Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2022, 02:50 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,417,453 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how close you have to live to a new building to be considered a “community board resident”. For example if I live in East Flatbush would I be considered a community member of a building I applied to that’s located in downtown Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 02:52 PM

86 posts, read 91,520 times
Google community board map, it should show the community board numbers, then you can see which community board you're in.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:14 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,681,693 times
You can look up the Community Board for a Borough and and Address at the link below.

As for lottery buildings keep in mind that not every lottery uses Community Board preference. Some lotteries have very complete info in their promotions and say what Community Board has a preference. Others just say there is preference but don’t say which one, in that case, the applicant has to look up the address of the building for its Community Board.

Having a CB preference puts your log# ahead of lower log numbers, but only until the percentage of units for CB presence is filled.

Good luck and good patience.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/cau/commun...ty-boards.page

Old 02-16-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Does anyone know how close you have to live to a new building to be considered a “community board resident”. For example if I live in East Flatbush would I be considered a community member of a building I applied to that’s located in downtown Brooklyn?
Based on this map. My guess is Downtown Brooklyn and East Flatbush are not in the same Community Board.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/brooklyncb13/about/maps.page

Old 02-16-2022, 05:56 PM

79 posts, read 77,515 times
Yes downtown and east Flatbush are not in the same community board.
You can either search by address with the link posted above or if you want a general Idea based on neighborhood. Depending on how well you know Brooklyn.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/cau/commun...yn-boards.page

Just FYI- high ami postings (all 130%+) generally do not have CB preference. However, mixed ami does.

Good luck

Old 02-16-2022, 06:48 PM
PVW

287 posts, read 165,739 times
Downtown Brooklyn and East Flatbush are nowhere near each other, much less to be in the same community board. Community Board 17 covers East Flatbush.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/cau/commun...yn-boards.page

Looking at the web page, Downtown Brooklyn is likely to be in community board 2.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:10 PM
PVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
You would actually have to live within the boundaries of the community board's district.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
You would actually have to live within the boundaries of the community board's district.
Sorry to put too fine a point on it, but a person could live across the street from the building and be in a different Community Board. Or, you could live far away from the building but still be within the CB.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:21 AM
PVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Sorry to put too fine a point on it, but a person could live across the street from the building and be in a different Community Board. Or, you could live far away from the building but still be within the CB.
Yes, the points you raise are important, but Community Board 17 doesn't border Downtown Brooklyn.

https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/...hdistricts.htm

So providing the link for findingcommunity boards (as you already did) is useful for those who don't know what district they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery