Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 04:58 PM

14 posts, read 15,379 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Here's my situation with a bit of background. I've been applying for lotteries for like 10 years and have only been called to submit documents twice. First time was many years ago and while waiting my income went past the allotted amount and pretty much got the rejection email 2 days after handing in my docs in person. However few months ago I got an email to submit documents again which I did. Didn't know it at the time but my log number was xx when usually it's xxxxx so I was shocked. No preference for me and I was going after a 1BR in the 130 AMI. After some bad and forth exchanging documents they said they were able to offer me either a Studio in 130 and 165 AMI or a 1BR in 165.

So here's where I got confused and hopefully someone can explain. There were a limited number of 130 1BRs but my log was so low there should definitely have been one available for me. From reading this forum it seems certain groups get preferences which is fine but curious is this what happened here? So even if I had log #1 but someone else had #1000, they will get offered the 130 1BR first because they have some sort of preference?

Second point of confusion, my income is just short of the 165 1BR but they still offered it to me? Has anyone had this experience or know of this happening in the past? I'm just under but still under. I very badly want my own place but accepting would mean I'll be living above my means for a few years but that's a whole other discussion.

One last question, I read in this forum that one of the things the agent does is reach out to HR for employee verification and also to see if possibility of a raise in next 12 months? Is this the case with every lottery and every applicant? Neither my company HR or the agent mentioned anything like this.

Thank you for reading and appreciate any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 05:36 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Was this a mini lottery?

They definitely contact your HR department for income verification.
As for your other question, even though your log number was low, it wasn’t number 1. Most likely, the building you had the low log number is desirable by many and at a premium location. I imagine your case worker requested documents from a good amount of people and the person who had a lower log number got the offer.

As for 130 and 165 units- I get the same problem. I turn it down if I get offered a 165 unit.
If you fall under both, I think most likely the lower log numbers would get the 130s first and the higher log numbers the 165s.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,626,371 times
[/b][quote=thrGr81;62985672]Hi,

No preference for me and I was going after a 1BR in the 130 AMI.

There were a limited number of 130 1BRs but my log was so low there should definitely have been one available for me.

So even if I had log #1 but someone else had #1000, they will get offered the 130 1BR first because they have some sort of preference?

Yes, preferences go ahead of other numbers until the percentages for the various preferences are exhausted.

In your example #1000 goes ahead of #1 only if there are remaining units that #1000 qualifies for in size and AMI. #1000 would not get a unit if they only qualify for a 3 bedroom, and no 3 bedrooms remained. For example #999 with similar preferences filled the last 3 bedroom. But, once all preferences are exhausted they go to the lowest log#. This gets complex where there are a variety of unit sizes and AMIs.

If #1 and #1000 are seeking units at different AMI (or unit size) they are not really competitive with each other.. But, so far as I can see the only data you are sure of if how many log#s there are ahead of your own only on number ranking, not how many log# have preferences, not how many of the log#s ahead of your own are seeking the same size unit and AMI as you are. You could have a high log#, but if no log# lower than yours want a 2 bedroom then you are first inline not counting preferences.

For disability preferences in smaller lotteries the set-aside can amount to only one unit. So, having a disability preference might not be very powerful unless the log# is also low because a lower log# with a disability preference still beats a disability preference with a higher log# for the single unit.

Log #2 with a disability preference might lose out to log #1 with the same disability preference, but log#2 still has a good chance in the general population once all preference % have been filled.

Community Board preference is typically the most powerful with half of units.

Hypothetically, an applicant could qualify on all preferences mobility, vision, community board, and municipal employee and still not get a unit on preference because their log# was not low enough when the last preference unit they applied for was filled. Yet they could still get a unit because their log# was low enough in the general population and there was a unit they qualify for remaining after all preferences were exhausted. Of course, chances are better in lotteries with many units. There are lotteries with single digit number of units.

Note, not all lotteries use preferences.

Page 35 for preferences
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 02-27-2022, 09:30 PM

thank you for the detailed explanation

i was definitely not log #1. there are certainly a lot of moving parts and a bit confusing but seems like the reason i wasnt able to get the 130 1br was because of preferences

what is a mini lottery?

also has anyone experience being offered a apartment they are not really in the range of? in my case a 165 1br when my income is slightly below the allotted range? TIA

Old 02-28-2022, 08:49 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrGr81 View Post
thank you for the detailed explanation

i was definitely not log #1. there are certainly a lot of moving parts and a bit confusing but seems like the reason i wasnt able to get the 130 1br was because of preferences

what is a mini lottery?

also has anyone experience being offered a apartment they are not really in the range of? in my case a 165 1br when my income is slightly below the allotted range? TIA
I honestly think they offered you that apartment because they have had issues in the past filling 130 AMI apartments. A lot of people who make that amount don't end up going forward with the lottery housing causing them to have a bunch of empty units. They dont have that issue with lower AMI's.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:04 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrGr81 View Post

I don't know any official reason, but I can say that when my friend was in the process for an apartment, her income was lower than the bottom number of the bracket. We couldn't figure out how she had been approved. It turns out that the bottom number had been lowered, and she made it in.

I was told that the city or state comes up with the top number, and the developer supplies the bottom number. Both are subject to change. I'm speculating in your case the developer lowered the bottom number of the 165% bracket in order for more people to qualify.

As has been previously posted, landlords have trouble filling those higher-bracket units because people who make that much money tend to have other housing options.

Also, were you actually approved for the 165% bracket after the marketing agency figured out your income? Or were you just called for the 165% unit?

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-28-2022 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-28-2022, 09:09 AM

49 posts, read 42,063 times
Are you still below the income range after the marketing agent's calculation? I have a very straight forward salary and they added my yearly gains from my savings accounts and pension etc. to my annual salary, which bumped it up more than I thought.

Also, I've been applying for lotteries for 10 years as well. The times I've been called and fit different AMIs, I was given the choice of which AMI and bedroom size I wanted, if it were available.

I would assume all the preferences before you would want to pay 130% AMI instead of 165% for the same size room.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:18 PM

didnt know about the 165 units not being popular so guess that could be another reason since i'm just under and still am

good info about the developer setting the bottom number which i guess could be another possibility. i was actually offered the apt but as stated i would be living above my means for a few years so tough decision

can confirm my salary is still below the 165 low number. i get a bit of OT but not enough to make up the difference here. also have savings, 401k, stocks but dont think its enough to cover the rest either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery