Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

Hello I currently have a FHEPS voucher for 1 bedroom ($1945). I have a 7 year old son who will be 8 in a few weeks. I was recently contacted by a housing lottery and was approved for a 1 bedroom however my income is enough to pay for a 2 bedroom based off the income requirements. The leasing manager told me I only qualify for a 1 bedroom because of my voucher but I thought the whole point in the lottery was based off income. Can anybody help me with advice on how to go about getting a two bedroom? I will take the 1 bedroom if it’s my only option but I need to know how this works exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 12:37 PM

726 posts, read 808,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrawright2 View Post
Hello I currently have a FHEPS voucher for 1 bedroom ($1945). I have a 7 year old son who will be 8 in a few weeks. I was recently contacted by a housing lottery and was approved for a 1 bedroom however my income is enough to pay for a 2 bedroom based off the income requirements. The leasing manager told me I only qualify for a 1 bedroom because of my voucher but I thought the whole point in the lottery was based off income. Can anybody help me with advice on how to go about getting a two bedroom? I will take the 1 bedroom if it’s my only option but I need to know how this works exactly.
If you want a 2 bedroom you would have to pay out of pocket and give up your voucher. The voucher is the issue here not housing requirements.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:25 PM

137 posts, read 146,951 times
Quote:
Oh wow I know on Section 8 voucher they say you can take a bigger apt if it fits the rent amount. Maybe because its FHEPS? just curious what log number where you? and any preferences. I am trying to keep hope with my higher log numbers lol

Old 03-12-2022, 03:42 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
Yes, FHEPS only allows 1 ”sleeping area” per 2 people. Fairly obnoxious. Sorry!

Old 03-12-2022, 05:50 PM

954 posts, read 933,562 times
Quote:
You only qualify for a 1 bedroom based on FHEPS. PLease read the manual or handbook when you sign up for these things it answers all of your questions
Attached Thumbnails
FHEPS voucher-3182e1c2-ca18-45ca-8c7e-57076eafab4d.jpeg  

Old 03-13-2022, 10:05 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
here's the thing...
if you were OFFERED a 2 bedroom under $1945, you can take it
the leasing manager you spoke to, was probably outta 2 bedrooms

Old 03-14-2022, 06:16 AM

726 posts, read 808,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
here's the thing...
They won’t offer it due to her voucher being for a 1br they won’t cover anything over a 1br

Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM

200 posts, read 219,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomChaser View Post
Oh wow I know on Section 8 voucher they say you can take a bigger apt if it fits the rent amount.
This phrase of yours may mislead readers. "on Section 8", voucher-size eligibility is determined by family composition. Does anyone know for sure whether one is allowed to sign lease on larger-amount-of-bedrooms, even if a certain 2-bedroom happens to fall under 1-bedroom rent price standard? HPD uses term "overhousing"; does term apply only to "voucher issued" OR to "apartment-size lease signed" too?

Old 03-14-2022, 09:11 AM

954 posts, read 933,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
here's the thing...
No she can not. I posted a screenshot of what she can take

Old 03-14-2022, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 5,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
If you want a 2 bedroom you would have to pay out of pocket and give up your voucher. The voucher is the issue here not housing requirements.
Thank you I just wanted a better understanding I’m taking the 1 bedroom for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery