Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 10:17 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,543,405 times

Advertisements

Nomad: Lucky duck! I have another where I have a reasonably good number but haven't been contacted yet and this one wouldn't be my first choice by far so i'm going to do like you said, see a unit and give myself more time to see what makes the most sense.

My number for 1407 is in the low 200s, there are only 7 1BRs I believe, so I'm honestly surprised to be contacted at all but we'll see how it goes.

I wish I could go this week but unfortunately it's too last minute for me. I'm not desperate to move and this place isn't that much better than where I am now and would come with a significant increase in rent (bc i'm already in rent stabilized in a lower income bracket from years ago) so if I don't get it, I'll keep trying for something better (in-unit laundry, more significantly closer to work than I am now etc), not a huge deal. If waiting till next week to view means it goes to someone else, so be it.

Hopefully I can view next week and I'll let you all know how it goes and what I decide to do.

Also, regarding people moving forward before you, I could be wrong, but my understanding is that as long as you submit docs/respond within the timeframe they set for you they still process applications in log # order rather than order received, so long as both people meet the deadlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 11:05 AM

580 posts, read 738,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Nomad: Lucky duck! I have another where I have a reasonably good number but haven't been contacted yet and this one wouldn't be my first choice by far so i'm going to do like you said, see a unit and give myself more time to see what makes the most sense.

My number for 1407 is in the low 200s, there are only 7 1BRs I believe, so I'm honestly surprised to be contacted at all but we'll see how it goes.

I wish I could go this week but unfortunately it's too last minute for me. I'm not desperate to move and this place isn't that much better than where I am now and would come with a significant increase in rent (bc i'm already in rent stabilized in a lower income bracket from years ago) so if I don't get it, I'll keep trying for something better (in-unit laundry, more significantly closer to work than I am now etc), not a huge deal. If waiting till next week to view means it goes to someone else, so be it.

Hopefully I can view next week and I'll let you all know how it goes and what I decide to do.

Also, regarding people moving forward before you, I could be wrong, but my understanding is that as long as you submit docs/respond within the timeframe they set for you they still process applications in log # order rather than order received, so long as both people meet the deadlines.
That's great. Hope it all works out and hope you find a great unit.

And yes, as long as you're within the timeframe and did what you were supposed to do then the apps are in log order. So if a unit is between 2 people and both people did everything right and made it to the end, then the person with the lower log number gets the first shot to decide if they want to accept or not.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:48 AM

I view a unit tomorrow! I'll update you all as to my thoughts on the neighborhood and the building/units.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I view a unit tomorrow! I'll update you all as to my thoughts on the neighborhood and the building/units.
Exciting news! Can't wait.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:43 PM

I viewed a 1br unit this afternoon. I will not be moving forward with this lottery. I was told this was the only 1br available and that all else that was left was 1 2br. For $1900 you can do better, lottery or otherwise.

Pros: The unit was on the top floor so it was quiet (both minimal street noise and none from above). Bedroom closet is a decent size.

Cons: the building is a walk up which I hadn't realized (would be a downgrade for me). The building in general is not very nice inside, the stairwells are just concrete, all white walls, very narrow. The halls are also all white, narrow, ugly and very industrial+ unwelcoming, honestly, kind of depressing. The apartment was tiny. The living room was about 1/2 the size of mine now and the kitchen is not a separate area at all, its literally appliances in a line along one of the living room walls, absolutely zero counter space. There wouldn't be room for to add a portable island to the "kitchen" or more than a 2 seater table and a love seat + very small coffee table in the living room. The view out the living room was average, down to the street and the buildings across the way were shorter to not awful but nothing special. The bathroom closet as the water heater so there isn't much space in there. The bedroom was small and worse, not square so fitting furniture in there would be a nightmare. You could also tell the construction was rushed/sloppy. The kitchen cabinets had wall paint on the sides.

Worst of all, not only was there NOT a patio/balcony as is listed in housing connect, the balcony for the next door apartment continues past the bedroom window of the unit I viewed. So literally your next door neighbors could be hanging out on their "private" balcony right outside your bedroom , terrible building design.

So it's a big no from me. I can honestly understand why they're having trouble filling the units. I hope this is the perfect place for someone and can be a blessing but I'll keep looking.

Let me know if anyone has other questions.

Last edited by linamonroll; 11-09-2021 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2021, 07:53 PM

Great thanks for your feedback on it. Now you were able to confirm you absolutely don’t want it lol. Hope you find something you want soon.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
Great thanks for your feedback on it. Now you were able to confirm you absolutely don’t want it lol. Hope you find something you want soon.
Thanks! It was certainly disappointing but obviously this wasn’t the right fit. At least I know there are hundreds of others and they’ll find someone else who will hopefully love the place. Good luck on your search too!

Old 11-12-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks! It was certainly disappointing but obviously this wasn’t the right fit. At least I know there are hundreds of others and they’ll find someone else who will hopefully love the place. Good luck on your search too!
Thanks! Stay tuned I’ll keep you and the other folks updated on what I end up choosing.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:55 AM

36 posts, read 15,581 times
Hi. Has anyone viewed or accepted an apartment in this unit? Any details?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery