Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 09:24 PM

51 posts, read 40,451 times

Advertisements

I agree- best to bring it up when signing the lease. If it's a matter of waiting a bit for it to get hot is one thing. If it dosent get hot that's a big issue! I did notice it took a bit but did get hot. I did see people mention this that live there now too.

Congrats on your move in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 08:20 AM

31 posts, read 29,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camomille View Post
Thank you for the thorough insight!!! Too bad for the gym... I checked the housing connect profile and it indeed doesn't stipulate a gym.

Did they say when you can sign a lease and give you a move in date?
Quote:
Since it's a new building, I wonder if they have more control over the water lines and that they cut the hot water for the rooms that aren't occupied yet, so they can be turned on once someone moves in.

It's definitely worth mentioning though before signing any lease.
I received the first draft of my lease last week and currently have an e-mail in to the leasing office to nail down move-in date - am 100% going to speak with them further re: the hot water issue as well before signing the lease. I would feel better if I had ANY hot water (even after the few minutes I waited) when touring on Friday... so I'd like to at least get some assurance/explanation from them before signing.

Interestingly - I did find one post on this forum (much older thread, 2015) with a different building describing something that seems similar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Also normal. As the building reaches 100% occupancy, the computer system is heating the water for maximum efficiency. Thus if too many people take a shower at the same time, the system can't adjust for it that quickly so some will get warm instead of hot water. over time the system will tweak itself for which days and times require more hot water.

fyi calling the landlord to hit the override is not going to help much since this is a a building and it will take awhile until it heats up enough which is usually after you've left already.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:06 PM

196 posts, read 179,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrooklyn View Post
I received the first draft of my lease last week and currently have an e-mail in to the leasing office to nail down move-in date - am 100% going to speak with them further re: the hot water issue as well before signing the lease. I would feel better if I had ANY hot water (even after the few minutes I waited) when touring on Friday... so I'd like to at least get some assurance/explanation from them before signing.

Interestingly - I did find one post on this forum (much older thread, 2015) with a different building describing something that seems similar:
Very interesting!!

You're a 100% right, it's not something to take lightly... Keep us posted.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:40 AM

Is it possible the water in that unit wasn't on yet? Because no one was there? I'm not sure how these things work- maybe the valve was shut under the sink? I mean it could be possible if there was absolutely none?

Old 10-24-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahavcara View Post
Is it possible the water in that unit wasn't on yet? Because no one was there? I'm not sure how these things work- maybe the valve was shut under the sink? I mean it could be possible if there was absolutely none?
I had the same thought! Definitely going to bring that up with them. Also noted that the top drawer on my bathroom vanity is a dummy drawer and was glued shut lol. Not sure how they are able to get to the pipes for repairs, etc.

Also, perhaps a strange question for anyone who viewed studio units (though the same probably applies for larger units) - are there functional kitchen drawers? I only opened the kitchen cabinets and ignored the drawers completely on my tour The one below kitchen sink is obviously a dummy drawer but didn't check on the others.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I had the same thought! Definitely going to bring that up with them. Also noted that the top drawer on my bathroom vanity is a dummy drawer and was glued shut lol. Not sure how they are able to get to the pipes for repairs, etc.

Also, perhaps a strange question for anyone who viewed studio units (though the same probably applies for larger units) - are there functional kitchen drawers? I only opened the kitchen cabinets and ignored the drawers completely on my tour The one below kitchen sink is obviously a dummy drawer but didn't check on the others.
I'm viewing mine today so I can check for you as well!

Old 10-24-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I'm viewing mine today so I can check for you as well!
That would be SO great, thank you!!!! Good luck on your tour let us know what you think!

Old 10-24-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
That would be SO great, thank you!!!! Good luck on your tour let us know what you think!
Of course thank you!! And will do I'm going to ask a lot of questions lol

Old 10-24-2022, 04:03 PM

So I went to the viewing : @kbrooklyn all kitchen drawers are functional including the bottom ones (except the top one right below the sink that is there to hide plumbing etc). In the bathroom there's also a dummy cabinet to hide plumbing but bottom one is functional, and behind the mirror there is storage as well like you said.

There was sort of a weird smell coming out of the bathroom, it wasn't too bad but I asked and she said when the toilet water sort of sits for a long time without use it can do that. It made sense to me but I'll definitely look it up. Did this happen to anyone else? The agent said they would do a full cleaning of the apartment for move in and that the smell will go away.

Also, hot water didn't work in kitchen either (bathroom I forgot to try) so I'm definitely not signing anything until I know it has been addressed formally and resolved with the agency.

I have the 1 bedroom and it was super spacious I thought. Really like the kitchen which to me is the best feature and I have a ton of closet space.

I was told the courtyard on the side of the building was set to be finished around February - March.

The recreation room is not finished yet so I wasn't able to see it but she said there will be an option to reserve it once it is done for events etc.

There's storage for $125 a month if I remember right and it was mostly empty, so it's an option for those who want to.

They said that move in can be Nov 15th for me, and that they reserve the elevator for you for 2hours when you move and they pad the elevator so that we don't damage it. (I thought that was quite neat)

The laundry room looks very nice. Hallways are pretty too a nice green color on the walls (I know who cares but I noticed LOL). The overrall aesthetic of the building is pretty good - only thing is it doesn't feel super "homey" I guess because there are a lot of things awaiting construction and it literally feels like there's no one in the building. It was also a super gloomy day so that might have contributed to it.

But I have to say the Marketing agent Nami that showed me around was super duper nice.

Last edited by Camomille; 10-24-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 08:14 PM

Camomille, thanks for all of your insight and questions!

It could be the valves are off under the sink. I wonder if that is it. I am going to also address this. People who live there seem to say it works but you need to run it and when it's more at capacity and it won't be where we have to run it?

I am glad you like it! Were you one of the CB? winners? I also had Nami and she was very nice! I also saw it when it was so gloomy! I think the modern-ness of the building may mak eit feel not as homey right now? That and not too many people there and construction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery