Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2021, 01:53 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times

Advertisements

So, I got called for one of these apartments. I was called for a viewing and later they asked me to sign off on documentation to send off to HPD, but I chose not to proceed. However, this review is for whomever is interested:

https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/1805

First of all, the process went by very smoothly. The people whom you will interact with are super friendly - from the management company to the doorman to the person who will show you the apartment. They will always communicate with you every single time you send an email. It's really amazing how friendly, responsive and organized they are.

I was shown three apartments - one bedroom, a studio and a three bedroom (the latter of which I do not qualify for, but I wanted to look at out of curiousity).

The one bedroom is pretty spacious (but nothing like buildings built in the 1990's, or Stuytown or the recent 1 Riverplace). I would say that it's spacious enough for two people and a pet (two cats or one large dog). The appliances are super modern - it seems like they went all out with these.

The one bedroom apartment that I was shown had a view to what appears to be projects (but I find they are actually Trump Village). Within those buildings, you can see a bit of Manhattan. The subway - I believe the Q train - runs right in front of the building, but you can't really hear the noise. It seems like they've done a good job with noise reduction. The apartments come furnished if you choose to keep their furniture, if not, they will remove the furniture and you can bring your own.

The studio is small, but not that small. What makes it look medium sized is the fact that it comes with a murphy bed, so you can pull it down or up if you want the extra space. I think this is a good idea on behalf of the developer - pretty smart!

I also asked to see the three bedroom, just out of curiosity (all two bedrooms were gone). OMG, if I tell you that the three bedroom was a dream, it's because it's true! If I qualified, I would absolutely have taken it.

First of all, the three bedroom was super huge. The views were spectacular - I mean ocean front views with balconies that you can open the glass doors and sit outside while watching the Atlantic ocean and the beach below. I saw a barge far away and it was so relaxing that I cannot put it into words. The balcony was large enough to actually put chairs and maybe a small table where you can sit and have a sip of wine and really relax. It is such a nice apartment - whoever wins that three bedroom actually wins the lottery. If someone has high blood pressure, trust me, sitting outside in that balcony will get that blood pressure back to normal!

Everyone in the building has access to an ocean facing balcony on a different floor. It's a common area - very large space- where you can eat, invite your friends or spend some quiet time alone. The person who showed me the apartments told me that you can even rent it out if you want to throw a party.

Lets see what else... oh, the building has its own assigned parking space - at $350 a month. There is also a gym in the building with weights, elliptical machines and cardio, but I did not ask how much that is, if it does cost anything.

Finally, as for the neighborhood - it is very eastern European - Russian, etc. They were speaking in either Russian or Polish, one of those languages whilst showing me the apartment. When I ended my tour and started to walk outside, an old lady came up to me and asked me if I spoke Russian as she needed help with something but I said that I do not. This experience gives me the impression that the area is an immigrant/ Eastern European one, if anyone cares about these things. (I'm not really a Brooklyn person, so I didn't know). But maybe for groceries or food, people may care.

Other than that, I quickly came back home and decided to reject the apartment because I didn't like the train ride back to where I work. It took me one hour and a half and I was asked to come into the office at least twice a week. But... had I been shown the ocean front one bedroom, I would've definitely had taken it.

For those of you who qualify for the three bedroom, omg take it. What a dream of an apartment that was!

Anyways, that is all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 02:17 PM

580 posts, read 728,567 times
Thanks for the review! This building and location looks super awesome. I would take a 1 bedroom as well if I was on housing connect back then and applied--IF the distance from everything wasn't so far.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:54 PM

412 posts, read 594,001 times
Thank you Stormgal for continuously posting useful information. We appreciate it!

Also, that's so interesting it's furnished.. never seen that before.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:59 PM

200 posts, read 219,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
Thank you Stormgal for continuously posting useful information. We appreciate it!

Also, that's so interesting it's furnished.. never seen that before.
I wouldn't think ALL apartments come furnished. Likely a model

Old 09-25-2021, 12:17 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
I wouldn't think ALL apartments come furnished. Likely a model
No, I asked if it was a model and they said yes but you can keep the furniture if you wish. Also, the models were the ones that I was assigned. I asked for an ocean front and that’s when they told me about the model.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:31 PM

200 posts, read 219,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
No, I asked if it was a model and they said yes but you can keep the furniture if you wish. Also, the models were the ones that I was assigned. I asked for an ocean front and that’s when they told me about the model.
What did you mean by "No" above? My statement was that only models came furnished (to tenant)

Old 09-26-2021, 07:23 PM

123 posts, read 96,697 times
The area is now Russian - as is most of the shopping. A little bit of Turkish as well. I grew up half a block away, it changed a lot over the years.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:12 PM

108 posts, read 103,517 times
Is it a good place to raise non Russian or Turkish children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
The area is now Russian - as is most of the shopping. A little bit of Turkish as well. I grew up half a block away, it changed a lot over the years.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 PM

585 posts, read 584,789 times
I didn't like the apartments or area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery