an apt you wouldn't have been happy in. I understand many people have been applying for years (I applied to almost 75 apts in two and a half yrs) and have been called for two. We're all in the same boat, and we want a safe, nice place to live in. I just want fairness and equality.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:58 PM

33 posts, read 32,526 times
Unhappy Ungrateful complaining asses

Quote:
Not only does it fit comfortably, but there is STILL space between the microwave and the ceiling cabinets..smdh...and i'm 5.3 tall...so, yeah they stuck a tiny fridge in here basically for a family. But whatever, we're working with it, because wth else are we supposed to do?

We're in the 80% AMI
I’m sure your ungrateful complaining ass did find a way to “work” with it otherwise your ass would be right back on that list NEXT!!!!!

Old 05-21-2023, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 307 times
The buildings actually make more off of the affordable units than the market rates due to the tax credits, so they should give the same appliances/finishes as market rate

Old 05-22-2023, 11:41 AM

644 posts, read 734,424 times
They can and absolutely do. Finding an affordable apartment with the same appliances as market rate is rare these days. In my current apartment I was actually shown a model apartment, and when I got my own, the appliances were different. I was very disappointed and fell deceived but of course still took it. The funny thing is that I always see the MR fridges in the basement all falling apart, being thrown out

Old 05-22-2023, 02:29 PM

109 posts, read 84,718 times
I viewed two units in the same building before. the first apartment I viewed was way to small ( the bedroom and living room ) . The second model I viewed was more spacious. BOTH apartments had the same appliances though such as dishwasher, countless steel appliances etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery