Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:56 PM

145 posts, read 149,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
What's your subsidized rent, and why are you trying to lower it even more? You should be happy that you are paying below-market, while other people pay market. Stair climbing is good exercise, and that might lower your healthcare expenses, which productive people are presumably paying as well as your housing.
Lol this comment is something. What I pay for rent shouldn’t matter. And who are these “productive people” that are paying my healthcare expenses? I guess you're assuming because I’m rent stabilized that I couldn’t possibly have a good paying job who provides me with healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 05:41 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,745,180 times
”you're assuming because I’m rent stabilized that I couldn’t possibly have a good paying job who provides me with healthcare”

Loooooottta haters on this board who are mad they're paying market rent (or dream of being slumlords). There's no income limitation on RS apartments. Even for a lottery apartment, I bet a 165% AMI tenant is earning more than many of those yelling about unproductive RS tenants.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thank you!

Old 01-11-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I see the landlord wannabes are chiming in...

File the form at the link BugsyPal gave. You won't get any official reduction until DHCR serves it on the landlord, so you might as well start the process.
Thanks! I sent it off yesterday.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
In the OP’s case, are both elevators out of service?
Yes, both are out of service.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:08 PM

79 posts, read 77,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
What's your subsidized rent, and why are you trying to lower it even more? You should be happy that you are paying below-market, while other people pay market. Stair climbing is good exercise, and that might lower your healthcare expenses, which productive people are presumably paying as well as your housing.
This comment ticked me off. What are you talking about. I don’t care who is responsible for the rent, it’s getting paid and if there is an elevator in that building it should be in working order. If the elevator is not working and is going to take an extended amount of time to repair, the tenants can file with DHCR to request a rent reduction. This happened to my mom 10 years ago.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:27 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
Yes, both are out of service.
This is a very dangerous situation. You need to light a fire under the landlord. Let's say a resident needed emergency assistance? How are EMTs supposed to get up there in a hurry?

If you find you're not making progress on your own with the methods suggested by previous posters, contact your city councilperson, your state assembly person (in Albany, but probably has a local office) and your New York state senator (also in Albany with a local NYC office). Also get your neighbors to write/call/email these people. This is why you elected them.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery