Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 10,564 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm the sole leaseholder in a 421-a rent stab unit. I'm thinking about having my partner move in but how that works re: income/rent increase is not clear.
My lease states I'm allowed an additional person/roommate and they need to be added as a "registered occupant" on the lease. But it doesn't elaborate beyond that.

For those who have done this-does my partner need to also qualify re: income/other eligibility (the hoops I had to jump through)? Will the rent be increased? If so, by about how much? Any other pitfalls I need to consider?

Based on other research, some are saying his income might come in to play when I re-certify my income w/ the building but they have never asked me to that and I've lived here several years already.

I called DHCR and they said at the state level there is no eligibility requirements and they can't raise the rent for additional tenants but they don't know the rules for the city and didn't know who I could ask.

I'm trying to gather some info before going to my bldg mgmt in case it raises flags or they lie to me.

Last edited by photochic1124; 03-03-2022 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 12:59 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Are you rent stabilized? I assume you are. You are allowed to have a roommate. Plus, if you have been there several years, it should be totally fine to have your partner move in. Your rent shouldn't increase.

I'm not sure how much financial information your partner would be required to turn over, though.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:33 PM

137 posts, read 146,849 times
I was wondering same, does anyone know if you get married at some point after winning apt and moving in can you add your new spouse to lease?

Old 03-03-2022, 02:01 PM

Yes, you can certainly add your new spouse to your lease.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:23 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Yes, you should be able to move your partner in. The building may require you to register them as an occupant. If the building does eventually ask you to recertify (who knows whether it's required, the rules vary), he may have to provide his information but it should NOT affect the rent.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:25 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
...Note that if you add your partner to the lease, they will gain occupancy rights, so think carefully about the implications of that.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:57 PM

14 posts, read 15,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Are you rent stabilized? I assume you are. You are allowed to have a roommate. Plus, if you have been there several years, it should be totally fine to have your partner move in. Your rent shouldn't increase.

I'm not sure how much financial information your partner would be required to turn over, though.
how does one know if their HPD apt is rent stabilized?

Old 03-04-2022, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrGr81 View Post
how does one know if their HPD apt is rent stabilized?
From what I have seen, most/all lottery apartments are under either rent stabilization or another kind of regulation.

On the top of the first page of my lease, it says Renewal Lease Form, and under that it says wording to the effect that the lease is “issued under section 2523.5(a) of the rent stabilization code.”

Then, attached to the lease is a New York City Lease Rider for Rent Stabilized Tenants. And it says, “Failure by an owner to attach a copy of this rider to the tenant's lease without cause may result in a fine or other sanctions.” This rider is 12 pages long and lays out the rules for rent-stabilization: renewal leases, security deposits, increases, major capital improvements, subletting and assignment, eviction, etc.

Tenants are required to sign this rider, along with the landlord.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,774 times
I am in the same boat now. What ever happened?

Old 10-27-2022, 06:32 PM

585 posts, read 583,989 times
The lottery apartment that I live in said I can't add anyone to my lease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: