Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 04:00 PM

300 posts, read 211,903 times

Advertisements

I know this is a little off topic but I am in a situation where I need to find a new apartment soon. I have a few good log #'s but will have to move before I get called for any. I also want to stay in the 5 boroughs so I remain eligible. I'm looking on ideas of where to look and curious where everyone currently lives? Is your rent affordable and do you have any room mates? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 05:00 PM

954 posts, read 933,562 times
It’s a lottery there’s no guarantee you will be called

Old 09-28-2021, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 57,832 times
Crown Heights near the Prospect Heights neighborhood, with roommates. It’s one of those places I’ve never been to prior to moving here and I would have never thought of. It’s loaded with cool bars and restaurants. Although Prospect Heights is the nicer part, the area around Franklin is pretty hip. Gets rougher as you go east. Happy to have discovered this part of the woods.

There’s a lot to cover in terms of neighborhoods, and I’m not going to put here my biased, and narrow views of what I know and what I prefer. I will emphasize the often overlooked advice is to actually visit where you are going. Even better to stay a while, in the day and in the night to get a better feel for things. Take the commute from your workplace, take in the noises, take note of shady characters, observe the accumulation of filth and how quickly it disappears, notice the police presence or lack thereof, look at people, are most of them smiling as they walk, is there joy and laughter coming from the restaurants, is there bullet proof glass at the Chinese joint. Stuff like that. It’s especially important if you have options on where to go. Housing lotteries may take you to unknown places, if you have a choice, make it the right choice. If you don’t have a choice, well then, don’t sweat it! Just go and make the best of it.

This forum has been great to get a better gauge on what’s worthwhile, and what’s worth passing on. I’m happy to have found a community that’s engaged in honest discussion and helpful to each other.

I was bummed about 650 W 42nd street. Wish I could reroll my pathetic 30xxx log. But I’ll have to get past it. I have a great number for 1 Boerum, and hoping that lands. It’s not an ideal neighborhood for me, but it’s close enough. I love the area just south of Atlantic Ave by downtown. I hope I get it. And I hope everyone gets to the place that is ideal for them. If not ideal, then at least to a good place.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
It’s a lottery there’s no guarantee you will be called
Yes, I know that which is the reason for this post.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyny87 View Post
Crown Heights near the Prospect Heights neighborhood, with roommates. It’s one of those places I’ve never been to prior to moving here and I would have never thought of. It’s loaded with cool bars and restaurants. Although Prospect Heights is the nicer part, the area around Franklin is pretty hip. Gets rougher as you go east. Happy to have discovered this part of the woods.

There’s a lot to cover in terms of neighborhoods, and I’m not going to put here my biased, and narrow views of what I know and what I prefer. I will emphasize the often overlooked advice is to actually visit where you are going. Even better to stay a while, in the day and in the night to get a better feel for things. Take the commute from your workplace, take in the noises, take note of shady characters, observe the accumulation of filth and how quickly it disappears, notice the police presence or lack thereof, look at people, are most of them smiling as they walk, is there joy and laughter coming from the restaurants, is there bullet proof glass at the Chinese joint. Stuff like that. It’s especially important if you have options on where to go. Housing lotteries may take you to unknown places, if you have a choice, make it the right choice. If you don’t have a choice, well then, don’t sweat it! Just go and make the best of it.

This forum has been great to get a better gauge on what’s worthwhile, and what’s worth passing on. I’m happy to have found a community that’s engaged in honest discussion and helpful to each other.

I was bummed about 650 W 42nd street. Wish I could reroll my pathetic 30xxx log. But I’ll have to get past it. I have a great number for 1 Boerum, and hoping that lands. It’s not an ideal neighborhood for me, but it’s close enough. I love the area just south of Atlantic Ave by downtown. I hope I get it. And I hope everyone gets to the place that is ideal for them. If not ideal, then at least to a good place.
I’m open to a lot more areas now that we have work from home. May I ask what you used to find your apartment and room mates? I actually have a decent log for 650 42nd Street, all I can do is wait and see.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
Perhaps you may want to check this out, the rent stabilized listing on StreetEasy: https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/nyc/...0stabilized%22

Old 09-28-2021, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 57,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
I’m open to a lot more areas now that we have work from home. May I ask what you used to find your apartment and room mates? I actually have a decent log for 650 42nd Street, all I can do is wait and see.
We looked during Covid last December and had no shortage of options. It was actually pretty overwhelming. First world problem, too many options made it harder to choose. We ended up with an apartment off Street Easy.

Edit: good luck on 42nd street! Hope you get it. If you like living in the city, that place is a steal!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 13,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Perhaps you may want to check this out, the rent stabilized listing on StreetEasy: https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/nyc/...0stabilized%22
Wow, so much more good options than via the housing connect! Thanks for sharing someoneinqueens!

Old 09-28-2021, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 31,044 times
When I first moved to the city I used Roomi (roomiapp.com) to find a place. It's a site where people can post when they have one bedroom open in a multi-bedroom apartment, and the postings are by the existing tenants, not the landlord or a broker, so it's more personalized and you know who your roommates will be going in.

Also, if you think your chances are pretty good with the lottery so you'll be moving out of the new place soon, it might be worth looking into some kind of month-to-month lease? I don't know much about these but I do know they exist, so just wanted to mention it.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:03 PM

229 posts, read 241,153 times
I currently live in Long Island city by the waterfront in one of the TFC building. My lease is over and I'm ready for something new. Also, I don't want to pay over $2500 rent anymore. Starting October, I'll be renting out a room on a month - to month lease. I don't want to be stuck in a one year lease and I 'll wait to hear from 650 w 42 street or other lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery