Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 09:44 AM

66 posts, read 79,532 times

Advertisements

Does any know what the consequences for breaking a housing lottery lease are? (e.g., losing your security deposit, paying 1-2 months' rent to get out of the lease, etc.)

I've been fortunate to get low log numbers for 3 buildings, two of which I've already submitted documents for. I have a general order of preference for these units, but of course won't know for sure until I tour the units in person.

Unfortunately, it looks like the tours won't be scheduled for the same time, so I may be in a position where I'll need to break a lease.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 09:57 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,577,379 times
It's tricky to time these things.

So you're not talking about breaking your current lease; you mean you might have to break a lease if you sign up for one building and then get an offer from a building you prefer?

Old 10-15-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It's tricky to time these things.

So you're not talking about breaking your current lease; you mean you might have to break a lease if you sign up for one building and then get an offer from a building you prefer?
Exactly! I'm talking about breaking a lease for one lottery unit for another lottery unit I prefer more. I have low log #s for 3 places total (and have already submitted documents for 2/3). I'd love to view all 3 at the same time and make an informed decision, but I don't think timing will work out. Most likely, I'll need to sign a lease for one, and potentially break it 2-4 weeks later.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:28 AM

580 posts, read 729,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinelle View Post
Exactly! I'm talking about breaking a lease for one lottery unit for another lottery unit I prefer more. I have low log #s for 3 places total (and have already submitted documents for 2/3). I'd love to view all 3 at the same time and make an informed decision, but I don't think timing will work out. Most likely, I'll need to sign a lease for one, and potentially break it 2-4 weeks later.
I'm in a similar situation Robinelle. Been getting lots of low logs and document requests, and its hard to tell if I should just wait around or accept something then break to accept another. Breaking leases sounds bothersome so hoping to hear thoughts from others.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
It seems to be handled on a building-by-building basis. In normal times, it was so easy to fill these spots that they mostly didn't care. Lately we've been hearing more reports of management being obnoxious about it and asking for a month or two's rent.

I would still expect them to care less before you even move in, but there's no standard rule.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
I'm in a similar situation Robinelle. Been getting lots of low logs and document requests, and its hard to tell if I should just wait around or accept something then break to accept another. Breaking leases sounds bothersome so hoping to hear thoughts from others.
Wow - congrats on the low log #s! If you don't mind me asking, which buildings are you deciding between? And yep, breaking a lease sounds bothersome, but may be worth it in the long term if you plan on staying in the rent-stabilized lottery apt for a while

Old 10-15-2021, 11:19 AM

580 posts, read 729,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinelle View Post
Wow - congrats on the low log #s! If you don't mind me asking, which buildings are you deciding between? And yep, breaking a lease sounds bothersome, but may be worth it in the long term if you plan on staying in the rent-stabilized lottery apt for a while
Right now looking at 5 Pointz, 1407 Flatbush [is somewhat interesting], 5203 Center Blvd, and still waiting for Two Blue Slip log numbers to release (hopefully I get a low log). And a lot of other low logs that I already withdrew from that I received requests from (like 104 Linden, 143 Woodbine, 460 Seneca being recent ones). Getting documentation requests like every other day now. I'm considering submitting documentation for some of these just to check out the units even if I won't follow through.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Right now looking at 5 Pointz, 1407 Flatbush [is somewhat interesting], 5203 Center Blvd, and still waiting for Two Blue Slip log numbers to release (hopefully I get a low log). And a lot of other low logs that I already withdrew from that I received requests from (like 104 Linden, 143 Woodbine, 460 Seneca being recent ones). Getting documentation requests like every other day now. I'm considering submitting documentation for some of these just to check out the units even if I won't follow through.
Sounds like out situations are pretty similar! Also have been getting documentation requests from places I'm not interested in and subsequently withdrawing. I'm waiting on Two Blue Slip too, though that one may be a tad out of my comfortable price range lol. Good luck to the both of us!

Old 10-15-2021, 12:54 PM

108 posts, read 103,686 times
Why even apply to these places if you're so on the fence?

Quote:

Old 10-15-2021, 01:17 PM

603 posts, read 600,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingelz83 View Post
Why even apply to these places if you're so on the fence?
Free to apply and you never know. Things can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: