Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 AM

26 posts, read 20,744 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am asking for my friend who is new to the process. She was asked to submit paperwork and she has submitted what has been required. But the agent she was speaking to said she want see the apartment until she says yes to the unit.

I told her this is strange because I've submitted paperwork for different units and each has asked me to see the units before continuing. A friend of ours in her experience said she didn't see the unit until her application was approved.

I'm here to ask if anyone has had a similar experience for this building? Has anyone else been reached out for this building? I figured this forum may help my friend get the answers she needs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 01:17 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
There could be legitimate circumstances that prevent a unit from being shown. It’s not vacant yet. It’s being repaired.

On the other hand, housing discrimination does occur. For example, not showing the unit or similar unit persons of a particular race while showing a unit to other people. Perhaps there has been some miscommunication or misunderstanding. Your friend might contact a supervisor and ask to be shown a unit.

Avoid rushing to a conclusion of discrimination. But, the government has people to help with that.

Saying ‘yes’ to the apartment over the phone, and signing a document with a deposit are different things. They might be trying to ‘encourage’ or ‘discourage’ the applicant with pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery