Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 09:17 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
I’m sorry but she obviously didn’t do her research. She also tagged the Bronx in one of her videos. Are we really going to all discredit ALL lotteries because of this one building and others that have ALWAYS stated that a percentage go to the homeless or people with some type of disability?? It’s obvious she didn’t win a lottery in an amazing neighborhood, so do we really expect much from those types of lotteries now?. Now if she was a 130AMI lottery winner then I would be concerned. I’ve been applying to lotteries for 6 year and I never apply to the ones in the Bronx, Harlem or the sketchy parts of Brooklyn and Queens for that same reason.

This is true. Especially to lotteries in those areas and having CB preference. You know that you'll definitely get sketchy people living in the building.

I also check for a ratio of very affordable (60%) to market rate (165%) and above. The less affordable apartments are in the building, the better a person's chances are not having these types of problems. It's unfortunate but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 01:59 PM

958 posts, read 935,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This is true. Especially to lotteries in those areas and having CB preference. You know that you'll definitely get sketchy people living in the building.

I also check for a ratio of very affordable (60%) to market rate (165%) and above. The less affordable apartments are in the building, the better a person's chances are not having these types of problems. It's unfortunate but true.
You’re right the very low income lotteries attract low class people especially the ones from
Homeless shelters and the projects

Old 10-01-2021, 07:57 PM

515 posts, read 525,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
You’re right the very low income lotteries attract low class people especially the ones from
Homeless shelters and the projects
YUP! You and Stormgal hit the nail right on head. The lower the AMIs unfortunately means lower class people and if the building is not in a good neighborhood or at least an up and coming neighborhood then the luxury aspect will almost 100% be going out the window. This is nothing new. That person honestly just sounded inexperienced, she probably won a lottery somewhere in the middle of the Bronx and was expecting an upper Eastside type of luxury building because those are the ones mentioned every time lotteries are talked about.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:12 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
You guys know that people (allegedly) in market-rate units talk the exact same **** about people in ANY of the affordable AMI bands, right?

Old 10-02-2021, 12:44 PM

515 posts, read 525,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
You guys know that people (allegedly) in market-rate units talk the exact same **** about people in ANY of the affordable AMI bands, right?
A crappy neighbor can fall under any AMI and even end up in a market rate apartment, but that's irrelevant to the topic here. We're discussing how this one person missed what kind of lottery she actually won and expected something completely different.

The building I live in has two AMIs 80% and 130% and I've found it almost impossible to distinguish which tenants are from the lottery and which are market rate. There's one family on my floor I suspect that they are also a lottery tenant and another I know for certain and only because they have a disability so it's obvious. I've interacted with both and both are pleasant. I've been here 6 months and it's been nothing like that tiktoker described. I also interact with all the tenants in my building and everyone including the fulltime super, resident manager, and maintenance are absolutely wonderful, if any of the tenants here suspect or know that I'm a lottery tenant they haven't treated me differently because of it.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:27 AM

72 posts, read 91,110 times
https://imgur.com/undefined
withdrawn my application
crazy

Old 10-03-2021, 12:58 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For over ten years now BdeB changed things so any lottery apartments that aren't rented can (and are mandated) to be turned over to city for renting to homeless. City kicks in more subsidies to cover rent these people obviously cannot pay.

Thus in theory any building with unclaimed lottery units can have homeless, transitional or whatever households placed.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/04/homele...r-nyc-program/

I know market rate households that have moved out of lottery buildings because of this madness. For lottery apartment households things are what they are. Unless win another lottery apartment in another building, and or otherwise can move house on their own, they're stuck living in a cross between projects and a shelter.

Which couldn't make deBlasio happier. The whole point of putting the homeless and section-8 people into these taxpayer-subsidized buildings is drive the market-rate tenants out of them. Looks like it's working.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:29 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Amazing how everyone psychically knows their neighbors' incomes and situations.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:37 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Well personally, I’m not trying to compete with Jeff Bezos and I really don’t care what he or others like him think about me moving into his building. It’s a lottery - same as winning the mega millions. Some people win and others don’t.

We just think that based on experience, the 60% ami group is not the same as 130 or 165 ami. The quality of people are actually very different for whatever reasons unbeknownst to me. Compare NYCHA with hunters point south living - the latter of which is 130% ami or higher. Hunters Point is very high end and the property is well taken care of while NYCHA is not.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:04 AM

17 posts, read 20,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
YUP! You and Stormgal hit the nail right on head. The lower the AMIs unfortunately means lower class people and if the building is not in a good neighborhood or at least an up and coming neighborhood then the luxury aspect will almost 100% be going out the window. This is nothing new. That person honestly just sounded inexperienced, she probably won a lottery somewhere in the middle of the Bronx and was expecting an upper Eastside type of luxury building because those are the ones mentioned every time lotteries are talked about.
It's hilarious that people think that lower income means lower class/ Some of the most classless people I've met in life are those that make gobs and gobs of money. Disgustingness transcends income and neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery