Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 10:29 AM

172 posts, read 245,684 times

Advertisements

When you are living with someone & are not on the lease, I know if you get a request for documentation for a lottery, they require a notarized letter from the person on the lease stating that you live there too. But do they require a copy of the lease itself? And if so are they looking for anything specific or is it just too see if it’s a valid lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 11:01 AM

151 posts, read 196,704 times
Yes they do. My sister lives with me and she’s been contacted for at least 4 lotteries over the last year and everytime I have to get a notarized letter and she has to show my lease. Of course she’s not on it, but i think it’s just to make sure me as the person notarizing the letter match as the head of household on the lease.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:56 PM

347 posts, read 358,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlk23 View Post
Yes they do. My sister lives with me and she’s been contacted for at least 4 lotteries over the last year and everytime I have to get a notarized letter and she has to show my lease. Of course she’s not on it, but i think it’s just to make sure me as the person notarizing the letter match as the head of household on the lease.
Geez. And she didn't get any of the 4? How is this possible? How does 1 person get low enough numbers to be contacted 4 times.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:31 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,659,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
Geez. And she didn't get any of the 4? How is this possible? How does 1 person get low enough numbers to be contacted 4 times.
The companies contact many more applicants than there are units because they want to be sure to fill the units. Evidently, many people who get contacted don’t qualify somehow, or don’t respond, or say NO THANKS, and so on.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:03 PM

172 posts, read 245,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlk23 View Post
Okay, got it. So it’s not like they are going to read the lease in depth or anything like that, it’s just to check if it’s the same person listed on the letter. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:06 PM

I don’t think so. And No issue came back in regards to the lease or my notarized letter. After viewing the apartments she just turned them down either for location or size.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:30 PM

70 posts, read 146,985 times
Out of curiosity, does the address on your ID (such as a drivers license) need to match the address you currently live at?

Old 02-03-2022, 04:05 PM

I don’t think so, however you may have to explain why it doesn’t match. I’m in a lottery apartment i won 5 yrs ago & When i was going through the process my address on my taxes and pay stubs didn’t match my nyc address . Still a NY address, but not nyc and i had to explain why. And i told them the truth, to avoid nyc taxes (my grandmother has a westchester county address).

Old 02-03-2022, 04:32 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,659,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am0916 View Post
Out of curiosity, does the address on your ID (such as a drivers license) need to match the address you currently live at?
You can apply for the NYC ID with your present address, if you live in NYC. I don’t know how long it might take.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
You can apply for the NYC ID with your present address, if you live in NYC. I don’t know how long it might take.
Oh yes. Thats a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery