Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 07:14 PM

248 posts, read 401,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco5055 View Post
I don't know why some people seem to think we are trying to be "bad" people by doing some equivalent of billionaires not paying taxes or something else regarding our fair share etc.
Nobody thinks you're a bad person, but you have to understand that you didn't garner a lot of goodwill by coming onto a forum where people who cannot afford decent housing are pinning their hopes and dreams on a literal lottery and complaining about how your (high, not lower middle class) income means you can only afford a meager $4000/month in rent.

That's why some of us, myself included, are less than warm and welcoming. It's more about your tonedeafness than what kind of person you are.

That said, you might find some subreddits like r/nyc useful for planning a move and learning about what you will encounter here in the housing market and in the city in general.

I am certain that you will have no trouble finding quality housing within your budget when you do move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 08:47 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,490 times
Quote:
I don't know why some people seem to think we are trying to be "bad" people by doing some equivalent of billionaires not paying taxes or something else regarding our fair share etc.
I don't think you're a bad person but you might want to consider what it sounds like to a group of people who already have to compete with millionaires and billionaires for decent living conditions to also now seemingly have to compete with people in the upper middle class who want a way to screw them out of an opportunity as well.

How much are they just supposed to grin and bear it?

Old 11-02-2021, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 10,733 times
Well I'm sorry but if it's rather unwelcome to discuss housing lotteries if one isn't low-income, shouldn't there be some kind of notice specifying that's the focus? I found my way here because city data is the only website a google search seemed to suggest has a specific Housing Lottery subforum, so seemed to be the best bet to get the answers I need.

If you read my original posts, I never explicitly complained about how hard it was to find the (admittingly superfluous and not a necessity) options I wanted in an apartment, I just asked if there was a way to see closed lotteries so I could see if I qualify.

When I go to facebook groups of hobbies I'm into, if someone asks for recommendations in a certain price range no one comments "this is only for us who can afford the minimum, get your rich butt out of here", assuming the guy doesn't claim the lesser products are not "real" etc.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:18 AM

164 posts, read 193,250 times
OP, you might have better results on specific marketing sites rather than the Housing Connect one - ResideNYC has postings for projects that have closed, and many seem to be middle income (you may be able to filter this info to only bring up results that apply to your bracket)). I think I heard that Reside may also contact people for projects they qualify for but did not apply to. It might be suitable for you since you’re trying to cast a wide net.

In general, I think the answer to your original question is: there is no easy way to search for closed projects on Housing Connect’ - you’d have to Google the project/development name, and maybe the direct link to posting will come up in the results. You can cross reference the thread history here as often the titles will have adequate information.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:52 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Well I'm sorry but if it's rather unwelcome to discuss housing lotteries if one isn't low-income, shouldn't there be some kind of notice specifying that's the focus? I found my way here because city data is the only website a google search seemed to suggest has a specific Housing Lottery subforum, so seemed to be the best bet to get the answers I need.

If you read my original posts, I never explicitly complained about how hard it was to find the (admittingly superfluous and not a necessity) options I wanted in an apartment, I just asked if there was a way to see closed lotteries so I could see if I qualify.

When I go to facebook groups of hobbies I'm into, if someone asks for recommendations in a certain price range no one comments "this is only for us who can afford the minimum, get your rich butt out of here", assuming the guy doesn't claim the lesser products are not "real" etc.
You're going to need some thick skin to live here. If you can't take the good and the bad comments and you are that person that needs to justify everything you are going to have one of hell of a life here.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:43 PM

79 posts, read 66,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Nobody thinks you're a bad person, but you have to understand that you didn't garner a lot of goodwill by coming onto a forum where people who cannot afford decent housing are pinning their hopes and dreams on a literal lottery and complaining about how your (high, not lower middle class) income means you can only afford a meager $4000/month in rent.

That's why some of us, myself included, are less than warm and welcoming. It's more about your tonedeafness than what kind of person you are.

That said, you might find some subreddits like r/nyc useful for planning a move and learning about what you will encounter here in the housing market and in the city in general.

I am certain that you will have no trouble finding quality housing within your budget when you do move.

This.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:14 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are planning on making the move to NYC next September, after our current lease is up.

is there a way to search all (open and closed) opportunities, just so we know if it's possible in the future to find a place on the Housing Connect website?

In addition, seeing how Stuytown is a little different than Housing connect, aka it's not just predominantly low-income housing,

Thanks!
Anyone may enter a lottery. Good luck with it, sincerely. Any expectation of getting into a lottery unit in less than one year is very high. It is a hope not a plan. Expect lots of paperwork if you get on a waitlist or are selected.

Why not email Housing Connect with your question about lotteries that have concluded. There is an email address or two if you hunt for it. Try FAQs.

Suggest you try StreetEasy instead to look for NYC and NJ housing. There are options to search for income restricted housing for purchases, and perhaps rentals too (not lotteries). Some of these have higher limits than many might assume. I have seen income limits for a two person household well beyond $170 K combined, in Manhattan.

There is a lot to learn about NYC housing and these lotteries, and the exceptional situations such as StuyTown and Penn South.

There are more than a few Housing Connect lotteries for buildings with many Market Rate, even majority market rate units. In addition many lotteries have units for 100% AMI, and higher. So, any assertions that Housing Connect is predominately low-income should be rethought. I have seen listings for 250% AMI. AMI is revised by HUD each year in April (?). BTW, “low income” and other income levels have HUD definitions.

StuyTown is a unique situation due to legacy factors that would require many words to illustrate. It is categorically different from the majority Housing Connect website lotteries. (See, Charles Bagli, “Other People’s Money” for history but not most recent and very relevant changes.)

Old 12-16-2021, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 367 times
So you don’t even live in NY but you’re already trying to take away affordable housing options from people who were actually born and raised here or have been here for many years? And you make $170k combined so you can ACTUALLY afford a luxury apartment? Are you serious?

Old 12-16-2021, 08:56 AM

60 posts, read 52,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jp3 View Post
So you don’t even live in NY but you’re already trying to take away affordable housing options from people who were actually born and raised here or have been here for many years? And you make $170k combined so you can ACTUALLY afford a luxury apartment? Are you serious?
oof.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:02 AM

225 posts, read 304,566 times
Quote:

You come off as the type of person who goes to food pantries asking for recommendations on discounts at Michelin Star restaurants, then gets confused about the less than warm welcome. The tone deafness is galling.

Last edited by Vanta B; 12-18-2021 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery