Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2022, 08:36 AM

21 posts, read 22,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahavcara View Post
Totally agree! And also it's def okay before signing to have whatever issue you see fixed. Don't be afraid to speak up. Looks like there is a lot of construction going on. Is there a building chat or FB group. Could be a good source to have for people living there.

One huge wonder is how are all the one bedrooms gone? I was log number three and told that. My stubborn self is still asking when I get there lol
There are bulletin boards on the building link app that are pretty active
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 08:48 AM

53 posts, read 50,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
FB groups would be very cool to start for this building. Gets a sense of community going
There is one set up already for the tenant. They share content just like here.

I am grateful for the view, the area, and the opportunity these programs have given me. However, It doesn't help to think they're doing you a favor; these developers' contracts are receiving millions, yearly. Don't think for a second they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

I don't think us asking for reasonable repairs is a sign of us being ungrateful.

I don't think you will understand until it's so cold and you have no heat in your bedroom or living room (remember the perks of large windows are you feel everything at night.) Or you are trying to take a shower, and there is no hot water. Then, you have nobody to resolve the issue.

It's nice to be excited about something and put things into perspective. By the way in 5 - 7 years, with the rent guideline increase, it will be the market rate price ($3000-3700 for Studio/one bedroom)

Old 10-06-2022, 08:58 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenouveau View Post
There is one set up already for the tenant. They share content just like here.

I am grateful for the view, the area, and the opportunity these programs have given me. However, It doesn't help to think they're doing you a favor; these developers' contracts are receiving millions, yearly. Don't think for a second they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

I don't think us asking for reasonable repairs is a sign of us being ungrateful.

I don't think you will understand until it's so cold and you have no heat in your bedroom or living room (remember the perks of large windows are you feel everything at night.) Or you are trying to take a shower, and there is no hot water. Then, you have nobody to resolve the issue.

It's nice to be excited about something and put things into perspective. By the way in 5 - 7 years, with the rent guideline increase, it will be the market rate price ($3000-3700 for Studio/one bedroom)
"I don't think us asking for reasonable repairs is a sign of us being ungrateful."

Exactly.

I remember I moved into a very new market rate building (I had roomies at the time) they hadn't finished things, construction dirt everywhere. I complained and asked that the space at least be cleaned before I moved in. Because it was not move-in ready at all.

You are paying rent you deserve to move into a space that is move in ready & clean. It's not being negative its standing up for yourself. If something isn't right say something. If something was broken when you moved in let them know. These are things people should be doing when they move into any new apartment. Lottery or not

'by the way in 5 - 7 years, with the rent guideline increase'

I've been saying this especially with the 130AMI units and people always say I'm being negative but I'm being realistic. The fact that they are rent stabilized is not a wow factor for me. If they were rent controlled that would be something to really get hyped about.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:07 AM

29 posts, read 27,933 times
Are there existing issues with heating in the building? Apologies, just trying to understand the full scope of what the exact issues are that a few of you are describing.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:33 AM

53 posts, read 50,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
"I don't think us asking for reasonable repairs is a sign of us being ungrateful."

Exactly.

I remember I moved into a very new market rate building (I had roomies at the time) they hadn't finished things, construction dirt everywhere. I complained and asked that the space at least be cleaned before I moved in. Because it was not move-in ready at all.

You are paying rent you deserve to move into a space that is move in ready & clean. It's not being negative its standing up for yourself. If something isn't right say something. If something was broken when you moved in let them know. These are things people should be doing when they move into any new apartment. Lottery or not

'by the way in 5 - 7 years, with the rent guideline increase'

I've been saying this especially with the 130AMI units and people always say I'm being negative but I'm being realistic. The fact that they are rent stabilized is not a wow factor for me. If they were rent controlled that would be something to really get hyped about.
Exactly! They are so wrapped up in excitement and not realized this building will not be affordable after 5 years for someone making 70k. The only reason I sign up is because I plan on purchasing my own in the next 5 years! so why not enjoy the view. it is only fair I benefit something because the way the government taking taxes out of my paycheck (single with no dependent) I would be damn not to sign up for a program I am qualify for.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:01 AM

196 posts, read 177,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrooklyn View Post
Are there existing issues with heating in the building? Apologies, just trying to understand the full scope of what the exact issues are that a few of you are describing.
I would like to know this as well.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 20,865 times
Just received an email from leasing office and it states that my lease it’s only for one year! I thought affordable housing leasing were for longer! Anyone

Old 10-06-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvillatoro86 View Post
Just received an email from leasing office and it states that my lease it’s only for one year! I thought affordable housing leasing were for longer! Anyone
They offer 1-2 typically. You can always re-new

Old 10-06-2022, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 20,865 times
I have a friend who won an apartment lottery and her lease was rent stabilized

Old 10-06-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvillatoro86 View Post
I have a friend who won an apartment lottery and her lease was rent stabilized
They all are. You just have to read your individual lease and see how long they are stabilized for.

Other than that they follow the usual lease that is 1 or 2 years. The perks of these is that the landlord cannot deny re-newing your lease like some market rate ones where landlords refuse to let tenants re-new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery