Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 04:18 PM

44 posts, read 47,153 times

Advertisements

I was emailed and asked to submit supporting income documents. I receive a message back stating “ Based on the address on your documents, your application is classified as low priority.”

Anyone know what this means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 04:47 PM

248 posts, read 402,235 times
Do you live in New York City?

If not, that's why.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:24 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
It's weird that they would ask you to submit documents after seeing that you're not within the five boroughs, if indeed if that's the case. Usually they would just skip you until all NYC people are processed.

Could it be that your address is within NYC but your documents are from far away, suggesting that your NYC address is fake?

Old 12-02-2021, 06:35 PM

151 posts, read 196,081 times
Normally it’s because you’re not a nyc resident. Did you use a nyc address when you submitted your application, then moved? Or perhaps you had a different preference (nyc employee, etc), but based off what you submitted that has changed? This recently happened to my sister. She used my address as she lived with me shortly during the beginning of Covid, which also gave her cb preference for a specific building. By time they reached out to her to submit docs, she moved out, and moved to westchester county. She submitted her lease and was immediately waitlisted because of that.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:46 PM

Yes, I’ve lived in NYC going on 6 years now with a lease in Brooklyn for over 2 years.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Do you live in New York City?

If not, that's why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It's weird that they would ask you to submit documents after seeing that you're not within the five boroughs, if indeed if that's the case. Usually they would just skip you until all NYC people are processed.

Could it be that your address is within NYC but your documents are from far away, suggesting that your NYC address is fake?
The only thing I can think of is that my drivers license is still from Florida and my tax returns also have that same address simply because I prefer important information get sent to my family’s home since I’m constantly moving apartments every couple years here in NYC but I have leases the entire time I’ve lived in NYC. I’m shocked that this would count against me.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:05 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
You should appeal.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You should appeal.
I just resubmitted my lease, phone and electricity bills all with my current address here in NYC. I haven’t gotten the denial letter or the opportunity to appeal just yet. She never specified what documentation was needed or what my options are. It’s very frustrating because of the lack of clear communication. I can see why someone could easily miss there chance or even give up.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:44 PM

47 posts, read 84,691 times
@bleachshots -- you mentioned that your tax returns have the Florida address on them. Did you file income-tax as a NY resident or a FL resident? Where you filed might also be a factor, though I am not an accountant.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFlute View Post
@bleachshots -- you mentioned that your tax returns have the Florida address on them. Did you file income-tax as a NY resident or a FL resident? Where you filed might also be a factor, though I am not an accountant.
Since I have everything assigned to my families address in Florida I did not file as an NY resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: