Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2022, 09:06 AM

178 posts, read 242,190 times

Advertisements

Hello all... I was recently approved by HPD for a project in queens that is within the 100% AMI range for my family of 3.

The building is not move-in ready just yet but supposedly will be within the next month or so and just this week (my agent) called to tell me about my final approval and that the building has started calling people in to view apartments. That she wouldn't be sure till she receives the appointment for viewing notice whether I would be viewing "my would-be unit" or a model unit but that it can take a few weeks since they just started and are only doing viewings twice a week for a couple hours.

As I try to not go crazy with nerves of this final step and pray that I do in fact get a call and that they don't "run out of units" before them reaching my log number, as I have read happen on other threads, I read about looking at the TIC package in "my documents" section of housing connect. I reluctantly go check out mine and do see a TIC package.. so i download it to view and notice there is a "apartment number" entered in the first two pages of that long document. Would this be the unit I get? Or is it just a place holder they kinda enter when they submitted that package for review? I am curious/excited if it means that there is a possibility that there is a unit assigned to me and that once I see it and accept than this would be mine? Does anyone know? I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times
Based on my experience, when my TIC was submitted for HPD approval, the marketing agent included the unit number assigned to me in the TIC. After my TIC was approved I got reassigned to a different unit (the unit that I actually wanted but it wasn't available when my TIC was submitted but then suddenly became available because a lottery winner who had lower log turned it down) so the marketing agent had to draft my TIC again with the new assigned unit to be submitted to HPD but only for their information because basically I was approved already.

So the unit number that was assigned in your TIC is most likely "your would-be unit" - Congratulations!!!

Old 02-13-2022, 09:40 AM

@someoneinqueens Omg thank you so much and thank you for sharing! I mean it makes sense that they "assign" units to those applications I guess to ensure all units are accounted for and attached to potential tenants but my agent didn't tell me that lol She is so nice and honestly was always very cautious to never give me false hope until this week when for the first time she told me not to worry, that this is the finish line and that my log number is a good one and with CB preference I should be fine. That was the most calming and hopeful statement she has made in months lol. I am just so scared to get my hopes up that I am skeptical of everything. The agent did say that she didn't know if I would be viewing a model or "my unit" but I just thought that meant that by the time they told me to go view they would have come up with a potential unit for my family, not that one has already been designated for me! I am so happy and hopeful, thanks again!

Old 02-13-2022, 09:42 AM

70 posts, read 91,536 times
I heard that it varies because sometimes they set aside apartments for just viewing. For example my sister won a lottery and the apartment she seen was not the apartment she occupied. I guess every project has they own system. Where you able to review the TIC packet before your approval or only after?

Old 02-13-2022, 09:50 AM

Thanks @acave123 , that makes sense as well! That all projects are different. I honestly didn't see the TIC before approval because I didn't know what that was lol or even where to look. I saw one of the threads on this forum where someone told a person to check the TIC for an answer to their question (i think about preferences and whether it was noted or not on the application) so I got curious and did some site navigating this morning. So I just now saw the package for the first time. I see the unit/ apartment number there listed multiple times. This building only has 7 apartments for this bedroom size so what @someoneinqueens said sounds plausible since it would make sense for such limited units to be assigned when submitted to HPD for review. Like lets say I go see a model unit (which the agent told me might be the case) if its not the one listed on my document than clearly i'm not viewing the one that will be mine... but its not like there are a ton (and all the units are the same layout for this bedroom size). I'll stay hopeful but also cautious because I really am so scared to even be excited lol. This process is so anxiety ridden lol.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:54 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times
Sometimes you viewed the units that are not the actual unit that you will be assigned due to various reasons (perhaps your unit is not ready yet?) But for the assigned unit (number) in your TIC, that is most likely the unit that is assigned for you for real, you just have to wait if it's not ready to occupy yet.

In my case, I viewed the unit that was assigned to me for real because it was ready for immediate occupancy. The unit I viewed was the unit assigned in my TIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acave123 View Post
I heard that it varies because sometimes they set aside apartments for just viewing. For example my sister won a lottery and the apartment she seen was not the apartment she occupied. I guess every project has they own system. Where you able to review the TIC packet before your approval or only after?

Old 02-13-2022, 02:22 PM

Thank you both for your input! I guess we will see, meantime i'll keep my fingers crossed that i do in fact have a unit assigned to me

Old 02-14-2022, 05:46 AM

49 posts, read 42,063 times
I was assigned a unit different than what was listed on my TIC. It was a completely different layout than what I was expecting, but the same unit size. I am happier with it though!

Old 02-14-2022, 07:32 AM

Thanks for sharing @LlamaDelRey! I know that for my building all the 1 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, and 3 bedrooms have the same layout (i think only the studios might vary), so really I don't mind if the unit written on the TIC is the one I get or not, I am just glad there is a unit "seemingly" set aside for us at all lol. Because to come this far and not get a place would be heartbreaking lol. Thank you all for your input, it's calming to just hear others stories during this process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: