Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 07:08 PM

33 posts, read 25,487 times

Advertisements

I need some advice making this decision! I had a really low log #(5*) for a recent project in Brooklyn and was called in to view the apartment (my docs sent in to HPD for final approval) and if approved I would sign a lease ASAP. My hesitation is that a project that I really want (5 min walk from my current place) still has not reached out for me to send my docs and that is the place that I really want due to it being WAYY bigger and the same rent price as the one I am being considered for.

I really like my current neighborhood and the project I am being considered for is somewhat far from where I am now and really small (from the pictures that I see online). I applied for both around the same time and both closed in Sept but they are being handled by 2 different agencies which might be the reason why one is moving quicker than the other (the one taking long is under Reside NYC ) .

Should I just sign the lease for the one I am being considered for despite the few negatives or should I wait it out and see if I get called for my "dream" apartment?

I know many don't win the lottery twice so I also don't want to miss my chance with this one

**Quick Background: First time moving out of parent's house and working from home. This "dream" apartment will still be close enough to them(especially during this time) and I love my current neighborhood.

PLEASE DROP SOME ADVICE! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 07:38 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
IF your second choice is something you would be happy with, take it. I don't know why you're assuming you'd be called for the other place, but you can't plan your life based on getting any project in particular. The odds are too against you.

But if you don't really like the second choice, or think it's not worth the money, you'll hardly be the first person to turn an offered apartment down. Don't take it JUST because it's the lottery.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:44 PM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope1017 View Post
I need some advice making this decision! I had a really low log #(5*) for a recent project in Brooklyn and was called in to view the apartment (my docs sent in to HPD for final approval) and if approved I would sign a lease ASAP. My hesitation is that a project that I really want (5 min walk from my current place) still has not reached out for me to send my docs and that is the place that I really want due to it being WAYY bigger and the same rent price as the one I am being considered for.

I really like my current neighborhood and the project I am being considered for is somewhat far from where I am now and really small (from the pictures that I see online). I applied for both around the same time and both closed in Sept but they are being handled by 2 different agencies which might be the reason why one is moving quicker than the other (the one taking long is under Reside NYC ) .

Should I just sign the lease for the one I am being considered for despite the few negatives or should I wait it out and see if I get called for my "dream" apartment?

I know many don't win the lottery twice so I also don't want to miss my chance with this one

**Quick Background: First time moving out of parent's house and working from home. This "dream" apartment will still be close enough to them(especially during this time) and I love my current neighborhood.

PLEASE DROP SOME ADVICE! Thanks in advance
So what is your log number for the lottery apartment that you really want? and do you have any preferences for that development? I'm assuming your log number of 50 something is for the apartment that is further away, right?

You mention that you were called to view the other apartment farther away from your current neighborhood but then you also say that it looks really small from pictures that you saw online.... so they called you to come in for a viewing but you haven't as yet? If this is the case, I would go see the apartment in person first before making the call. It might not be right up the block from your parents, but if the rents are the same for both apartments, there's no harm in checking out the one they called you to view, you may even end up liking it and it may not be as small as it seems online in the pictures. You don't have to sign on the dotted line the same day you see the apartment. If they ask you if you want it, ask them if you can have a few days to think it over and get back to them. The thing about the other lottery is that we need to know your log number and if you have any preferences to give you an opinion on whether waiting it out will be worth it for you.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
So what is your log number for the lottery apartment that you really want? and do you have any preferences for that development? I'm assuming your log number of 50 something is for the apartment that is further away, right?

You mention that you were called to view the other apartment farther away from your current neighborhood but then you also say that it looks really small from pictures that you saw online.... so they called you to come in for a viewing but you haven't as yet? If this is the case, I would go see the apartment in person first before making the call. It might not be right up the block from your parents, but if the rents are the same for both apartments, there's no harm in checking out the one they called you to view, you may even end up liking it and it may not be as small as it seems online in the pictures. You don't have to sign on the dotted line the same day you see the apartment. If they ask you if you want it, ask them if you can have a few days to think it over and get back to them. The thing about the other lottery is that we need to know your log number and if you have any preferences to give you an opinion on whether waiting it out will be worth it for you.
Thank you for the reply! For the one I'm going to view(further away but smaller based on pictures) my log # is in the 50s and the agent said my chances were really high and just waiting on HPD approval. But for the one I really want (near my current address) I have no log # yet and they said they haven't reached my application yet (they haven't even reached out for docs yet) but I'm guessing because I live in the community I would get cb preference. I contacted reside NYC to get an update and was told they have not reviewed my application yet. Wanted to see if I should just wait it out and see if they reach out but don't want to lose the other opportunity

Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
I would ask yourself if you turn down this one and don't get selected for the other one will you be kicking yourself for not taking it.
I understand you like the other one better for you but these lotteries are a gamble.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:40 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Not all developments have CB preference, so you should double check that.

But aside from that, you don’t even know what your log number is for that building.

Bottom line is, if you’re okay ending up with no apartment, turn down the one that’s farther away, and take your chances with the one you really want.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 PM

198 posts, read 175,889 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply! For the one I'm going to view(further away but smaller based on pictures) my log # is in the 50s and the agent said my chances were really high and just waiting on HPD approval. But for the one I really want (near my current address) I have no log # yet and they said they haven't reached my application yet (they haven't even reached out for docs yet) but I'm guessing because I live in the community I would get cb preference. I contacted reside NYC to get an update and was told they have not reviewed my application yet. Wanted to see if I should just wait it out and see if they reach out but don't want to lose the other opportunity
Sounds like you’re not even in the running for the other apartment. You have an opportunity given to you now. I know you don’t want to miss out on that. Maybe if the other apartment at least contacted you by email, I would say you have a chance but that isn’t the case. Just because you have cb preference doesn’t guarantee they will call you. Take the apartment before you miss out!

Old 11-12-2020, 09:57 PM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Yes, your chances are really high with such a low log # in the 50s!
If you don't even know what your log number is for the other lottery, I would say go through with the
viewing for this apartment and if you like it, take it! There's no guarantee that you'll get a nice low, log number for that other lottery that hasn't even assigned log numbers as yet. Of course if you don't like the apartment you're about to go view, no harm in turning it down. But you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Do you really want to move out of your parents' home? If you turn down the low log numbered apartment and wait it out for the other lottery, can you live with possibly not getting called due to a high log number? That would mean you would have to continue staying with your parents until another opportunity comes around (no way to determine how long that will take!)

I will say this, I just moved into a new lottery apartment last month. It was one of the few apartment lotteries that I applied to that gave me a low log number (and I had CB preference). Luckily I liked the apartment and amenities and had a pretty seamless apartment move. Since I've moved in, I still check the lottery website and I haven't seen any lotteries for Manhattan and very few lotteries for my AMI. I'm thankful that I took the apartment I have now as the rent is more affordable and the amenities are better than where I used to live. I would hate for you to pass up an opportunity that is certain just to wait it out for a "maybe or possibly" scenario. Go see the apartment! Come back and let us know if you like it. If so, go for it! Good luck!

Old 11-13-2020, 04:59 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
HPD will approve you quickly - usually days now if the paperwork is right.Take the apartment, it's not easy to make it this far in the process. Look at all the people still waiting just to submit documents. Of course, go see the apartment in person first.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I would ask yourself if you turn down this one and don't get selected for the other one will you be kicking yourself for not taking it.
I understand you like the other one better for you but these lotteries are a gamble.
I definitely would kick myself. I know I would be taking a huge gamble giving this one up especially not knowing any info/my status about my "dream apartment"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery