Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 10:42 AM

178 posts, read 242,190 times

Advertisements

I am sure all buildings have their own way of doing things; but for those who have already won lotteries and been through this process, how much time in between lease-signing and move in date was given? I am waiting on a building that will "supposedly" be move in ready in April; they are still insisting April, yet I have not heard back regarding lease signing date. I was told 3rd week of March would be lease signing appointment which will be next week, but I thought we would be given a heads up regarding when we would be moving prior to that since we have to give our current building notice of ending this lease. Do they usually have you sign lease and move in date is set for over 30 days later? Or is it sign lease and you can move in 2 weeks after or sooner?

Thanks for any feedback in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 11:41 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
My personal experience was about one month after lease signing.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:45 AM

@dime99 , thank you for your reply! That sounds sensible. Although I want to move sooner than later I do want to give adequate notice to my current building of my move. I was worried maybe move in will be like April 15 to which I wouldn't be giving them a fair notice. I know I will know soon enough, probably the day we sign the lease; I just wanted possibilities. Thank you again.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:50 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom02 View Post
@dime99 , thank you for your reply! That sounds sensible. Although I want to move sooner than later I do want to give adequate notice to my current building of my move. I was worried maybe move in will be like April 15 to which I wouldn't be giving them a fair notice. I know I will know soon enough, probably the day we sign the lease; I just wanted possibilities. Thank you again.
It's exciting times and also nerve-racking. Congrats!!!

Old 03-16-2022, 12:50 PM

@dime99 yes! lol exciting and nerve-racking at the same time haha. But thank you

Old 03-17-2022, 01:20 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
I think it varies a lot and depends on the management/leasing company. I signed a lease for my current lotto building in 2019 and the lease started that day (the middle of the month), I could have moved right in. I had some overlap with the lease for the place I was moving out of so I took my time moving over the course of about 2 weeks.

From what I have heard, most places want you to start your lease the 1st of the next month, however far away that is, but sometimes you can negotiate for it to start sooner or later depending on your situation. Sometimes they won't accommodate you though and it's sort of take it or leave it.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
I think it varies a lot and depends on the management/leasing company. I signed a lease for my current lotto building in 2019 and the lease started that day (the middle of the month), I could have moved right in. I had some overlap with the lease for the place I was moving out of so I took my time moving over the course of about 2 weeks.

From what I have heard, most places want you to start your lease the 1st of the next month, however far away that is, but sometimes you can negotiate for it to start sooner or later depending on your situation. Sometimes they won't accommodate you though and it's sort of take it or leave it.
That's wild but it is something i thought possible. I saw some videos on youtube of people that have won apartments and it seemed like lease signing day they basically got keys right away or a couple days later which is why I asked. I guess I might lose out on my security deposit where I live if I can't give 30 days notice but it is what it is. I will know soon enough what this developers plans are. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:48 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom02 View Post
That's wild but it is something i thought possible. I saw some videos on youtube of people that have won apartments and it seemed like lease signing day they basically got keys right away or a couple days later which is why I asked. I guess I might lose out on my security deposit where I live if I can't give 30 days notice but it is what it is. I will know soon enough what this developers plans are. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Thats how it was. I signed my lease in an office literally at the building and I was given the keys right on the spot. I was surprised and was like "so, like, can I just go over there, its mine?" and the guy was like "yeah, whatever you want"

It seems like so much of this process is hurry up and then wait with 0 information, then hurry up again or you lose the apartment, it's crazy. Good luck though, I hope it works out for you!

Old 03-18-2022, 06:05 PM

@linamonroll I agree... hurry up submit docs, then wait without much info, then hurry up and sign and move in. But i just read in another thread my building won't be done till end of April so looks like more waiting for me sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: