Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 PM

300 posts, read 213,460 times

Advertisements

I was recently asked to submit documents and my application has been "Under Review" for about 2 weeks. My dilemma is I work from home and really want to leave my small apartment. Should I just start looking on Street Easy for a new apartment? I'm afraid that if I win the apartment it will be hard to break the new lease and I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 11:58 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
I was recently asked to submit documents and my application has been "Under Review" for about 2 weeks. My dilemma is I work from home and really want to leave my small apartment. Should I just start looking on Street Easy for a new apartment? I'm afraid that if I win the apartment it will be hard to break the new lease and I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any advice!
I have the same dilemma and have decided to be patient. Make for yourself a deadline that by X date, if you don't get called, then you'll look for market rate. I found many beautiful and large apartments in Jersey City with views to Manhattan and close to Path, and I'm always tempted to apply, so I totally get you!

By the way, two weeks is nothing. If you got called to submit documents, it's only a matter of time before they contact you again with an update to submit more information or for HPD.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:24 AM

149 posts, read 193,636 times
It depends on several factors, how fast your application would move forward. 130% and low log number probably gets there in no time. My process took 11 month I believe. So the lottery option is not set in stone until you sign the lease, in my opinion.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:59 AM

164 posts, read 193,823 times
Do you have a hard ‘out’ date, or even a preferred one if that’s self-imposed? Two weeks was the standard ‘evaluation’ time for a lottery I sent docs to, and I don’t know if my paperwork will be seen before the end of the year. (My log number was low 500s). The tentative timeline was about 4 months from outreach to move-in. However it does not factor appeals, which can add weeks to the process. Even if your docs are perfect, if people ahead of you are doing several rounds of appeals, your application may be stuck in limbo until those are settled. Were you given a schedule or estimated timetable?

People in the higher AMIs (130+) usually have better odds as they are more likely to shop around.

One option could be to look into short term leases, like on leasebreak.com. Some units have options to extend, too. Or conversely, use leasebreak to get someone to take over yours if you have to leave.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:51 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,650,859 times
By looking for an apartment on Street Easy or whatever now you control your living situation. Sorry to say, but by waiting and hoping you win a lease on lottery unit you control nothing. Unless someone in authority has told you there is a strong likelihood you will win a lottery unit by such and such a date then you are taking a chance with where you are going to be living when your lease expires.

It is very likely, that lotteries approve many more people than there are units so they don’t get caught short when people turn an offer down. Even with the lowest lottery number there can be who are in a preferred class who get to go ahead of the lowest log#.

(Also, has construction been finished on this building? Even if it is, there can be reasons why it’s not open for residents yet.)

You had the option now to try to negotiate a new short lease where you are with an option to renew, or do likewise with a new place.

I wish you the best. I hope you get contacted later today to discuss a move in date in a new lottery apt.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:45 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,738,515 times
If you don't have a hard lease renewal date and your health and safety aren't being seriously jeopardized where you live, I'd hang in and wait. If either of those conditions aren't true, then I would go ahead and start looking.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:03 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
OP, which income bracket are you in? If you're in a lower bracket, such as the 40%, 60%, 80%, and even 100%, the lottery apartments are a great deal.

If you are in one of these brackets, I would encourage you to hang in there and wait, assuming you like the building and the location. Once they ask you for documents, they are processing you.

If you are in the 130% or 165% brackets, the lottery apartments will be closer to market rate. So if you decide to look at the open market, you will find places that you can afford. But the advantage of the lottery apartment is that you would be rent-stabilized, and your future increases would be limited by law.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 11-18-2021 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 02:50 PM

164 posts, read 193,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
If you don't have a hard lease renewal date and your health and safety aren't being seriously jeopardized where you live, I'd hang in and wait. If either of those conditions aren't true, then I would go ahead and start looking.
I agree. OP you have the best information on whether you can stand staying at your current place and for how long. Lottery units are not reliable for urgent needs, and until you have a lease in hand, it’s hard to anticipate when you will be able to move in. Several people turn down lottery units because they are unsuitable for their needs, even the ones that looked really attractive on paper.

There are short term lease options you can look into if you’d like to get out ASAP but want to be able to leave without a huge penalty. Also - if you haven’t already, check out the threads for the specific lottery you are waiting on - you’ll likely get more insight into the turnaround from others’ info!

Old 11-18-2021, 06:14 PM

62 posts, read 77,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
What kind of documents did you submit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: